New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

why cant i see pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why cant i see pics

you have to post 10 times b4 you can see pics? seems odd. and not very welcoming

this is post 5

Old 05-16-2010, 07:41 AM

Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Welcome, it may sound unfriendly but this is the most welcoming forums in the net
If you read a sticky thread posted by Dear Admin JimC64 , you should see why

Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Kerrhill
I can assure that "not very welcoming" is NOT a phrase that anyone generally uses to describe this site, in fact, usually the exact opposite.
There are very good reasons why this is the case....Please read the "New members MUST READ" post stickied in the new members section for a run down on why.
Hope you continue to enjoy the site and full access will be granted sometime soon I'm sure

Old 05-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome aboard Kerrhill, so instead of just dropping smilies into 5 year old posts, here and there, why not post up a proper intro', in that way I am sure you will be welcomed in the appropriate manner.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 AM

I read the sticky. I wonder how many Jaguar owners give up on the registration process because they cant access any features of the site in the 1st 10 days.

Why not have a anti spam question like other forums?

I didnt do an intro because seriously, who reads those? I have a 97 xk8 with a inop driver window. trying to find resources to replace/ repair it
that is pretty much it.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

This type of post chaps me.

Everyone loves to be used then tossed aside when not needed anymore.

Everything for free and right now seems your belief. At least your honest, I'll give you that, but that's not going to promote any willingness to jump on your issue. Its only 10 posts and 3 days. If that's not worth the potential rewards the help will bring you, I have no problem pointing you down the WWW freeway. I hope your approach changes a bit.

BTW, if you look at the New Member threads, there's at least 5-6 replies to all the new registrants, and they generally appreciate being welcomed by us, and not just us mods. We try to make the new guys/gals feel comfortable to ask questions and contribute to the forum community.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 AM

h20 boy,
The thing is, I dont know if it is "worth the potential rewards the help will bring you" I cant access anything. most of the posts that have related to my issue have had pictures.

I am not trying to be rude, but why not simply take my comments as helpful criticism, and not offer to "point me down the freeway"

Your paradigm here is not one that is widely accepted, and if I hadn't posted something that, for some reason, has ruffled the feathers of every moderator in cyberspace i don't know that i'd be back in here.

i am a member of

bimmerforums.com
Benzworld.org
mimf.com
TDPRI.com
volksrods.com
mylespaul.com
fenderforum.com
reranch.com
killbillet.com
unofficialwarmoth.com
namgbr.org

and several others. And I am an active participant on all of these. None of them have this waiting period. I am not angry, just pointing out that as a brand new user, it is not standard operating procedure.

I apologize if for some reason you have taken offense to the slightest bit of feedback, but yes I do expect a forum to be free. They all are. If you want to charge, then charge for participation and I will gladly pay for the answers to questions provided they are helpful.

What i am frustrated with is the reluctance to allow a curious person to access pictures and links. makes this site seem very pretentious.

I was a member of benzforums well before i ever had a benz, and the info i gathered up front from that site empowered me to make that decision.

The logic behind your 3 day waiting period is flawed, and i think it is counterproductive.

If this continues to chap you, and you feel that the best thing is to kick me off, it is unfortunate, but I will accept it and go back to the bimmerforums.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

kerr, firstly, I posted a welcome message to your intro, before reading this morning's post here.

Though I am not educated, allowed, nor trained to modify forum software privileges, I can only presume that the inaccessibility to images and documents hosted on the forum servers are an unfortunate casualty to the 3-day, 10 post restriction that we recently instituted, not 6 months ago.

If it were possible, and with some coaxing and correspondence from the mods and admin to our host/owner, we may be able to selectively bring back some of the more desirable features, the first being those images and documents. In order to keep our spammers at bay, I specifically asked for photo gallery, classified posts, and the PM and email restrictions. What we got were a large blanket of limitations. That, as I said, was only the first 'forum-wide' response to our troublesome SPAM attacks. We do hope to keep improving, so that we can find the best balance to fulfill everyone's needs.

Now, let's move forward, and you can find some solutions to the car's window problem. If you stick around after that, you'll be most welcome.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I've got to start posting before I can see pics. I'll start here.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

Welcome King! Say hi to another 6 people, join the off-topic threads about words and questions (never went over there to see what that's all about), and you'll see the magic!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 10

Generally speaking, moost new members understand about the waiting period, which, I myself have seen in force on other forums too.
Its been a very effective tool in helping to keep the spammers at bay in almost every sense and works well.
You're not far off....a few posts to welcome other newbies, maybe a pic in the mug shot thread or one ofthe other off topic threads, maybe one in the regional / detailing section and bam...you're there

Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 AM

I'm a relatively new member too. I'm in agreement with the original poster. I would like to see the photos too. But, that being said, I will wait it out. I don't own a Jaguar, yet, so I don't have any urgency.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering why I couldn't view the photos, either. Thought maybe I had hit a wrong key and blew up a quarter of the earth somewhere and made someone mad at me. lol

Old 05-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 9

Guys, I have to say I totally understand where H20boy is coming from, however, I do see the new members points of view also. Having said that....It is the way it is and thats that
It works very well to help protect against the constant barrage of abusive spams / pms etc we encountered not so long ago.
What always amazes me is the I want it now attitude, with little / no input!
The forum is a cool place to be and usually plenty going on, rather than bemoan the fact that you do not have access to this or that....You now know what you have to achieve to gain access.
So, dive in, meet like minded members, welcome other newbies, post into the mug shot thread or any number of similar threads in the off topic section. Drop a post into the regional section to say hi..do all of the above and the 10 post count will be a distant memory and a few days later full access will be yours.
Its not difficult!

Niles - full access
Ysgeye - full access

Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Default ?

that so dumb

Old 05-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

No disrespect to anyone who has posted into this thread, but I have pretty much had enough of all this me, me, me, bleating.

As some of you have seen, a positive, polite request, usually leads to a speedy, and positive change of status.

I am locking this thread.

New Members pleae read the New Member Guidelines