New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Young Newbie from Down Under! '71 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Young Newbie from Down Under! '71 XJ6

Hey all! Long-time stalker turned member from Adelaide, Australia.

About me
I'm an 18 y/o guy with a passion for old cars, in particular the Jaguars that we all know and love. I'm a passionate self-employed programmer, my business revolves around creating online enterprise solutions for ordering, rostering, training, and so on. I'm also quite the gamer, in my free time I manage a small PC gaming community. I have a reasonable amount of general mechanical understanding, but very little experience.

How I entered the Jag-owners club
When I was 13 I found this faded blue XJ6 Series 2 up for $1,300. Apparently it had a couple of engine problems, but I was pretty eager to get my hands on a vintage car. However at the time I was working in fast food and only had $700 banked away with no hope of a loan from the old man. Unfortunately, that one slipped through my hands and was sold a week or so later Something about losing that blue XJ6 made me want a Jaguar even more, being the arrogant and persistent kid that I am, I knew that nothing would stop me.

I got lucky however, as this beautiful '71 XJ6 with a 4.2L engine was put up for only $3,000. No joke, this was the hardest car purchase EVER. I was calling the guy literally every day, trying to find a time that suited him to go and take a look at the car. Got a feeling he was pretty sick of me and agreed to let me come and check out the Jag purely to shut me up Ended up haggling $1,000 off the price and got the car towed back home.

My Jaguar
So I have a white Jaguar XJ6 Series 1, 1971. It is automatic transmission with a 4.2L engine. It's definitely a project car, and there is a LOT to do , although I'm keeping track of all my progress with pics and videos and plan to post it all on the forums so people may follow if they're interested! The interior is in reasonable condition, minus the seats which need a reupholster.

Things that have been done
Although the list here is short, I have done a few things to the car.
- Drained oil, replaced oil filter
- Stripped tint off all windows (the back window was a nightmare! )
- Flushed the radiator
- Fully degreased the engine bay
- General clean up and wash

Things that need to be done
- Install stake-down kit
Engine has a rattle/clatter on the exhaust side, the guys on the XJ6 board are to thank for helping with this one
- Panel Rust
Several body panels are nicely rusted through, so I'll be at it with an angle grinder and a MIG welder for a while fixing that. The registration place in South Australia is apparently super strict on rust =\
- Left fuel pump
Right one works fine, left one doesn't. Not sure if its the pump, or the wiring before the pump.
- Leather seats
The backs of the seats are alright, but the bottoms are torn and cracked. Going to be an expensive fix, I know.
- Oil pressure and fuel gauges
Absolutely dead, they'll need a replace.

Pictures!

The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 04:07 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your project. Looking forward to following your progress.
I have a great catalogue of part numbers and suppliers in Australia should you need them, you will also have Grant Francis in your home town with more knowledge of this stuff than most.
See you in the XJ forum.

frostee (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 04:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum frostee,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums and thanks for posting a great Intro.

I can see you've already found your way to the XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the Australia - South Region forum by following this link Australia - South / NT - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

frostee (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 05:02 AM
Received 3,959 Likes on 2,861 Posts

Welcome aboard.....as Clarke says Grant from your home town is a very knowledgable and obliging fellow....good luck with the series 1, my series 2 is also white with red interior which I now really like.
See you over in the xj series section.

frostee (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 05:25 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

Welcome again.

A York Piston a/c compressor, that brings back nightmares.

frostee (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 AM

Thank-you all for the replies, I feel very welcomed

@o1xjr If ever I need parts in Aus I'll definitely bare that in mind
@GGG I'll jump on to getting a signature shortly, thanks for the help and heads up
@Daf11e Your series 2 looks really good from what I can see mate The white and red really works for the XJ's.
@Grant I had posted a reply to the other thread that is 'under moderation review'. Took cam covers off and posted some pics

Old 03-31-2016, 07:05 AM
Received 4,292 Likes on 3,710 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

frostee (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 08:34 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums frostee,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

frostee (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 AM

Thank-you! Signature has been added =]