Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

2006 LR3 doing a 4.2 S/C swap from XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 doing a 4.2 S/C swap from XJ8

Hi there,

I've got a 2006 LR3 with a thoroughly seized 4.4. I also have a running low mileage 4.2 s/c engine from a 2005 XJ8L. I have the harness and computer from the Jaguar.
Plan is to swap the 4.2 S/C into the LR3.

I'm quite comfortable figuring out the accessory drives and oil pan and pickup stuff, but was wondering about how to make the Jag computer (or Range rover sport computer) play nice with the rest of the CAN bus.

I seem to recall ddillenger and cambo perhaps having a solution via opening the computers up? Here is a link to the old thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ersion-145327/

So question is does anyone know who is the right person to talk to?

Cheers,

Jake

Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Since no one has replied to date.

2 big problems you will face.
- Electrical compatability - ECM, harnesses. You probably will have to use a LR3 SC ECM and associated wiring. Jag ECM probably wont play well with your BCM, transmission and instrument cluster.
- Cooling system. For the 4.2 SC engine you will need to add the SC cooling radiator and all the associated water lines and secondary pump. (+all the associated wire harnesses.)

Recomment you get hold of the wiring schematics and coolant diagrams for the Rover 4.4L car, Rover 4.2 SC version, and the electrical diagrams for your XJ8L engine.
Study the wiring diagrams enough to tell what is different.

Probably doable, but I think you will need a source for the 4.2SC Rover parts you will need to be able to do the conversion.

Probably best to put in another running 4.4L engine, sell the car and then purchase another one with the 4.2SC engine.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback,

Definitely agree a good 4.4 replacement would be much easier, but the issue is they never sold the LR3 with a supercharged engine, so this is more a project of "because I can".

I got something a little wrong, the Jag is a 2009 so I'm pretty sure the same generation at least of engines as my 2006.

Electrical - I'm grabbing the engine harness and as much of the rest of the harness as I can as well as the Jag ECM. I understand it may be possible to reflash the jag ecm to the rover VIN using SDD, but that may work better with a Range Rover Sport ECM. I can get the RRS ECM and maybe harness off ebay if necessary.

Engine Mech - I'm assuming there is going to be some fiddling and mixing and matching to make the front accessory drive stuff all work, as well as oil pan and pick up and possibly starter. This I'm not too concerned with. I'm a not a bad tig welder and have a lathe and a milling machine.

Cooling - completely agree that I have to add the SC radiator and pump. Not too concerned on the plumbing and wiring, but it's going to pretty tight up there for fitting an extra radiator. This might require some creative massaging of mounting points, or ditching the engine driven fan for an electrical setup.

Absolutely agree on the diagrams being necessary.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Here are things I can think of off the top of my noggin you will have to figure out. (I haven't researched at the level of detail you will require.)
- You probably have to use a 2006 4.2 SC Rover ECM - Don't know the compatability between the 4.4L and 4.2L ECM for the following;
- ABS/ Traction control / Dynamic stability control. In the Jaguars they program the ECMs dirrerently depending on the braking system options.
- Do they keep the same CAN signals between the ECM and body control module and instrument cluster? (Shift points on the auto transmission?)
- In 2007, didn't all the RRs with 4.2SC engines get electronic rear differential? This will affect the braking system and why I said you will likely need a 2006 Rover ECM.

You need to look carefully at your 2009 jaguar 4.2SC engine to see what engine sensors and supercharger bypass valve it has on it, and compare these to the equivalent 4.2 RR SC engine, EGR valve and exhaust manifolds. (Rover SC exhaust manifolds might be different, never checked) I know that JLR has tweeked the sensors in the Supercharged engine over the years. (Even the injectors could be different between the Jaguar and Rover version of the SC engine.

Accessories and the mechanical swap shouldn't be to bad, but you may need to drill and tap some bosses on the Jaguar 4.2 block to adapt to the Rover accessory mounting plates.

Last edited by Tijoe; 11-22-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Add another sentence