New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

your recco's for an 8k budget

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your recco's for an 8k budget

Hello again all - still a newb so i'll post here (feel free to move if necessary), but here goes:

I've got about 8k to spend on my first Jag. From what I've been seeing out there, i've got enough for a decent 98-00 xj8 (or vanden plas in some cases) and if i spend 6k on the car, i've got 2k left for maintenance... and if i do go with that, what is a decent mileage to look for ? Under 75k is pretty tough to find, but will under 80-90k still have life left in er ??

...oooor, those '01, '02 x/s-types are coming down into the 7 - 9 k range, and it's a lot easier to find a single owner car...

i really do prefer the classic looks of the '98, '99 XJ series (oh, and the V8 engine of course), but i'd probably be ***almost*** just as happy with some of the newer models...

any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Old 11-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a fan of the X-types. I like the look, and I like the prices. A 2002 here in New Mexico is around $7k to $8k. The S-types are going to be more expensive. Neither are without their problems (look in the X-type and S-type board for that stuff). Generally speaking, you can count on 15k to 20k miles per year of the car's age (depending on where you live).

The trick is that the older models are somewhat more cost efficient when getting them worked on...especially if you can do the work yourself...lol. All of the newer models cost half an arm, and a bit of your leg in the shop.

My 2 cents.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

hello girafFe, welcome to the forum. I cannot say for about the X's and VDP, but if you do your reading, you want to stay away from the early model S Types. 2003 and up are more reliable.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

From a general perception as well, the earlier x-types (2004 and under) spend alot of time in the shop, good advice on the s-types above.

If I had your budget, I'd try for a 98-99 XJ series, perhaps you can sqeak out a VDP, sport, or XJR. You're not going to get a low mileage one for your price, unfortunately, just find one that's been taken care of, transmission fluid change (at least once midlife) and be ready for some suspension repairs and minor glitches... expected in a 12 yr old car.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Do the research that others have mentioned. I personally would "get my feet wet" with the Jaguar world in the S. The early models have some issues, but the flip side is there are a lot more shared with the LS than post 03 S's.. I personally am not a fan of the X. Please X Fans don't flame me too bad.. Just my opinion. I don't like the fact that the X uses a transverse mounted engine and transaxle vs. a conventional rwd set up. Of course both the S and the X share platforms with Ford vehicles while the XJ's were always strictly Jaguar.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my opinion, but I think JOsworth needs to jump off a bridge with his "not a fan of X-types." lol...jk Jeff.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy

If I had your budget, I'd try for a 98-99 XJ series, perhaps you can sqeak out a VDP, sport, or XJR. You're not going to get a low mileage one for your price, unfortunately, just find one that's been taken care of, transmission fluid change (at least once midlife) and be ready for some suspension repairs and minor glitches... expected in a 12 yr old car.
yeah this is kinda what i'm thinking... though i did have a cherry 98 VDP with 50k miles... not even a butt print in the seat... sadly, it got away. though the car was on a salvage (though rebuilt) title... so i guess i feel a little better ? not really.

and thanks all for the advice, letcha know what i come up with...

Old 11-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy girafFe

Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Hey, Welcome Giraffe!!

I really like my 2002 X-Type. It has 60,000 mi., and have had it for a little over a year. It was originally a trade-in at a non-Jag dealership, and had some cosmetic issues, so they were naturally going to send to auction. A friend of ours who owns a rinky-dink dealership found it before auction.

We had a respectable Euro-car mechanic check it out and burn it up down the highway to make sure it was mechanically sound.

In the past year, we have had it painted. I only needed the drivers door painted, as it had clear coat peeling due to previous repair... but I got the "deal of the century" on getting the whole thing custom-painted. Hopefully you would find one where you wouldn't have to go to that extreme.

One of the mufflers was falling off, as well as the splash guard under front bumper. But we weren't turned off due to cosmetics, because of the mechanical strengths under the hood.

Nowadays Kelly Blue Book is showing these down in the $5,000's in re-sale for 02-03, for fair condition. Body is basically the same as newer ones. For a first Jag, this has been totally awesome. Just a few minor cosmetic fixes and some paint, alignment, etc.... can get you into a really nice first Jag, with all the fun of roaring down the highway and taking those turns like a real Jag. Have fun on your search!! I love the bigger Jags myself, but I am so happy I bought this one at such a low price. Gas mileage is pretty good in comparison too. Re-conditioning it has been a bit of fun as well.

Keep us posted!!

Take care!!

Old 11-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Waaaahhhhh JOsworth!!!! I thought we were Buddies!!!!!!!!

JK... I am not a big fan of S either (so nyah... like a wide grill better).... although I would take any Jag on the planet over ANY other car!!

One thing that's cool, both our cars have the leaping cat right out front, which I think they should NOT have left off the new models.