Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

CLS 63 AMG...new kid on the block

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree the front lights of the xj look better than those of the xf although IMO the rear end of the xf looks better than that of the xj however it is growing on me. Also as expatjag said the rear visibility took me by surprise, from the outside it looks like you should have good visibility but it's not the case the rear shelf seems to be a bit too high and I'm 6'3, a cop could sneak up behind you in a 747 and you wouldn't see him, at least the side mirrors are big and help out. I think Ian Callum did a great job with the design and finally brought jaguar into the 21st century not just with the XJ but the XK and XF as well.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree it was a great job done. After hearing numerous people speak including Mr. Callum I still think the blacked out pillars look too Dodge Interpid for me. Maybe he was going for the whole Ranger Rover thing. I actually don't like it on those either but at least all the pillars are blacked out. I think they should have actually went with the whole wrap around glass thing they were trying to simulate with the blacked out pillars. If you are in another car behind the XJ it looks badass. But once you park and see it you're like WTF is up with the pillars. Lol

Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

As I see it, your guys are pretty much right on. I feel the same way about that car. And the blacked out Pillar....well Ian Callum can say what he wants; it simply doesn't work for most people as his designer brain inteded. Hopefully he can one day admit, that that was a snafu. Nice try, they got the guts to do it. But reading everything about the car there is....it simply failed. They should give it up and change to (or at least offer as factory option) a color matched Pillar cover.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, the rear window is a gun slit and fairly useless--the price you pay for the sleek roof line. Thank goodness for the blind spot monitors in the side view mirrors--I really like those.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have a photoshop of c pillars in body color? I got ultimate black, so i dont notice it at all. Rear window is useless...**** on a nun, as they say in Jersey. What's odd is that there really is room to lower the rear shelf a bit for more visibility. This is one of the reasons why I think it really compares well to the CLS and Quattroporte. I imagine the a7 sportback will be the same.

There is at least one big change coming to the XJ in the next two months. If you're planning on buying one...you should wait. Can't tell you more than that, but I'm pissed I didn't wait a little longer. Ought...the suspense. I've been sworn to secrecy.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by kid delicious
Anyone have a photoshop of c pillars in body color? I got ultimate black, so i dont notice it at all. Rear window is useless...**** on a nun, as they say in Jersey. What's odd is that there really is room to lower the rear shelf a bit for more visibility. This is one of the reasons why I think it really compares well to the CLS and Quattroporte. I imagine the a7 sportback will be the same.

There is at least one big change coming to the XJ in the next two months. If you're planning on buying one...you should wait. Can't tell you more than that, but I'm pissed I didn't wait a little longer. Ought...the suspense. I've been sworn to secrecy.
Oh great, now I won't be able to stop thinking about what it could be. C'mon kid delicious out with the info!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Oh Great kid delicious; now I can't stop thinking about the "big change" either. Thanks lol. I hope it includes a software upgrade for our cars so we can get a normal touch screen system.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There is at least one big change coming to the XJ in the next two months.
The leaper on the hood will be back. That's BIG!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:34 PM

I actually had my pillars painted. As soon as I found out how to insert a picture I will post. By the way that is what my profile pic is showing. I went and received my Jag and drove it from the dealership straight to the paintshop. I found out.lol

Attached Thumbnails CLS 63 AMG...new kid on the block-jag-xjl-pillars-painted.jpg   CLS 63 AMG...new kid on the block-photo.jpg   CLS 63 AMG...new kid on the block-photo-2-.jpg  

Last edited by ExpatJag; 01-21-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
The hood leaper has always been an option on the new XJ, but I haven't seen one yet with it.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
The hood leaper has always been an option on the new XJ, but I haven't seen one yet with it.

I am pretty sure Maybe was joking.Lol

Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I actually had my pillars painted. As soon as I found out how to insert a picture I will post. By the way that is what my profile pic is showing. I went and received my Jag and drove it from the dealership straight to the paintshop. I found out.lol

Looks way better with the c pillar painted IMO, my car is ultimate black so it's not as big of an issue but if I had a different color I would definitely have them painted.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a software update. It's something many of us have discussed as something that should have been available on our cars from the onset.

Expat, thanks for the pics. It's difficult to really see on a dark car. Maybe if I saw it on a Spectrum Blue vs. a non painted c-pillar in Spectrum blue. I don't find it that offensive...not sure what all the fuss is about. I'm far more distressed about the lack of quad exhaust, rear diffuser, side skirts, air intakes, and more aggressive front fascia on the SS or SC than I am about the c-pillar not matching the paint. I guess I'm alone in that.

Last edited by kid delicious; 01-21-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 AM

Not a software update. It's something many of us have discussed as something that should have been available on our cars from the onset.

Expat, thanks for the pics. It's difficult to really see on a dark car. Maybe if I saw it on a Spectrum Blue vs. a non painted c-pillar in Spectrum blue. I don't find it that offensive...not sure what all the fuss is about. I'm far more distressed about the lack of quad exhaust, rear diffuser, side skirts, air intakes, and more aggressive front fascia on the SS or SC than I am about the c-pillar not matching the paint. I guess I'm alone in that.

If you tell me that they got the dualview screen approved I am going to pitch a fit. If its true I will be happy because I will get mine. I don't care the cost they will put it in my car or I will drive it through the dealership window and leave it there or better yet I will throw that brick of a FOB through the window. Lol

Now I gotta start making phone calls. Thanks Kid.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Soft close doors?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
I got a leaper on the hood! You can have the dealer put it on.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by gears
I got a leaper on the hood! You can have the dealer put it on.
Pic please.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Pic please.
Will do tonight

Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Default Leaper Hood Ornament Pics

Here we go. Dealers list at parts department for close to $ 400.--. Parts sold me at discount for around $ 200.-- (I have a nice dealer). Is the same part # as for XF. Comes with install instructions. Most dealers send you to a body expert for installation, quoted to me at $ 150.00. I did myself. BUT don't try it if you don't really know what you are doing. You have to drill the hood 2x.

I like it because in my opinion it suits a stately sedan, even a quick sport sedan well, especially if it is as distinguished as a Jag. But the opinions are very split on this one and many prefer the more sporty look without the hood ornament. I pondered it a while and even stuck an old leaper up there with tape to see what it looks like before drilling holes. I personally love it.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

That's cool , neither too bulky nor too small for a leaper

Quick Reply: CLS 63 AMG...new kid on the block