Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Any riders?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 05:01 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

This bit is sorted. Check out the bent one on the bench.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,168 Likes on 677 Posts

Man is that sucker twisted! Makes me hurt just thinking of the force it took to do that, Wow! I see you were able to get a new race? Or did you remove the original race from yours? Any way it goes it's coming together.

Jack

Old 08-02-2021, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
Man is that sucker twisted! Makes me hurt just thinking of the force it took to do that, Wow! I see you were able to get a new race? Or did you remove the original race from yours? Any way it goes it's coming together.

Jack
Its the original race, not bent so it’s being used for now to assemble. I will replace it when I find a good one.
If you think the bottom yoke is twisted check out the rim.

In lockdown now so no idea when I will get bike back from dealer.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

Lockdown! Oh Lord not again? Didn't realize you all were having a fit with it like everyone else. Is it really as bad as they say, or is there a lot of blowing it out of proportion? Like "I Feel" they are here. Does that mean you're out of work, or??? God this **** SUCKS!!!

As far as the bike, did they get it to run? Oh and don't worry about that wheel, a little duct tape will make that wheel as good as new. LOL! Youch!

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:54 AM

Still working, apparently printing is essential workers. Queensland has the worst outbreak of COVID-19 we have seen, still not bad compared to other states in Australia.
bike is running, picking it up tomorrow on the way home.

As for the rim, that **** will buff out

89 Jacobra (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Cool what did it end up being? And dare I ask what it cost? Oh well no matter. IT RUNS!!!!!!! that race didn't look dented or pitted? When assembled if it doesn't feel rough, I'd go ahead and use it, might save the issue of trying to find that one little piece. Could be a bugger. If your luck is like mine, it would be here in the States, and take several weeks to get. LOL !

o1xjr (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 04:02 AM

Air intake temp sensor broken and no fuel pressure.
They supplied sensor, fitted tank with pump I supplied , straightened tank mounting brackets, pressure flushed injectors, fitted new pack rack and a general once over to make sure all running sweet. plus I bought, oil, filter, chain lube etc.
$900

but it is in my shed running.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3109.MOV (2.26 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-04-2021 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

LOL! that's about the shortest video I ever watched. But it was enough to tell the engine didn't suffer any real damage from the crash, You took all that. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is Aussie to Dollars. But 900 anything is a bunch! Damn glad they didn't have to do anything "Major" ! Yikes.

Did it give you the chills throwing a leg over it for the first time with it running? I've have felt a little tense now and then when passing a spot were I nearly died back in 2014, but it's on a road I have to travel alot so I got over it quite quickly.
Good Luck I hope she comes back 100%.

Jack

Old 08-05-2021, 03:26 AM

The video was long enough to ride it down the ramp off the deck into the shed but it wouldn’t load.
It was a bit strange riding it, but I have been riding again for nearly a year on the ZRX so not as bad as hopping straight on that one.

It was $665 usd. They don’t miss you.

Top yoke is nearly as badly twisted as lower one, only noticed when trying to put forks in. My man in Sydney has one for me. He is also sending me a nice near new Delkevic muffler and right foot peg/ brake lever assembly.

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-05-2021 at 08:43 AM.
89 Jacobra (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 11:52 AM
Received 223 Likes on 174 Posts

I've laid my bike down three times but never crashed hard enough to do damage to anything other than fairings, mirrors, and my own ankles. OK, had to replace a helmet and gloves from one of them, but that's not the bike!

You know the saying: There are two kinds of riders; those that have crashed and those that will crash. I can only hope that my lowside incidents count towards the "have crashed" enough that I don't owe the Universe something more...

BTW, I can still speak clearly and chew my own food because of that helmet... that one was a faceplant!

The following 2 users liked this post by wfooshee:
89 Jacobra (08-05-2021), o1xjr (08-06-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

I've always said it's not if your gonna crash. It's when! Case in point. Last summer I rode my PC800 Pacific coast to just south of Chicago, about a 450 mile trip. I'm in light traffic at about 75mph, and a 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead I see a large dust cloud forming. I realized something was going horribly wrong, but couldn't actually see the vehicles involved. I was several car links from the car in front of me, and all of a sudden he's standing on the brakes. I also nailed the brakes, and for that first second or so he was stopping faster then I was. so I tried to go left onto the shoulder, and damned if he didn't move right across in front of me! So we've used up all the shoulder and if he hits something, I'm gonna hit him. So I went a little more left, and found myself in the median strip between the North and Southbound lanes of the Interstate Highway, slipping and sliding around in the grass at 50 or so mph, and for a couple seconds I was sure I was gonna dump it. Luckily the Good Lord once again saved my butt. As I was able to keep it up, and got back to the pavement, and was able sort through all the banged up vehicles, about seven in all. It didn't appear as anyone was really hurt. Just lots of tore up sheet metal. I rode about 2 miles up, and got off at the next exit, and went in the convenient store got a cold soda pop, and Said several prayers to the Good Lord saying Thank You for once again Lord for saving my butt!

Jack

You can do everything right, and still get hurt or worse.

o1xjr (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by wfooshee
I've laid my bike down three times but never crashed hard enough to do damage to anything other than fairings, mirrors, and my own ankles. OK, had to replace a helmet and gloves from one of them, but that's not the bike!

You know the saying: There are two kinds of riders; those that have crashed and those that will crash. I can only hope that my lowside incidents count towards the "have crashed" enough that I don't owe the Universe something more...

BTW, I can still speak clearly and chew my own food because of that helmet... that one was a faceplant!

I believe low sides count as a crash. You are lucky to get away with just damaging riding gear.
I destroyed the bike and broke a lot of bones, but not a mark on my riding gear except a cracked $80 visor.

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
I've always said it's not if your gonna crash. It's when! Case in point. Last summer I rode my PC800 Pacific coast to just south of Chicago, about a 450 mile trip. I'm in light traffic at about 75mph, and a 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead I see a large dust cloud forming. I realized something was going horribly wrong, but couldn't actually see the vehicles involved. I was several car links from the car in front of me, and all of a sudden he's standing on the brakes. I also nailed the brakes, and for that first second or so he was stopping faster then I was. so I tried to go left onto the shoulder, and damned if he didn't move right across in front of me! So we've used up all the shoulder and if he hits something, I'm gonna hit him. So I went a little more left, and found myself in the median strip between the North and Southbound lanes of the Interstate Highway, slipping and sliding around in the grass at 50 or so mph, and for a couple seconds I was sure I was gonna dump it. Luckily the Good Lord once again saved my butt. As I was able to keep it up, and got back to the pavement, and was able sort through all the banged up vehicles, about seven in all. It didn't appear as anyone was really hurt. Just lots of tore up sheet metal. I rode about 2 miles up, and got off at the next exit, and went in the convenient store got a cold soda pop, and Said several prayers to the Good Lord saying Thank You for once again Lord for saving my butt!

Jack

You can do everything right, and still get hurt or worse.
Jack, for my whole riding life (38 years) my first thought every time I throw a leg over has been “hope today is not the day of the big get off”. That day finally came, hope it was the last big get off.

Talk about close calls, I had one yesterday. I was doing 60km/h and the dumb bitch in front of me decided at the last minute she needed KFC. Without indercating she went from 60 to near zero in a car length and I reacted and locked both wheels in a split second then realising I wasn’t going to stop in time let go of the brakes and pushed the left bar forward throwing me into the right lane (our fast lane) right in front of a bus doing 60.
Twisted right hand to full throttle in 2nd and nearly high sided. Next second a cop pulled me over, I was thinking surely not? But he actually just wanted to say it was the best bit of riding skill he had ever seen.
I said to him I was just trying to save the front end of a second bike.

Big day in the shed today. It took 4 hours to plastic weld and glue the dash and gauges back together before fitting the triple clamp, forks, and calipers/ braided lines etc.

In the shed from 4am until 4.45 pm except 1/2 hour or so to chop firewood for tonight

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-06-2021 at 04:36 AM.
89 Jacobra (08-06-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 04:44 PM
The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
Mike1610 (09-20-2021), wfooshee (08-08-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

Damn near looks like it never happened! Wow Nice Job! Now will you keep it or ????? Not quite sure how I'd feel about it? Just not sure. I've never been afraid of a bike in my life, and I still ain't. I've ridden several widow makers. But I never owned one, and I wasn't 63 years old then either. That was a little to close for comfort, as we say here. Just my thoughts Clarke, Just my thoughts.

Jack

Last edited by 89 Jacobra; 08-07-2021 at 09:31 PM.
o1xjr (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 03:40 AM

Jack, I have owned a stack of widow makers over the years and never been scared by a bike. Big 2 strokes, really big 4 strokes and bikes with all the RRRR’s in the name you can have.
Hell, I was doing track days on the GPZ 5 months after the crash while still on crutches and needing help to get off the bike and getting the wife to help me load the race bike on the trailer to her disbelief.

Riding it won’t scare me but just never made friends with the bike from day one.

Going to get it road registered in the next couple of days. Really not sure how I feel about it.
Rode it a few km yesterday up the back roads near here, felt really uncomfortable. But I never did get comfortable on it in the 10 months I had it before the crash.

I bought it to commute the 160km a day when we moved “out in the sticks” because the ZRX was at over 100’000 km. It’s now at 193’000 hence the decision to get the XJR back on the road.

I bought it thinking it would be like the 01xjr(o1xjr username) I had for many years and racked up over 100’000 km on. The old XJR was every bit as capable as the ZRX as an all rounder.

Probably tolerate it for commuting and use the ZRX for real riding once I refresh the engine.

It XJR has all the grunt and road presence you would ever want but it lacks in feel and feedback.

When I get going on a project there is no stopping until it is done….just muffler and right foot peg assembly to replace when they arrive.

Now to get the yard sorted and weed the gardens, funny how the enthusiasm runs out when the job is not in the shed.

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-08-2021 at 06:30 AM.
89 Jacobra (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Yep I hear you on all points. Yard work Sucks! As far as the bike if you never felt comfortable from the go. I think I'd look for something to trade it in on. I have had a lot of different types of bikes, and most were good all around bikes, but there were a few that just weren't right from the first time I rode them, and I either didn't buy them, or didn't keep them long. I'm 5' - 6" and have been 150 in my younger years, and now hover around 200lbs so I'm not a big guy.

I can ride the heck out of a Goldwing but don't feel comfortable doing it.

Now with my PC 800, unless your serious, don't try to chase me up the mountain, you just might regret it. But I fit the PC, It's the second bike that reacted faster then I could think. It's like it's an extension of my mind, and my arms and legs. It's just natural, as was my 77" 550K Honda.

Now my 81 XT500 was the scare the **** out of myself bike. (Loved It!) it was small light, and nimble. And It would wheelie almost anytime you snapped the throttle in the first 3 gears, It was a blast.

My 450 Rebel, was a bike I wasn't completely comfortable on. The footpegs were set forward, and I like my feet under me so I can shift my weight, and control the bike better. I like feeling one with the bike, and if I don't it's time to find another bike. LOL! Kind of what you're talking about feel, and feedback.

If you ain't comfortable find another one. Just my thoughts.

Getting the wife to help you load the race bike. You're either gutsy, or Lucky. (you're most likely Lucky, Me and mine just celebrated 39 years July 29) And I still Thank The Lord for her. She's the only women in the world I'll let pull me down the road on a motorcycle with a rope! That's trust Man!

Jack

o1xjr (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 02:08 AM

The only thing I would consider replacing it with is 2008 GSX1400.
It was my first choice of the big naked bikes as Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki all stopped making their big naked bikes around 2008, so anything on the market had highest milage.

Yamaha kept making the XJR until 2016 so I bought the lowest milage one I could get.

Out for a ride today

89 Jacobra (08-10-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 05:53 AM

Much better looking can, quite loud bordering on obnoxious.
Not sure if it’s right for 1 hour each way to work at 3700rpm. Right in its most annoying part of the rev range.
​​​​​​…….. Jack, you might be right. Sell up and buy a TLR1000 to commute. Maybe time to try a v twin.

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-19-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

What brands are available in Aussie? I know you're rooted in Kawi's, Zuki's, and Yami's. Ducati makes some great sport bikes. They're kinda like a V Twin LOL. The thing about V twins is Torque! Inline 4's are great for smooth, ridiculous, acceleration. V Twins try to pull you're arms out of socket. Great feelings in both respects. How about a Honda V Twin Translap, Adventure bike? Plenty big enough for the commute, yet not allergic to a dirt road or two??? If you get the urge? I'm in fairly rural Arkansas, and while it's not the "Outback" there still quite a few places where people don't go very often, left to explore. Thus the reason for the NX 650! Good Luck Man.

Jack

Can you build a insert / baffle, for the Can? Or can you just repack it???

Old 08-26-2021, 04:58 AM

I contacted the manufacturer and got a baffle, much better.
Been tweaking front and rear suspension, put on 25 mm lower bar risers, flatter bars and been playing around with the position of levers etc. Fitted the bikini fairing to help keep the weight off my wrists.
The bike is a lot more complient and much more comfortable to ride, loving the power and the ride the last few days.

The first 8000km I did on this bike before the accident the bike was set up for a much taller rider. It had been a dealership demo bike with 2000km on it when I got it. (Maybe one of the salesman set it up to suit himself for weekends).
I checked out one at a shop today and I have it almost as it would have been delivered from factory. Much more like my original XJR.

I think we are forming a long term relationship.

I rode the ZRX today after nearly 2 weeks, it was like wearing a comfortable old shoe.

Plenty of Ducati’s here but a bit like Harleys, for a very high percentage of owners it is about the image of riding duc or an Amarican tractor. Puts most of us off owning one.
Posers in matching leathers for the Ducati or Harley riders in the white T shirt and factory leather vest and ****** leather tassels on the end of the bars.

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-26-2021 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Any riders?