New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Xjs seat recline

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017 | 07:55 AM
|
Default Xjs seat recline

Hello, I am brand new to the forum having just purchased a 1995 xjs.
my drivers seat is stuck in the recline position, so I took it out of the car to start diagnosing the problem.
i have read that it could be the switch, the module, the wiring shorted or the motor. My first desire is to see if I can power the motor to see if it works, then at least put the seat in a position I can drive it until I find the problem.
the wires that control the motor are slate, slate and brown, purple, purple and slate, and a slate and green wire.
can someone tell me which wires I can connect to the positive and negative battery terminals to test the motor and possibly get the seat back in position? I have read that it is possibly the module, so I just want to first be assured the motor is working since I read that a bad motor would harm the module.
thanks

Old 10-25-2017 | 09:13 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Wire wheel guy,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/ to the XJS forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Southern Midwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...rn-midwest-67/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-25-2017 | 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hello,
Congratulations on your new XJS! I'm sorry it's giving you a little trouble already.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-25-2017 | 03:21 PM
|
Default Answered my quest

I have seen several questions on this same subject, and no answers, so I thought I would answer it myself after just experimenting.
you can test the motor by hooking the gray (slate) wire to the positive terminal and the gray/brown wire to the negative or switch them around to see if the motor runs in the other direction. There is no reason to use any of the other wires for testing the motor.
i am sure this is an over simplification, but for those that don’t read electrical diagrams well, it works.
this, of course, works on the 1995 xjs and I don’t know about any other models.
My motor works, so my recline problem is probably in the control module.
Jim
1995 XJS convertible

Old 10-25-2017 | 03:36 PM

Welcome aboard Jim.

Old 10-26-2017 | 03:24 AM

Welcome.

Well sorted.

Hopefully you, or Graham, will copy this to the XJS section, so it can be archived for all others.

Thanks for coming back with a solution.

Old 10-26-2017 | 04:03 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-26-2017 | 05:49 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Wire wheel guy,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-26-2017 | 06:22 AM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!!!