Classic Car Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019 | 10:18 PM
|
Default Classic Car Insurance?

Just my recent experience last week. Trying to get Classic Car Insurance on a 2008 Jag was, shall we say, pushing it...

A mate alerted me to Classic Car Insurance (and he works in the industry). The story was, whereas I'm paying near 1Grand for comprehensive insurance on a $16,000 car, I might be able to get it for...$300 as a Classic Car?

AMI
(They do Classic Car Insurance and I am currently insured there on normal policy)
"Pfft - 10yrs old? That's not a classic car"
...walks out after waiting 30 minutes for that answer.

AA Insurance
"Sure we can - $250! How often do you use it?"
-Once a week.
"Oh, we'll allow once or twice a month".

Jeez, I went there prepared with Jaguar Drivers Club membership, have 3 cars and only one driver, that sort of stuff, but in the end it was too difficult.

However, you might like to try yourself, because I got the impression (with AA Insurance) that the particular agent you are dealing with might make the rules up on-the-fly.
------------------
I even tried with the AMI Clerk,
"Are you Indian?"
"Yes"
"Well, it's Tata Motors surely you can do something?"

I got a hearty laugh, and he loved the photo of my Jag.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 10-29-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2019 | 10:38 AM

Have you tried Heritage? They do pretty good Classic Car Insurance, worth a try for your Jag.

Old 11-18-2019 | 11:09 AM
|

Thanks but I don't think Heritage are in New Zealand.

I did try Swann Insurance as recommended by the Jag Club. I was getting somewhere until he spoke to a supervisor, who said "Pfft...2008 is not a classic car". There has to be something "special" for "modern classic car insurance". (like SVR, limited run, or something)

My car was so upset, I had to take her for a drive.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 11-18-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2020 | 11:21 AM

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->In the matter of car insurances, I believe if you've done all on your part, but at the end of the day you're not satisfied with the result, it must be about the car insurance company. There are a lot of options out there. Money Expert for example gives an in depth, very clear image of what will your insurance look like, what it covers and what the expenses will be, which I think we can all agree it's very important. Plus they have some great options you can choose from when purchasing a car insurance from them. Don't think there is anything better on the market at the moment.

Old 07-10-2020 | 01:54 AM
|
Smile

Originally Posted by anonymous1989
...but at the end of the day you're not satisfied with the result, it must be about the car insurance company. There are a lot of options out there. Money Expert for example
Thanks very much! As far as I can tell, Money Expert operates in the UK (primarily), or possibly SA, Spain and France. New Zealand is separated by a big wet ocean.

I did not say I was dis-satisfied with my current insurer. Premium-wise AMI is about average for modern cars.
My point was I tried to get CLASSIC insurance for a CLASSIC car (at about half the premium), but my 2008 X358 was apparently pushing it to describe as "classic".
LOL, oh well I tried...

I'm sorry but maybe you didn't read the thread...or location....or reason...

(as mentioned somewhere above, one of the reasons I tried to pursue "classic car insurance", was that I only use my Jag once a week if that for "outings", yet have to pay full insurance. That's the way it works of course, silly me for having 3 cars)

Last edited by ChrisMills; 07-10-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2020 | 10:26 PM

To:
wadenelson
Though i would take you upon your offer: My 1993 XJS coupe has a dead short across the battery cable leading to a dead battery. Remove the radio and discovered the dead battery. Radio wiring looks good. Plan to disconnect 1/2 power to isolate short any suggestions appreciate

Old 08-02-2020 | 03:27 AM

As for me I cannot understand the complaint. You have three cars so no big loss if one is damaged in an accident and undriveable. Clearly having three cars means you are not so poor as to suffer unbearable hardship if a car is written off. Why bother with full comprehensive insurance? I have third party property on my classic, so that if I hit someone then I am covered. I have a "spare" car with all good panels if I need to repair mine - and I bought that very cheap (less than insurance costs). If I crash my car due to my own fault and it is unable to be repaired - then I walk away and think about the next car that will replace it!

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020 | 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Mekon
As for me I cannot understand the complaint. You have three cars so no big loss if one is damaged in an accident and undriveable. Clearly having three cars means you are not so poor as to suffer unbearable hardship if a car is written off. Why bother with full comprehensive insurance? I have third party property on my classic, so that if I hit someone then I am covered. I have a "spare" car with all good panels if I need to repair mine - and I bought that very cheap (less than insurance costs). If I crash my car due to my own fault and it is unable to be repaired - then I walk away and think about the next car that will replace it!

I had our second car on third party property, fire and theft insurance for many years. The family car was always comprehensive but my car (our second car) was always at least 25 years old. And I always had a registered motorcycle as my daily driver. The second car was my wet weather back up.

Old 08-03-2020 | 10:56 PM
|

Originally Posted by The Mekon
As for me I cannot understand the complaint.
What complaint? Attempting to find cheaper insurance (in this case because the car is seldom used) is perfectly normal human behaviour, unless you're a Fat Cat.

Most of us here may have Jags which were $100,000 plus new, but they are now 80% or so depreciated, which is why plebs like you and me can bicker about costs on a Jaguar forum!
(How'm I doing? LOL )

Even if you're a Fat Cat, how did they get that way? By watching costs. Errm, and ripping people off I imagine...

P.S. you don't seem to be very proud of your 1973 XJ6 series 1, which could either be a wreck or quite valuable as a classic and worth fully insuring.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 08-03-2020 at 11:07 PM.
zray (12-24-2020)
Old 08-04-2020 | 05:25 AM

No offence intended Chris, but you must have known you were drawing a pretty long bow in asserting your 2008 car was a "classic".
I was merely pointing out the advantages of reducing insurance costs by taking on some of the risk yourself. Over the years I must have saved untold thousands by doing this, and if my XJ6 were to be written off today, would still be way ahead. I am very happy to own my very original series 1, but will not let it become an idol as I let my E type become when I was younger. The good Lord has a way of dealing with this, my E type was heavily damaged in a crash in which my then insurance company managed to avoid the claim. Hence my current view of insurance.

Old 08-04-2020 | 02:47 PM
|

Ah well, nice to see a wee bit of a flurry in this quiet (forum) corner of the universe!

Come to think of it, Australia owns most of our banks and insurance companies. What are you complaining about? :-))

Old 12-24-2020 | 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

They insure my 2000 XK8, 2006 X-Type Estate Wagon and 2005 X-Type Sport. Very pleasant people to deal with and a total premium of less than $ 1,000. They did ask me to confirm that none of the cars are a daily driver (I probably put less than 8,000 miles/year total on all three). Very pleasant people to deal with.

Old 12-24-2020 | 12:17 PM
|

"They" in Pennsylvania? I'll ship my car over!

Old 12-25-2020 | 12:23 PM

I would like to add my two cents as I just had a major loss with Hagerty. I own a 1956 Harley with an agreed value policy. The bike is a custom bobber with a lot of custom molding and painting on it. The accident involved a woman who "didn't see me" and my only being able to throw the bike into a slide so I hit her side to side rather than t-boning her.

The way it worked is Hagerty sent out an adjuster who went over the bike with me, we agreed 100% on what needed to be replaced and the adjuster wrote up the replacement parts at a reasonable rate ( new frame, new tanks, new front end, etc. ) I think he did a great job at identifying broken parts ( even caught a few things I missed ), but the issue came in labor. He gave me a total of 3 days to tear down, rebuild, remold, and repaint the entire bike. I know I had over a week in the molding alone.

So Hagerty told me to get a quote. I went to a local custom builder who has done work for me in the past and he quoted $1,500.00 just for molding the frame AFTER I tore it all down. We ended up in dispute as the adjuster would not budge on his estimate and finally I was given the choice of accepting what they offered or going to court. My attorney suggested we just accept what they were offering.

They had been writing insurance for my toys for over 20 years and up until this I was totally pleased with both the terms of use and the costs of the policies. But of course it always go well until you have a claim. I am not sure if Grundy is any better, but they seem to be the two choices out there for custom cars and bikes. I have USAA for my other vehicles but they will not do custom bikes, I have not checked on something like an XKR.

Hope this helps.
-Harry

Last edited by Coach56; 12-25-2020 at 12:26 PM.
ChrisMills (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020 | 05:30 PM
|

Aahaa…a Harley! What better way to get off-topic.
My step-son has a Ducati. What do you give a motorcycle owner who has everything? An ashtray for a motorcycle of course.

Only, you can’t buy an ashtray for a motorcycle. So I had to make one up.
From this
Vintage round alloy ashtray stand windproof lid portable home decorations Sale - Banggood.com
And this (for the mount only)
Adjustable aluminum phone gps holder mount for m365 scooter bicycle mtb Sale - Banggood.com

And the thing is, he doesn’t smoke. But then he bought me a vaping kit. “I don’t vape”.

OFF-TOPIC MODERATORS – It’s on-topic really. I just wanted to point out that the ashtray on his motorcycle *is not insured*.

My X358 is wanting for nothing, though I was half expecting a bicycle pump…for the air suspension…

Merry Xmas, and may you get better chrissy presents than we do.

Old 12-30-2020 | 02:20 AM

Chris,

I am interested to know if they have in NZ (or any other countries) a scheme like we have here in New South Wales for historic cars.
After almost 20 years in the shed, I put my XJ6 back on the road on full registration. Along with insurance the cost was around $1300 annually. When the year was nearly up I moved the car over to the NSW Historic Vehicle scheme. It allows 60 days per year of use - unlimited distance, by keeping a log book. Cost for registration was around $50 and when I went to get insurance I picked up full insurance for $10,000 value for $64. I could not believe it!
Do any other states or countries have such a scheme?

Old 12-30-2020 | 10:25 AM
|

Yes several companies do it, but the car has to be at least 20 years old, or something special like SVR.

Old 02-17-2021 | 06:19 AM

State Farm covers car, except on timed events. As soon as you pull up to line, coverage stops. When you turn corner, coverage resumes. Same with Solo (autocross), Hillclimbs, time trials etc. Talk thoroughly with my agent, who drag races. Same with boats. Road Rallyes are ok, if not speed events.