New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Where's Waldo

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Where's Waldo

I've put something on here once before but did not introduce myself. I am retired from 40 years from Whirlpool Corporation, the last 20 being IT. I bought myself my dream car, against my wife's wishes.

A red with white interior 1999 XK8. I live in Waldo, Ohio. Yes I can tell you where's Waldo! I have been building cars since 1971, from Corvettes to 1934 coupes to a Grand Am style race car, which I now have for sale.

I am a luthier now building custom electric Guitars for people. The XK8 was a one owner spotless always in the garage perfect car. It has 90,000 miles on it and no it hasn't had the tensioners changed yet.

I am setting up my garage for the winter to change everything. Even though it runs noiseless perfect. I am changing all four chains and tentioners, all hoses to mesh stainless steel, new air conditioner condenser, water pump and thermostat, spark plugs, will clean out all water from coils and jackets for new waterless coolent, new performance intake and exhaust and maybe a few other things.

What surprises me is that most people on this site don't do their own work. That is why I wanted this car it takes a little work to keep it sport perfect. There is nothing like tearing into a vehicle engine, electronics or whatever and making it better than it was.

All you people who are taking your cars to dealers or so called mechanics are missing out on the main reason for having a performance car. You learn what makes it tick! And you don't have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it.

Come on guys, don't be afraid to get dirty, it's fun! And one car is much like any other, they're all internal combustion engines. Some have one cam and others have four, some have turbos and some don't. How can you truly give advice to people if you don't know how it really works.

Who would you believe, someone who's read about it or someone that has actually done it. I have always done my own work since the early 70s when my 1967 Nova SS with a 68 Z28 302 was blowing everything off the street.

Give it a try people and then maybe you can actually help someone with a problem.

I am not trying to be hostile or brag for that matter, just stating a real fact. If you do it you know it! I hope I am not creating haters just want to be a part of a group that loves one of the finest machines made.

And I hope that I can contribute to knowledge that is needed on the site.

And yes I even watch Mike and Edd! Hello all and hope I make some friends here!

Last edited by JimC64; 11-16-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: PLEASE ADD LINE BREAKS!!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum willela,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link XK8 / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK8/XKR forum for advice, information and to post your own input.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA Mid West Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...n-mo-oh-wi-39/
to find other members in your region - perhaps even as close as Marion or Columbus.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 11-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - follow the links Graham has provided to a wealth of info and support - enjoy!!!!!

Old 11-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,348 Likes on 5,432 Posts

I think you'll find that most members here work on their own cars. Most of us have learned to some degree what makes our specific cars tick, but if/when we get stuck there are other members who have had their very hands into that very part and can tell us everything about it.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 11-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums willela,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Welcome Willea

I think you will find the older the Jag the more likely the owner works on it himself. This is especially true in North America and Australia.

Lots of us are DIYers, heck I changed the heating element in my Whirlpool dryer last night.

if you were running around Hwy 161 in Columbus in the 70s do you remember a Lindon Green '67 Lemans with a 400ci, Big Blocks ruled the day.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fulton,
I probably ran into you back then. I first had a 64 Nova SS, then a 69 Nova SS and then my completely built from the ground up 67 Nova SS with a 68 302 engine that we sprayed candy blue with flip flop strips on the hood and air brushed the opening scene from the original Frankenstein movie with the castle on the hill and bats flying everywhere.

I won a few awards for my airbrushing. And by the way I worked at Whirlpool Corporation for 40 years, the last 20 being and iT geek in HR and taught computer technology at MTC in Marion. Small world.

I always wanted a red XK8 with white leather interior and now I have it. Getting ready to do the timing chain tensioners, all hoses, air conditioner condenser, plugs, water pump, everything.

I've got all stainless steel mesh hoses and tubing to go back, it will look awesome when I'm done. Then I ran into that stupid leaking rear view mirror. It messed up the black plastic around the shifter but I refinished it so now I'm just waiting for a replacement.

I sent in an email to that company that is representing the bone head company that designed it for a replacement. It never surprises me that the cars that are higher end that are suppose to be called Sports Cars sometimes have some of the cheapest junk.

I wonder if this is partly Fords fault but I won't go there. I now also build electric guitars for people. I'm a luthier. Nice hearing from someone that seems close to my area. You take care and let's make these sports cars better than they were when they came out.

See yah!

Last edited by JimC64; 11-30-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: please add line breaks