New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Tiger82 from Down Under!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tiger82 from Down Under!

Hi Guys

Just an Aussie and his wife doing the big mid life crisis thing! Youngest of three finishes school and moves out, had to do something dumb!

So, buy a car over the Internet half way round the other side of the world and plan a trip around the UK and the Republic of Ireland. But no, not just any car, it had to be a Jaguar XKR Convertible, platinum silver that goes like a cut cat. Not sure if you northern hemisphere guys are familiar with that term, but in the land of Oz that implies fast and gets there smartly (although I do believe the term would apply to most animals, given a similar circumstance!).

The trip started about 10 days ago after 21hrs and 35mins of flying via Dubai, from Australia. A friend in the UK (another car enthusiast)had organised to have the car serviced and checked prior to the big trip (Sturgess in Leicester). That's when it was discovered the rear wheel was not the correct size and a wheel alignment couldn't be completed after fitting two new front tyres. It was then Lurker (a forum member, whom I followed a couple of times in his XKR and didn't do much lurking) who came to the rescue. He has been an amazing help, organised everything from shipping to fitting and a wheel alignment, all very much appreciated by a couple of Aussies who had pre booked most of their accommodation and were on a very tight schedule. I am convinced you could put a bunch of car enthusiasts from all over in one room for a week and you would sort out most of the worlds problems (and they accept payment in beer).

The trip so far! Solihull, Duxford, Norwich overnight. Norwich, York 2 nights. York, Edinburgh via the coast 2 nights. To come! Edinburgh, Inverness, Loch Awe 2 nights. Loch Awe, Larne via the ferry from Cairnryan, Port Somewhere 1 night(that's not a place, I just can't remember it's name) in the northern part of Ireland. Down to Donegal for 2 nights. Galway 2 nights. Killarney 2 nights. Dublin 4 nights (to catch up with my next door neighbour in Aus who's going to teach me how to drink Guinness). Back via the ferry to Cairnryan then Lake Windermere 2 nights. Haven't booked anything from here but hope to head to Wales ,Bath and Exeter before returning to London for 4 night and back to Aus.

So far we have had fantastic weather,(Not sure why you Britons all rave about Aussie weather ,we've had sun block on for the past 9 days, one of the down falls of owning a convertible) and we have met some amazingly friendly and helpful people along the way.

Regards

tiger82 (Steve)

The following 2 users liked this post by tiger82:
JimC64 (06-14-2013), Steve8 (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Ok Steve...so you were in the army? That's too organised for me! I'm thinking your in the UK summer maybe? Not sure where in Oz you come from but in the lower Sth East corner it is 1 degree this morning,followed by a bright sunny day.
Nice to see this forum extends into a tangible state too. Does the car make it back to Oz with you? Steering wheel being on the right side and all and could convert into luggage.
Extremely jealous of what you are doing and hope it all goes to plan...Enjoy!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum Steve,

Thanks for filling us in on the trip sounds like a lot of fun, I hope the sun shines for the run down the coast to Cairnryan.
Take plenty of pics and we'll be looking forward to your trip report!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum and the Jag family - sounds like an awesome trip in a Jag that is meeting your expectations - this is a great place for info and support to keep the cat purring and as you have seen some great folks willing to help. Enjoy the rest of the trip and the Jag

Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Steve (tiger82), I had to do more than just welcome you to this forum, where you'll find friendly members. a lot of good advice, and only a smattering of stories that can top yours. I had to give you your first Thanks for making such a trip, and for sharing it with us. Keep it up!

Happy motoring, and I hope you continue to find fair weather.

Another Steve

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-14-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Respect

Old 06-09-2013, 02:10 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Sounds like one of those "trips of a lifetime" well done

So what are your plans for the car when it's time to go home? You can't take it back to Oz...

Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see you.

Reading this, I guess that you'll sleep most of the flight home.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:32 AM
Received 10,520 Likes on 6,949 Posts

Welcome to our world.

That is a purchase experience that ONLY an Aussie could do.

We will travel literally anywhere for any half reasonable reason, and a BEER.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link

Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.

Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 06-15-2013, 03:57 AM
Default Thanks for the warm welcome

I have tried to post some screen shots of the trip so far and a couple of pics with Lukers coupe and my car out the front of the Ardanaiseig hotel in Argyll Scotland. Not ure if they will go through, will give it a go byway.

Tiger82
Steve

Attached Thumbnails Tiger82 from Down Under!-image.jpg  
Old 06-15-2013, 04:01 AM

Ok, that didn't work! I'll now read the instructions.

Steve

Old 06-15-2013, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey Steve, great intro full of info and sounds like a full on & interesting trip.

Nice pic of the Jag in front of the hotel too.

Why not start a thread in the off topic section, one dedicated to your trip?
Then you can update it with your trip info, how the Jag performs on the journey and pics of her in ALL the different places........

We have a few threads like that here n there........pretty cool

Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Received 10,520 Likes on 6,949 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger82
Ok, that didn't work! I'll now read the instructions.

Steve
AHA, a true Aussie, read the instructions LAST.

I can see fun is going to had here, the only way to do it.

Our "mob" just had a beer or 3 or 4 (Fosters, West End, Home brew, Cascade) for you to toast your buying venture, mainly jealousy, but what the heck, a drink is a drink.

Now the crabs and prawns are ready on the BBQ, so the JD will make an appearance.

Enjoy.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

HaHa Grant...Our "mob" just had a beer or 3 or 4 (Fosters, West End, Home brew, Cascade) for you to toast your buying venture, mainly jealousy, but what the heck, a drink is a drink.

Any excuse! XXXX would just about complete the know your states by beer! And celebrating tiger82's holiday? Steve should be happy with that,wonder what state he hails from? If all else fails read the instructions is universal oz. Yeah start a thread on your trip Steve with a schedule like that you may have a few seconds here and there.
Well that's made me thirsty..Beer?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:05 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Steve,

Sounds a great trip. Let's see more pics.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham