New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

XJS 5 seater?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Default XJS 5 seater?

Colleagues.
Hi to all! I'm looking into joining your prestigious ranks. I looking at an opportunity of purchasing a 1976 XJS coupe, a car that I have admired for a great deal of time.
The problem that I'm facing at present the car is not close to home, and the better half thinks we should make a little trip to pick up this vehicle, I.E fly up and drive it back with the family. This is my concern, the XJS is simply a 2+2 meaning a 4 seater simply, where I have 3 children. I need a 5 seater.
Looking at the rear bench seat I can not see why a lap seat belt cannot be added (piggybacked basically) of the existing 2 seat belt clips, simply for the trip home. Foam padding can cut and placed to make the seat straight and more comfortable.
Has this being done prior?
Any suggestions?

Cheers and thanks.
Katoh

Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Katoh,

The issue isn't so much three in the back seat as the available legroom. Look at this very closely and consider whether your three children would be comfortable for any distance:

With an unknown vehicle and a long trip, the possibility of a breakdown is always there. It sounds like a great idea but i.m.ho. a solo trip is the wiser choice.

Follow this link XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJS section for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

After Googling, I think your location is Australian Capital Territory? If so, you may also like to visit the Australia / New Zealand Region section by following this link Australia / New Zealand - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to find other members in your part of the World.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails XJS 5 seater?-1994%2520jaguar%2520xj-s%2520%252810%2529.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Katoh (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks Graham for your quick response. I realize leg room is quite at a shortage in the XJS in the rear, and if my children where any older I definitely wouldn't be thinking along these lines.
You are also correct in my location. The Vehicle is just on 2500 kilometers away and what we were contemplating is doing the trip over 8 days. Driving 3-4 hours with a stop and spending the night in a different town. As far as breakdown goes, premium roadside insurance should take care of that one.
A solo trip I would do if it was closer indeed.
Ill try the XJS section of the forum as you suggested.
If all goes well and I actually take possession of the car, I will definitely put details in and post some pictures.
Thanks Muchly
Katoh

Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Welcome to the forum Katoh,

Good to have you with us.
Can't you persuade the wife that it would be a nice trip just for the two of you?
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Can't you persuade the wife that it would be a nice trip just for the two of you?
Yeah that will be Nice!
With the children only aged 8, 10, and 12 Don't really think that will happen, and so we get back to reality.

Ill definitely put some specs on the car in once I purchase it, if I purchase it?

Cheers Again
Katoh

Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Received 4,292 Likes on 3,710 Posts

welcome to the forum

Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM

Gentlemen
Many thanks for your warm greetings, sounds like a wonderful forum and a great bunch of people. Pleasure to be here!
Hopefully all goes well and I will be a proud owner of a classic Jag as so I can actually participate in this wonderful forum.
Cheers

Katoh

Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 AM
GGG

Katoh,

Posting pics of the trip back would make an excellent start. We all like seeing Jaguars in scenic locations.

Graham

Old 05-15-2013, 07:58 AM

G'Day friends
Just a quick update, I have abandoned the third seat belt for the long trip back idea, after lots of discussion and some actual hands on sizing we both agree that 3 children in the the back seat will only lead to to tears and the possibility road side abandonment! most probably the jag!
If all goes well then it will be me and off course the much better half

More than likely when back home I will still have to add the 3rd seat belt for club rally's and meetings. I doubt that anyone would say no when its an outing accompanied with historic cars and dad's shout for lunch.
"Any way to turn it into a seven seater?" I here shouts from the background from dear old mum and the dog also Maybe I just have to buy a trailer, or to be equal and fair & just and not prejudice at all, simply go alone.

OK on a serious note now, I haven't heard back from the person going to inspect the car for me, so I'm getting a bit edgy. I rang the owner and asked if he would mind if I got the RACQ to do an inspection, he didn't mind at all, a good sign, from a buyers point of view.
A question for you experts, I'm not too worried about the mechanical aspects, they can be fixed, but the body is of major concern with me. What should you look for in an second hand XJS, that could or would become terminal to the car?

Cheers
Katoh

Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 AM
GGG

It'll be a better trip with the just two of you and the owner's reaction to the inspections is good news.

For advice on bodywork, some of our members in the XJS section have had their cars down to the last nut and bolt to resolve corrosion issues - the plague of Jaguar owners in the Northern Hemisphere. Post this question in the XJS tech section and you should get some excellent advice on what to look for.

Graham