Fail Safe Engine Mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fail Safe Engine Mode

Hi folks,
I have an 02 XK-R that has been sitting for the winter months. Yesterday, I had to jump start the car (I know, I should have disconnected the battery) and the Fail Safe Engine Mode has appeared on the dash, with Cruise Control function not working, Faulty Part Fitted. Very confusing as no such part has been exchanged or fitted. Any suggestions and recommendations for a good mechanic in the Wellington area?
Kind regards,
Rory

The following users liked this post:
Mikekeay (01-17-2020)
Old 09-29-2019, 05:22 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums Rory, please post an intro in the new member area when time allows.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

Old 01-01-2020, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rory Bremner
Hi folks,
I have an 02 XK-R that has been sitting for the winter months. Yesterday, I had to jump start the car (I know, I should have disconnected the battery) and the Fail Safe Engine Mode has appeared on the dash, with Cruise Control function not working, Faulty Part Fitted. Very confusing as no such part has been exchanged or fitted. Any suggestions and recommendations for a good mechanic in the Wellington area?
Kind regards,
Rory
Hi Rory

The reduced power, and cruise control out, go hand in hand.

It could be an ERV unit failed, but you will probably need an AutoLogic diagnostic unit on the car to check it out!

Try either John at Wellington European (formerly Toyshop) or Phil at Advance Auto Electrical in Petone (they have guys that are both A Grade mechanics and Auto Electricians).

Cheers

Neil

Old 01-01-2020, 03:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Rory,

If it was OK when you parked it up for the Winter, the chances are high that the spurious faults are due to a partially discharged or failing battery. Worth a recharge/replacement first before looking for more esoteric (a.k.a. expensive) possible causes.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-27-2020, 04:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1998 XJ8L.Parked for the winter,when I tried to start her this spring I got FAIL SAFE ENGINE MODE reading on the dash.She won't start. Checked all fuses and disconnected the battery a number of times.HELP. I'm in Newfoundland Canada.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Ryan
I have a 1998 XJ8L.Parked for the winter,when I tried to start her this spring I got FAIL SAFE ENGINE MODE reading on the dash.She won't start. Checked all fuses and disconnected the battery a number of times.HELP. I'm in Newfoundland Canada.
Chris,

Only New Zealand members are likely to see your question here. If you had posted in the Model forum, members across the World would see it. Region forum is the place for geographically relevant questions and Model forum for technical questions.

See how it goes here and send me a PM if you want it moved.

Graham