Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

CLS 63 AMG...new kid on the block

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the pic. That does look good.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kid delicious
Not a software update. It's something many of us have discussed as something that should have been available on our cars from the onset.

Expat, thanks for the pics. It's difficult to really see on a dark car. Maybe if I saw it on a Spectrum Blue vs. a non painted c-pillar in Spectrum blue. I don't find it that offensive...not sure what all the fuss is about. I'm far more distressed about the lack of quad exhaust, rear diffuser, side skirts, air intakes, and more aggressive front fascia on the SS or SC than I am about the c-pillar not matching the paint. I guess I'm alone in that.
Ok I just saw a review for the 2012 Merc CL 550 and CL 63 AMG and I am pretty sure its the dualview because it had the splitview which is the same thing only the name Mercedes uses.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I am not a fan of the leaper. I think it looks out of place on this generation of cars. Even the new Bentleys have gotten away from their leaper. As cars become more aerodynamic and sportier leaper just don't make sense. On a nice stately designed car yes. But at least its an option is you want it. I took the XJL off the back of mine because I thought it took away from the beauty of the jaguar on the back of the trunk.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I am not a fan of the leaper. I think it looks out of place on this generation of cars. Even the new Bentleys have gotten away from their leaper. As cars become more aerodynamic and sportier leaper just don't make sense. On a nice stately designed car yes. But at least its an option is you want it. I took the XJL off the back of mine because I thought it took away from the beauty of the jaguar on the back of the trunk.
ExpatJag you are not alone with your opinion. Mercedes, Bentley, Jaguar, Hood ornaments are dissapearing all around in favor of a more sportier streamlined look.
I was pondering the question and that is why I even put a mock up on first. I wasn't even shure myself at first wondering if it looked out of place. In the end I decided for the leaper. Part of it, just to have a bit more customized difference. Like the opposite as you did with your trunk leaper.
I propably won't take mine off. But at first I was taken aback by such an asymetrical ornament and still don't know what to think off. Overall the leaper is a beautyful logo /ornament so compared to many others.
That is also the reason why I do like my leaper on the hood.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love your posts Gears, but hate your leaper. Understated elegance...that's what the new XJ is to me. The leaper screams something...not sure exactly what, but it's screaming.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

After staring at those pics for a while I have to agree... not a big fan of the leaper on these new XJs. They look good on the old body style though.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Yeah yeah, I know you guys got a point there. It just can't find the right spot on the hood as the hood now stops before that front fascia. I know, I know.
I don't see much udnerstatement on the XJ's design though. Just the interiour alonw screams "attention" and that is why I chose the car over the usual Mercedes S, BMW 7 and Lexus staple.
I think if one wants understatement, the Lexus 460, or Audi 8 comes to mind. Don't you think.
Nonetheless, I agree that the leaper on the hood is a tricky and polarizing one. Looks like that Jaguar did their homework with the focus group correctly and left it off. Can always add it. Can't remove it.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by gears
I think if one wants understatement, the Lexus 460, or Audi 8 comes to mind. Don't you think.
I agree completely, and I own one LOL (460) - those are great cars, though. Heck they all are in this category, it's just that some of them give more annoyances than others. As for the leaper, what if it's installed on the fascia, or as close as possible to it on the edge of the hood? I don't know... it's just a more fluid body design, maybe that's why the leaper kinda stands out too much.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM

I always tell people, if you want the perfect car, get a Lexus. My wife drives a GX470 and I tell you, its near perfect.
But I need a bit more adrenalin rush. I tried different placements with the leaper on the hood. (An hold one attached with double sided tape). Point is, there is no perfect spot for it. The factory determined spot is the best there is. The new design just doesn't lend itself to a good leaper spot. Mmhhhh....well....I am stuck with it now. I do like it. Probably because I got used to it.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by gears
I always tell people, if you want the perfect car, get a Lexus. My wife drives a GX470 and I tell you, its near perfect.
But I need a bit more adrenalin rush. I tried different placements with the leaper on the hood. (An hold one attached with double sided tape). Point is, there is no perfect spot for it. The factory determined spot is the best there is. The new design just doesn't lend itself to a good leaper spot. Mmhhhh....well....I am stuck with it now. I do like it. Probably because I got used to it.
I think I know why the leaper looks kinda weird. It's because it's too big. If the leaper was a little smaller it would look better I think. But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
I think I know why the leaper looks kinda weird. It's because it's too big. If the leaper was a little smaller it would look better I think. But that's just my opinion.
Well, I guess we should get expert, Mr. Ian Callum, to have a look at it. I just get the feeling that he would say "leave it off".

Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I think it might be the blunt nose on the new XJ that makes the leaper look a little out of place as opposed to the old model where it looked more like it blended in.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cadillac
The new CLS is awesome but tail lights look wrong and it's like under impression of VW Passat Coupe or whatever it is
Its called CC , and you are 100 percent right, It feels like a CC with those tail lights.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have a photoshop of c pillars in body color? I got ultimate black, so i dont notice it at all. Rear window is useless...**** on a nun, as they say in Jersey. What's odd is that there really is room to lower the rear shelf a bit for more visibility. This is one of the reasons why I think it really compares well to the CLS and Quattroporte. I imagine the a7 sportback will be the same.

There is at least one big change coming to the XJ in the next two months. If you're planning on buying one...you should wait. Can't tell you more than that, but I'm pissed I didn't wait a little longer. Ought...the suspense. I've been sworn to secrecy.
I think the big change is an 8 speed transmission since I see Range Rover is coming out with one. Am I warm or cold kid delicious?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 PM

Freezing.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

I am an AMG guy. I LOVE Mercedes Benz. But, I don't like this new design. I like the older CLS better. The lines of that car are absolutely gorgeous.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM
xjb
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kid,
Looking forward to hearing what this is. Do you know when it will be revealed?

Thanks!

Freezing.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 PM

It was supposed to be here about two months from when I first mentioned it in this thread. Not sure when I did that, but we must be close. It rhymes with depining deer feets. Oh, and it looks like we now have the engine for the XJ type-R with the unveiling of the new 550hp XK engine. I've put in my two pennies that it should be coined the XJ Supersport "Black Edition". I'm guessing we will see it announced in the next 6 months, but thats all speculation only part. I haven't been told anything suggesting it at all. It's pretty clear though with all of the sport variations on the XK that they realize the need for this market segment. And with Alpina B7, S63 and S65, S8, and others, they need to fill that void with a more aggressive XJ sedan choice.

The following users liked this post:
xjb (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 11:01 AM
xjb
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kid,
I can't imagine what it could be! One more question, though: do you know if both the long and regular wheelbase XJs will get these deer feets you speak of?

Thanks for your help. Folks like you make this site a great resource.

It was supposed to be here about two months from when I first mentioned it in this thread. Not sure when I did that, but we must be close. It rhymes with depining deer feets. Oh, and it looks like we now have the engine for the XJ type-R with the unveiling of the new 550hp XK engine. I've put in my two pennies that it should be coined the XJ Supersport "Black Edition". I'm guessing we will see it announced in the next 6 months, but thats all speculation only part. I haven't been told anything suggesting it at all. It's pretty clear though with all of the sport variations on the XK that they realize the need for this market segment. And with Alpina B7, S63 and S65, S8, and others, they need to fill that void with a more aggressive XJ sedan choice.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Not sure on that. I didn't inquire, but my guess is the SWB won't accommodate it. They really seem to want to differentiate the SWB and LWB. As an example, there was talk at jag of only making the Supersport available in SWB, which is crazy to me. Guess its another thing that makes the Americans different from Europeans...we want to drive our massive cars, and they get driven in them.

Quick Reply: CLS 63 AMG...new kid on the block