New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

UK Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UK Insurance

Hello to everyone,
I am new to the forum, having just bought a 2002 XKR convertible as an 80th birthday present to myself, partly through reading the posts in this forum, but mainly because the car is so beautiful!
I was thinking back to the cars I have owned I the course of my long life (Too long I hear muttered from the back of the room). Too many to list, but concentrating on drop head sports cars, I have owned, in no particular order:a prewar drophead Mercedes (found in a barn when I was stationed in Germany), TR3, DB3, Triumph Stag, Sunbeam Alpine, MG Midget, MGA, MGB, and a Triumph Spitfire. I have loved them all (except the Spitfire) but Jaguars were always out of my financial reach, until now.

I live abroad half the year, so what I really want is a six month insurance, leaving the car locked away on SORN for the winter months. The cheapest I have been able to find on the price comparison websites is just under £500, and they were not interested in anything less than 12 months. It seems a lot for a car which will only come out when the sun is shining, and an annual mileage of less than 3000 (I have a little Yaris as a runabout.)
There must be many members who take their cars off the road in winter. Can anyone offer me any advice? Also, if anyone could point me in the right direction on insurance companies, it would be appreciated.
Mike

Old 03-31-2013, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mikecboats! There is a specific model section for your car at: XK / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and one for your region, which might be helpful in finding out that insurance info: UK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
mikecsboats (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mike,

Thank you for a fascinating Intro.

I'm very much your junior at a mere 63 but hope to continue driving these cars at your age and beyond.

I use my XK8 as a daily driver and have another vehicle which is usually garaged from November through to March. Like you, I've considered SORN but in the end always found an annual limited mileage policy to be the most cost effective option despite the 5 months VED loss. I've sent you a PM (forum Private Message) with details of a broker who may be able to offer you favourable terms.

Follow this link XK8 / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK8/XKR section for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You may also like to visit the UK Region section by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/uk-68/ to find other members in this country.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 03-31-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mike,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mike
I insure with Saga who are supposed to cater for us pensioners lol
The annual premium is less than £300...I could dig out the paperwork if need be...I have maximum NCB, limited to 2000 miles p/y
I think postcode is very relevent to the quote also.

I think you will struggle to get 6 monthly insurance

Suggest you go to their site for a quote....but I always take out by phone and haggle lol

I guess your list surpasses mine.
AH sprite (Supercharged) AH sprite n/a MGB X2 TR5 E-Type 5.3 Lotus Esprit Turbo SE TVR Griffith 4.3 (the most fun)

Old 03-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

sorry I can't help with your insurance query...

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

The following users liked this post:
mikecsboats (04-02-2013)