New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Tranny woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny woes

My friend told me how much it was going to cost him to have tranny lines replaced on 1999 xj8 He asked me to have a look as I have previous garage experience. I saw right off that the lines had rubbed against a/c compressor. I cut them and sleeved with fuel hose, double clamped, leak fixed. Got bad advise, was told that fill plug was at front of tranny. I loosend a plug that is spring loaded,driver side.Found this web site and got accurate advice on real plug location.topped off fluid. She has a rough shift comming out of first gear on hard acceleration.I dropped the pan,was impressed that it holds two magnets.The shavings were minnimal.Installed new filter and fluid, still rough shift.The questions are, what is spring loaded plug, And is it that critical to top off fluid at 45 to 50 degrees. one post here said he ran his in gear on a lift at 90 mph to top off. That seems spooky to me. And thanks again for all past help.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there and welcome to the site, Good to have you here with us......

Hopefully we can help, but this is the new member section and only really to welcome newbies aboard....try posting into the relevant section for your car....

Hope you enjoy your time here, some great members / techs and DIY Tips that you should find useful
In the meantime I've upgraded you too Full forum access so you can better view the sites features Enjoy.....

Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

porpoise, what part of VA are you in? Welcome to the forums. LIke Jim said, you probably are not going to get many responses to what you are looking for.

Taking a stab in the dark, I would venture to guess that the plug you removed is for the second gear shift solenoid/shifting mechanism. It is possible the ball for the shifting solenoid got moved a little bit and now it is not letting the hole get plugged all the way. Also, make sure that you have the spring positioned correctly. If you don't set it like it needs to be, you are altering the pressure on the shift mechanism and it will cause it to shift funny. May be worth a shot to pull that plug back out and do a detailed inspection. Make sure there isn't a lip that the spring has to sit down and into so it will be in the proper location.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you here and I hope you get the gearbox straighened out.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum, if you try the 90 mph on a lift be sure to point the video camera at the wall, to capture the moment when more day light suddenly pours into the garage

Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Default most grateful

Many thanks for everyones input and humor. Including web sit navagation and protocol. Am going to revisit said jag today and will report back. May YOUR jaguars remain tick free & flee.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Default I got all moist

I have found it to be exciting to hammer this 99 xj8. "I have joy" It literally gave me chills when she shifted, So strong and smooth. Thank you thermo, I re-visited shift spring and made sure all is good.Thank you Translator. I jacked er up at the curb, put er on blocks, ran er in drive at IDLE, topped er fluid off cold, cuz I hear she likes it at 45-50 degrees. and I had plenty of daylight. LOL. And thank you Gus. As soon as I figure out what my signature is, I will put info in. In summary, I got excellent mechanical advice a good laugh, and help learning to navagate a wed site. I have become a Jaguar enthusiast.