New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

an XKR Good morning, from Chattanooga, Tennessee

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default an XKR Good morning, from Chattanooga, Tennessee

Oops, guess I jumped into the forums without a proper introduction. Sorry about that.

About a year ago, I realized that it was time to start thinking about a sports car. Had a VW GTI from 1985-1989 and had been driving a 1989 Toyota pickup since. Never really liked the Toyota, but it worked, as long as I repaired, replaced, or rebuilt stuff.

As I neared the half-century mark and completing a masters' degree, my wife actually encouraged my thoughts of a sports car. My brother said, "You should get a car that will put a smile on your face." I started looking. No rush, just exploring. I wanted a convertible.

In January 2012 my wife started pushing me. It was narrowing to Boxster, 911, SL 500, maybe SLK, and still open. The 2011 Camaro SS definitely put a great big smile on my face! Loved the power, the HUD, and the sound, but hated the gear box and the build quality.

She made appointments for us to see three Boxsters in Atlanta on March 2, the day another tornado hit our area (that part wasn't planned). The Boxsters were cool, they handled well, but I wanted something nicer than my budget really afforded (probably 10-12 years old or a lesser car) and they just weren't what I was really looking for, though I didn't know what that was.

Drove a Z4 at a dealer. It was okay, but I didn't think it really had the punch I wanted. The salesman riding with me said he felt like it set him back in the seat when I punched it. Yeah, okay.

I was on the phone with work (I'm responsible for life safety issues and the storms were coming through earlier than anticipated) while were were driving between appointments and watching lots for cars. Saw a pretty little Boxster on a lot so pulled in. As I was still on the phone, Abby said she'd scout the lot. When I got out, she said we weren't interested in the Boxster (year), but there was a Corvette, a BMW, and a Jaguar to look at. The Vette was nice, and twice my budget. The BMW was an M3. A friend had suggested that to me, but it didn't make my heart flutter. Next to the M3 was a pewter XKR. Sexy!

I knew a Jaguar wasn't for us. the XKE was the last beautiful car they made that I knew of, but, hmmmm, this was pretty. She slipped into the passenger seat and gushed, "I'm a Jaguar girl!" The price was a little above my budget, but that's the starting point, right? Ooohh, look at that would and feel the leather. Okay. Take it for a drive. Hmmm. It had a little pep. Drop the top. Ahhhhhh, nice. Once rolling, PUNCH it. OH, YEAH! That launch feeling is what I'm looking for! I'm a V-8 guy! There's a grin.

The steering didn't feel right on it, and the salesman had some, um, odd explanations for issues I asked about, so we passed. But on the way home, we agreed, XKR is the car we're looking for. It's luxurious, it's gutsy, it's a convertible, and it's BEAUTIFUL!

That was Friday. Saturday night she found one on Craig's list in a nearby town. Sunday we drove it and agreed to buy it. The seller had to have a couple days to get the title. While we waited the couple days, my wife heard me on the phone with my brothers. She said, "You sound like a couple school girls, talking and laughing. I've never seen you this excited, about anything, ever." We've been married 26 years.

The car is silver, with a black top, and 95,000 miles. A few things to work on and some issues that have cropped up since we took it to the dealer for a 100,000 mile service and inspection to know what we're facing, but it's BEAUTIFUL, from every angle. And it puts a smile on everyone's face. When friends drive it, ride in it, or look at it, they smile.

My wife wouldn't drive it the first week. "It's YOUR car." Then she drove it to the dealer for service. By the time she was done with the three trips and took it out on the highway, she admitted, "It's hard to get back in the Yukon after driving the Jag." Maybe an XK8 in her future...

Not much time for turning wrenches anymore, but I do want to understand this car, and do some of the work. I hate paying for work that I can do, and especially hate paying for it when it isn't done right. Still looking for a good shop in Chattanooga.

Thanks for the warm welcome on the forum and all the suggestions, tips, and generally helpful camaraderie. Looking forward to being able to help others on here. Sorry for the seven-page introduction. Did I mention this car is beautiful?

Old 03-24-2012, 04:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome David,

Good intro - looks like there'll be 2 Jaguars in the family very soon.

Noticed you'd already found the XK8 section!

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Abby's Guy (03-25-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome!

Nice writeup. Mine has about the same number of miles as yours.
I am getting some ABS lights, and an EGR lite that won't go away.

I am replacing the thermostat and water pump this weekend, as it started to run hot after 5 years. Not too bad.. I probably should have changed the thermostat earlier.

Welcome!
Greg

Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there David and welcome to Jaguarforums, good to have you here with us

Ok.....first of all, you need to change the title of your post to ,,"How to write an intro in the new member section"
It was one of the best I'd read in a long while and loved the story aspect...........the only thing missing, is of course a few pics, but you'll sort that soon right?

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun
I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
so jump on in and enjoy

The following users liked this post:
Abby's Guy (03-25-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 6,321 Likes on 5,508 Posts

Welcome to the forum David,

Good to have you with us.
You more than made up for the late intro with the quality, enjoy the forum.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the forum and the XK world, I know just what you mean, I never thought of a Jag until I happened by the local dealership when going to a Porsche event and saw the XKR and fell in love

Old 03-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

David,
I can relate to your story---sounds very much like the process I went through in my search for a performance convertible. The acceleration of these cars just puts a grin on my face. I mean this car doesn't bounce you into the back seat but it does just keep on giving as you go through the gears.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you for all the kind words and warm welcome. I'm feeling very at home here on the forum.

Working on the pictures. Actually just did a quick wash of the outside today. Already looked good, now it looks even better.

Realized this afternoon I hadn't actually used the sport mode. OH, YEAH!!!!
I liked what normally happened when I got to between 3000 and 3500 RPMs. Didn't realize there was such an easy shortcut to getting there. YEEHAW!
I'm sure the people in front of me we wondering if there mirrors were messed up. "That car looks closer, then farther, closer, farther..."

Old 03-26-2012, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Great intro.

Ah, fun with the sport mode

Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Hi David! I've seen you around the XK8/XKR section already, but I haven't had the chance to say "Hi" yet I'm sure you've seen it already, but if not, check out this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/
Lots of great stuff in there.