New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Y2001 X-Type 3.0L Petrol

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y2001 X-Type 3.0L Petrol

Hi to all, I am a new member just joined to this great forum. I am YL from Kuala Lumpur (KL), Malaysia, I have a Year 2001 Xtype 3.0L petrol which was imported new by local dealer in mid 2007 from Germany, it sat in his KL showroom for another 2.5 years until early 2010 when I purchased it, so far I have done 13K miles on it, mostly used weekend etc. I have read that this model has auto transmission and transfer case reliability issue. Unfortunately I am experiencing this problem for some time now, whenever the RPM drop/increases on gear changes, there is a jerking sensation and u can feel a the jerk/tug noise" when the gear changes, it is very uncomfortable feeling, of late, when ever I start the engine in the morning, there is a rattling sound from the engine, I was told that the teppet (no sure if I spell this right) needs some adjustment, I always warm up the engine before I drives it.
It is a good car but I was not aware of the auto transmission/transfer case reliability issues, unfortunately the only Jaguar auth dealer in Malaysia does not provide service/maintanence/repair for any Jaguar model not imported through/by them, I will have to go elsewhere but there isnt too many jaguars on our road so I really need some good advise so that I can pass this on to a good mechanic to get the issues rectified hopefully not too costly.
Thansk in advance for the advise and help
Regards YL

Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome YL,

Sounds like you won't see many other X-Types on the road in KL.

This section is intended for Intros and your tech questions may be overlooked. Engine rattles need to be investigated promptly. If you post about the rattle and the transmission issues on X-Type - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum section, you'll get advice and information from experienced X-Type owners.

Graham

Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to the forum YL,

Good to have you with us.

That's a strange attitude for the dealer to take.
One thing I recall about KL is you can get anything made or repaired if you have the right contacts. Are there any car clubs that could help you find a shop?

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see you.

Check out the X Type section.

But I am amazed that a Jaguar Dealer refuses to look at your car. Offer to recommend their service policy to Jaguar Corporate. Who knows?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 PM

Dear Graham
Thanks for your reply, great to hear from you, I did post in the forum u listed below since 25/April but got no reply and I saw in one of the highlights that if I am a new member, I need to go tho this new member intro to get reviews etc.
I am still hoping to get some advise as what to do with the car problems and will definately need to look for a mechanic that knows thew car basics etc.
Much appreciate

Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM

Hi Richard
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately there is only one offcial Jaguar dealer here and if the Jags are not bought from them, then they do not enetertain any request, even repairs, they can sell the parts but there will be no warranty etc. The car I bought was from a local car importer and they only sells it "as it, where is" and the purchaser will have to bear all future problems and try to find remedy themselves.
It will be great if the official Jag dealer here does accept Jaguars not sold through them and take care of it for the owners, there are some pretty good number of Jaguars here sold by the official dealers as well as many Jaguars imported from UK by other car importers.
Regards YL

Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Probably the first thing I would do in your situation is read through the threads that come up when you search on your issue. Then after some research, start asking away in the X Type forum.

I find it interesting that the local Jaguar dealer won't look at other cars. Could it be that the import regulations there are lax and they just don't want to get tangled up in issues with cars that were built for markets other than yours. If that is the case, I sort of understand. It is next to impossible to privately import a foreign market car to the US then register it for use on public roads. They are called "grey market" cars. Not illegally bought, just not US certified. Globally, any country with relaxed import regulations become "dumping grounds" for many an exporter. Sometimes they are not exactly savory. You say your car was imported from Germany new in 2007 but it is a 2001. Did you mean that it was first imported in 2007 as a used car? That would make sense. If you can I would contact Jaguar directly and see, based on VIN if they can provide you with some sort of service history on the car..

Old 05-07-2012, 04:03 AM
Smile

Dear Josworth
Thanks for your kind reply, Yes, you are right, the car is improrter by "Grey Importers". We dont have other issues as most of the EUR cars are good for Malaysian road, apart that we do not have the cold winter or 4 swasons but most of the EUR cars are fully importer with not much of changes to the specs, etc other then the key fact the car is not through the offciail Jaguar dealership, thats why they do not accept any grey imports under their care as they generally do not provide warranty and in most cases, what I need is just their repaiers and supply of parts etc.
However they are outside workshop who have the ability to maintain car like the X type I have, only thing is that I like to know what causes it so that I am able to provide assistance and guidance to the mechanic to make their life easier and straight to the root cause.

Anyway, I am overwhelmend with replies to my question while I still have not found the reason why I am having the jerks and rough gear changes etc. Will keep researching the X type forum to find some answer.
Cheers YL

Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi, welcome to Jaguarforums, good to have you here with us

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM

Hi Roger
Thanks for your reply and advise given, I am sure that I will be getting loads of information to help me address the issue.
Worst case, will probably get a recon tranmission from UK and sent over here.
Nonetheless, I am pretty sure all will ends well.
Best regards
Cheers YL