Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

CLS 63 AMG...new kid on the block

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Well said Gears. I concur on most of what you said but I don't see where the CLS is sportier comparing stats. And while I disagree on the exterior design comment as while that is completely subjective. My friend traded in his Lexus GS 430 for a CLS 500 because he said though the Lexus was near perfection it just didn't have any character for him. I like the car as well design wise and spent quite of bit of time in it as his road partner and for me it was small. I am 6'3 and frankly just as boring as he said his Lexus was. I actually like the Lexus more but that was really because of all the bells and whistles and I am a nerd at heart. Now don't think I don't have issues with the XJL which I love. The touchscreen blows as far as responsiveness goes. The Navi seems like somebodies leftovers. My 3 year old Garmin Nuvi is better than this GPS. As I said before I completely hated the blackout pillars so I got them repainted to match the color of the car. And I just found out that if I want my parking aid to come in when I am slowly moving forward without pushing the parking aid button I have to go to the dealer to have them enable it. This is just plain stupid. It should be set for that by default. I hit a curb because I was expecting it to come on and it didn't. At the end of the day Gears is right. Every article, every video I have watched on youtube has never compared the XJ to the CLS. It has always been the 7 series, Audi A8, and the S-class.
Actually, it has been compared to the CLS and A7, and came in last. Read for yourself:

2012 Audi A7 vs 2011 Jaguar XJ vs 2012 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 - Comparison - Motor Trend

Not sure why they are comparing them, except maybe they are similar in price (these are all base models), or they have 4 door coupe looks.

For me, XJ ended up being a bit too big (not interior wise, but maneuvering, parking, turning, etc.), too noisy (roof pops and other creaks), too faulty (with electronics, software, etc.), and mostly a bit too "old man". Having been one of the very first buyers, there was no history wiith this model, and they were clearly trying to target younger buyers (as current XJ owners were dying out). Well, after a year now, and judging especially by the comments/posters on this forum, it reamains an old man's car. I bet most of you on here cannot truthfully say you are under 45, right? A few might come back and lie (like the poster who claimed he drove a CLS back in March before he bought his XJ..oh, right, in "germany"), but let's face it - trying to make an old man's car look younger, fooled a few a first, but not in the long run. Doesn't make the XJ bad "overall", but let's not kid ourselves. The XF is the under 45 car...and now they they FIXED the front end lights on the new model, it clearly beats the XJ in exterios design.....if only the interior did not look like cheap crap. After you drive and XJ for a bit, then get into the XF, the XF interior seems very "rental car". Maybe I can come back in my 50's for the XJ, and by then they will have all the kinks worked out, or maybe then they will all be made in India, in which case 'no thanks'.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
Actually, it has been compared to the CLS and A7, and came in last. Read for yourself:

2012 Audi A7 vs 2011 Jaguar XJ vs 2012 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 - Comparison - Motor Trend

Not sure why they are comparing them, except maybe they are similar in price (these are all base models), or they have 4 door coupe looks.

For me, XJ ended up being a bit too big (not interior wise, but maneuvering, parking, turning, etc.), too noisy (roof pops and other creaks), too faulty (with electronics, software, etc.), and mostly a bit too "old man". Having been one of the very first buyers, there was no history wiith this model, and they were clearly trying to target younger buyers (as current XJ owners were dying out). Well, after a year now, and judging especially by the comments/posters on this forum, it reamains an old man's car. I bet most of you on here cannot truthfully say you are under 45, right? A few might come back and lie (like the poster who claimed he drove a CLS back in March before he bought his XJ..oh, right, in "germany"), but let's face it - trying to make an old man's car look younger, fooled a few a first, but not in the long run. Doesn't make the XJ bad "overall", but let's not kid ourselves. The XF is the under 45 car...and now they they FIXED the front end lights on the new model, it clearly beats the XJ in exterios design.....if only the interior did not look like cheap crap. After you drive and XJ for a bit, then get into the XF, the XF interior seems very "rental car". Maybe I can come back in my 50's for the XJ, and by then they will have all the kinks worked out, or maybe then they will all be made in India, in which case 'no thanks'.
im 42 years old and was 41 when i got our 2011 xj. am very happy with it and all creaks and pops fixed. still get looks...stares...thumbs up...pictures taken...videos taken every time we take it out for a drive!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like the age poll they have on the XK forum. I am 47 and was 46 when I got the XJ. But also I was 34 when I got my brand new '98 XJ8 Vanden Plas. So the "age thing" is only for the people who are concerned to be "in the trend mode". I'd rather be in the "individualist" mode going against mainstream.
As I am also an owner of a CLS63 having both the CLS and the XJ in my garage I can clearly tell you after one year; I completley prefer the XJ. When ever I get into my garage I gravitate to it. I suspect the main reasons are a) comfort and interiour and b) I just live the way it drives much better.
And that brings me to a very important point. It makes NO SENSE to compare those 2 cars in one class. The XJ was conceived as a full size sedan while the CLS was meant to be a sporty coupe. Although fun to compare it makes as much sense to compare lets say a BMW 6 series (2+2 coupe) with a 7 series, S-class or XJ and then complain about the tight back seat in the 6 series. You got my point.
Why motor trend compaer the XJ to the A7 and CLS beats me. It should be compared to the A8 and S-Class. The journalist should know better then simply assuming because the back has a slopes line doesn't mean the car is a coupe.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

.......and please.....don't start with the roof pop noise again. It is history. Older XJ which did had it (not all did as I have a friend whose early VIN never exhibited any roof pop noise) had been fixed (hopefully if the dealer knew what they are doing) and the newer cars don't have it. We all know that first year production cars may show a learning curve issue of the production process.
So, the roof pop issue is OLD and DONE with. I had it. It was fixed for good and that was the end of it. Just like you have a defect head light, had dealer fix it and that was that.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:08 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

CLS63: Ugliest car currently made, I'm thinking. The car is a styling nightmare. Almost everything about it is wrong. The Asian (I think he's Chinese) guy who styled it has no flair for design whatsoever. It's just some expensive wheels and LED's plastered all over a hideously poor looking car. Scalloped up body, Asian-prostitute's eyes for taillights, ruined window-line, overwrought nose.

Awful.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mercedes is my favorite brand I love almost every car they have ever made, but on top of my list there is mecedes C250 I LOOOOOOVE it

Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the AMG CLS63. I am a huge Mercedes Fan and I am glad the jags are different. I hate when other car companies steal from each other. Over time it makes the cars look too similar

Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kolbywhite28
mercedes is my favorite brand I love almost every car they have ever made, but on top of my list there is mecedes C250 I LOOOOOOVE it
C250? Really? The has to be one of the dumpy-est mercedes ever made.