Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Jagulet ...??? Chevuar ...???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

I have no suggestions, but I'm watching this thread carefully! I have a 87' that is running like crap so I'll be interested to see what resolves your issues!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Well shucks, looks like I'm back to square one ... no start.

Had rain off and on yesterday, so didn't get too much time on the Jaguar. I did get the new spark plugs installed, in the process finding some "Bubba" repairs by a previous owner. The Bosch plugs I pulled out of the car were of the taper seat type, my new plugs were standard flat seat w/ sealing washers.
After consulting websites for both companies, I determined that my new plugs were indeed correct. The Bosch plugs had a bazillion applications, but nary a Jaguar on the list. I can picture it now:
"Gimmie some spark plugs, 'bout this long and 'bout that big around."
"Heat range ...? What be's that ....???"

Becoming less and less enamored with the Haynes repair manual. It says the spark plug torque values were in the "specifications" section for that chapter. They are not.

Attempted to change the fuel filter, but the one I bought was incorrect. The application chart I referenced only went back as far as '91. I thought one for a '91 XJS might be the same.
As they say down here, I thought like Parker's dog!

While disconnecting the fuel filter fitting, there was no gas in the line. It doesn't surprise me that the system didn't hold pressure overnight, but I expected to at least see a dribble of fuel at that point.
Hooked everything back up, engaged the ignition a few times so the pump could do it's thing, and tried to start the engine.
Nada .... no signs of life.

Another rainstorm blew up at that point, so I abandoned ship for the day.

Here's a thought.
Maybe the car will only run on Friday the 13th?
I can't wait for the next one ....!!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM

Today's episode of "As the Stomach Churns" is brought to you by:
Boudreaux's Butt Paste
Name:  buttpaste.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  11.5 KB

Installed correct new fuel filter today. Getting clean fuel at all points.
Disconnected fuel line at fuel rail to check for flow. It took quite a few on & off sequences of the ignition switch to get the filter and lines refilled and fuel to that point ... probably why it wouldn't start yesterday.

Engine cranked right up and assumed a relatively decent idle, much better than before.
After letting it idle for a while, I gradually brought the revs up. Ran pretty good for maybe 20 - 30 seconds, then started to choke down. At that point, you can play with the throttle and keep the engine running for a few more seconds, but it eventually bogs down and dies.

I still haven't performed the electrical connection and vacuum check I mentioned in my last post. That's on tap for tomorrow (maybe!)

I'm also thinkin' about seeking some semi-professional help. A while back I talked to a guy at a local foreign car repair shop. Seemed friendly and knowledgeable. I'll see if I can pick his brain a little.

Like a bad penny, I'll be back.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I'm just diggin the metaphors. Sorry I can't be of help, I feel like such an entertainment leach.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member

It idles okay but dies when you rev it up? Hmmm...Two things come to mind here. One, there is rust/water moving through the gas lines from the tank and when it demands more fuel, it sucks it in. Two, your ignition is funky, perhaps a dying coil/resistor or ignition amp.
Just a couple thoughts...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, Retro...are you okay? The thread sort of petered out in mid-month, and here we are anxiously awaiting the next installment. I'll bet there are more people reading your thread and waiting for developments than you would imagine.....some of us are just silent observers with no tech advice to offer, but our best wishes and gratitude for the entertainment.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 AM

My apologies to jamey, treetop and anyone else who may have been looking for an update. I generally use my blather on this thread as a personal catharsis, I didn't realize anyone was actually reading it!

I took a little break from working on the Jaguar for several reasons:

1) I'm having a hard time wrapping my li'l pea brain around all the modern (relatively speaking) systems in an automobile. I have a fairly extensive mechanical background, but in a different field (motorcycles), and from a far earlier time.

2) I'm trying to get my shop set up. I had a 24' x 30' metal building erected back in December. Since then I've been collecting all my tools and equipment that have been stored or on loan to various friends for years.

I also had to use the shop to temporarily store some non-shop "stuff" out of the weather. There is an existing large shed on the property to eventually house all that, but it needs cleaning out and some repair before it can be used.

As a result, the shop is chaos at the moment. Everything is stuffed in the building in a disorganized mess. I still have to run electrical service to the shop, install lighting and electrical outlets, yada yada yada.

When I first had the brilliant (?) idea of possibly using the entire Jaguar powertrain in my project, I figured I'd do a quick and dirty "get 'er running and see what you got". Consequently, I've been working out in the open, digging through disorganized tools looking for the right one, etc.
A real PITA ...!!

So far, I've had it running enough to determine that the engine is mechanically sound. The rest of the driveline still hasn't been tested. The car is showing fairly low mileage for the year, less than 80K miles. Research on this forum indicate that the transmissions and rear drive units on the XJ40 are fairly sturdy and trouble free.

This car has been abused in that it was obviously owned by someone that really needed a Ford or Chevrolet .. (or maybe a Yugo?). It's very ragged appearance-wise, and I've documented some of the redneck repairs that were performed on it. There are others I haven't mentioned.
The really important things don't look too bad. The engine oil and transmission fluid are full and clean. No major butchery has been done to any mechanical or electrical systems.

So that's my status at the moment. I'm hesitant to throw any more money into parts to get this engine running right, for fear that said parts might be replaced or even eliminated during the installation in the project vehicle.

Decisions, decisions ...!!!

Jamey ... thanks for your input. I'm about 90% certain that my problems are fuel related, but I'm well aware of how an electrical fault can mimic other problems. Been there, done that ... a bunch of times! Good call!

Thanks all. It may be a while, but I'll be back.

Last edited by retromotors; 08-29-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Ok, not full of drama, intrigue or plot twists...but still, appreciate the blog update. Yes...technically its a blog now.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Well Hello Retro:

Oddly I have just discovered this thread today. Read the whole thing even though the title suggests a Jag with a Chev engine, or a "lump" in the vernacular. Lumps are severely grating to me suggesting a complete foolish resistance to actually LEARNING something about that wonderful Jaguar engine whichever the one in question.

But (never start a sentence with but) I am loving this, I cheer you on Retro, and I am now following this with great amusment and interest.
Somehow putting a Jag engine into an old cool Chevy represents some sort of justice. Besides the wit of this whole blog/journal is cathartic for me! What a pleasure to read.

I wish I was in Dixie...because I would want to travel over to you and see first hand this great sounding project.

So for the record Go fer it! I think you are being cheered for.
Heck with your attitude and complete respectfulness for these Jaguar thingies I think you would actually get my blessing to build a lump!
Can't believe I just said that no one better ever hold that against me.

Umm I wonder what the judges would say at the next Jaguar concours.
You see they will not judge a car unless it has a Jag engine in it.
But the rules assume a lump. Hahaha. That would be interesting.
I think I will check the rule book on that one just for kicks.

Anyway, Cheers and keep smiling it will all work out fine and you will have one cool rig when you are done.

JustV12(with a couple o' sixes)

Last edited by justV12; 08-29-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Just thot I would throw in our mutual interest in Motorcycles.
Eight Harley Davidsons and one 1950 BMW engined Dnepr with sidecar. (Eukranian made Russki bike)
and about a hundred BSA's and a few Nortons, one stock GS750 Suzuki and One 72 Honda 450 chopper and one 71 750 Honda chopper. That accouts for thirty five years of riding.
Lots of rigid frames in that mix to rearrange my head. OK then, back to jag stuff.

JV!@

Old 08-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
...but still, appreciate the blog update. Yes...technically its a blog now.
You mean I'm a blogger ...???

The HELL you say .....!!

Imagine that ...!

(Now I just gotta figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.)

Thank you very much, or I'm sorry, whichever is appropriate?

justV12,
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you're enjoying the (thread? bloggism?, ...whatever).

Maybe I shoulda titled it "reverse lump".

I've never really embraced the typical American love for V8 engines. I don't have anything against them, mind you, but I find them kinda boring. Just don't seem to have much character.

I'm also not very brand conscious regarding engines and/or automobiles. Everyone has made some good stuff, everyone has made some dogs. I'm sorta rebelling against the the view held by many that the small-block Chevrolet is the only engine worth messing with. That's bullhockey!

Besides, nowadays some variation of the SBC engine gives new meaning to the word ubiquitous. If everybody's running the same engine, why even bother opening the hood!
Guess that's why in some circles they're referred to as "belly button" engines ..... everybody's got one!

Regarding the motorcycle interest, I'm pretty familiar with just about everything you mentioned.
I started riding in 1959, and worked at various positions in the motorcycle industry from that point until 1984. Everything from "gunk boy" up through sales manager/assistant manager of a Yamaha dealership.
Got enthralled with vintage BMWs and other European marques, did quite a bit of traveling to various rallies all over the country.
My longest ride was in the mid-'90s. Took off on what I call a "follow the front fender" tour. Ended up covering about 13,000 miles, something like 26 US states with a couple forays into Canada for rallies in Alberta and B.C. It was great!

Thanks again for reading, everyone.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

darn I was hoping this was going to be a thread about putting a LT1 in a Xj40 lol. So did I miss the pictures of the actual car the drivetrain is heading into?

Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyJag
... So did I miss the pictures of the actual car the drivetrain is heading into?
No, I never posted an actual photo of the car. It's sorta raggedy looking now, but overall it's in decent shape for bringing back to life.

Here it is:

Name:  DCP_4563a.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  42.8 KB

And here's a link to a photobucket album with more images, warts and all.
http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ine%20Special/
Note: The last few images in this album show the Chevy 235 engine that was originally slated to go in the car.
That was before I found a 270 ci GMC inline six.
And that was before I considered using the Jaguar powertrain.
(Consistency was never my big thing!)

Right now I have my head set on the Jag engine, but if it don't start behaving itself pretty soon the Chevy and GMC engines may still have a shot!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

At last an update? I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms.

Er, will the Jag engine and what have you, fit in there?

Slight understatement n'est pas? The car looks like it has been shot!

front bumper missing. both sides of windshield broken & fogged.

Name:  DCP_4567a.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  72.2 KB

Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Just a thought...is a reverse "lump" therefore called a "pmul"?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Translator
......Er, will the Jag engine and what have you, fit in there?
Good question!
If you meant is there room for it, the answer is .... I think so.
The Chevy engine compartment is roomy top to bottom, not so much side to side. Certainly some components will have to be relocated.

As an example, here's a shot of an AJ6 engine fitted into an early Jaguar MK 1 sedan. I'm pretty sure I have at least that much room to work with, probably considerably more.
Name:  aj6_engine.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  54.4 KB

(BTW ... here's a link to that swap, pretty interesting if you haven't seen it before. The guy is very skilled!)
http://jaguar.fiboy.com/Mk1.htm

Originally Posted by Translator
Slight understatement n'est pas? The car looks like it has been shot!
Yep ... I'm pretty sure it was shotgunned at some point. Thank God they stopped at the windows! I haven't found any other damage than to the actual glass.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM

Took a break from the project for a while. Needed time for my attitude to adjust itself sufficiently. Also needed time for the available info to work it's way through the sludge that serves me for a brain nowadays.

Figured maybe I had a return fuel line blocked, causing the fuel system to become overloaded.
I disconnected the return line and hit it with some compressed air.
(Before you ask...no, I did not turn the air pressure down. I'm an American, and WFO is the only way we roll!)

I was rewarded with a considerable amount of air leakage to the rear of the firewall area, followed by a dripping sound ....OMG!
After catching and recycling 3 ~ 4 gallons of fuel, I figured it was time for the fuel lines to come off.

(Note to XJ40 owners. Do you spend a lot of time wondering if your fuel lines are gonna fall off in the middle of the highway?
Probably not.
But rest assured, your fuel lines are never, EVER gonna fall off!
Trust me on this .....!!
ARMAGEDDON probably wouldn't get them to fall off ...!!!)

Seriously though, the hard fuel lines are held on by a very crafty series of vibration insulated brackets. Nice design, but damn they use a bunch of 'em!
Everything went swimmingly (love that word!) until I arrived at the 'engineers hate mechanics' conundrum. Yeah, there's always at least one of those!

One of the spiffy li'l brackets is located next to the bellhousing, and apparently installed before the engine / transmission unit. Big fun!

Finally got the fuel lines off and found what I expected, a ½" split in the return line.

Name:  DCP_4650.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  25.7 KB

Obviously this was a weakened spot in the line. I have blown through the line from the opposite end, and didn't see any debris. The hose from the end of the line into the fuel tank is also clear.

Even though you could call this a step backward, I'm encouraged by a step in any direction! I figure if there was no blockage of the line, it wouldn't have blown a split in it even in a weakened condition.

Now considering my next course of action. If this were going to be a permanent installation, no doubt I would buy the proper new part.
My aim at this point is to get the car running well enough to put a few miles on a nearby deserted road. I want to determine the condition of the transmission and driveline ... the engine has already made the grade.
(And dammit ... I just wanna drive this puppy!)

I may check the 'snake oil & magic elixir' shelf at the auto parts store for some temporary repair. It only needs to last 10 miles or so.
Besides ... if you haven't had your car burst into flames beneath you, you're really having a dull day ...!!!

Last edited by retromotors; 09-12-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Damn, it never rains, but it pours.

I would have thought a length of flexible braided hose should be good enough for short testing purposes.

Semi-transparent and you will get to see what is running through it.

Just keep it away from the exhausts!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retro ,
Just found this thread today and read the entire project. Very enjoyable ! I am reasonably close ( north MS ) so maybe I can actually lay my eyes on this Chevuar sometime .

Regards,
There He is

Old 09-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by thereheis
Retro ,
Just found this thread today and read the entire project. Very enjoyable ! I am reasonably close ( north MS ) so maybe I can actually lay my eyes on this Chevuar sometime .

Regards,
There He is
Hi, welcome to the forum.

If you read it all today, you had your work cut out for ya.
(I do get windy, don't I ...!!)

Sure, I'd be glad to have you come by sometime. I'd probably wait until things are a little further along. Right now I'd just be showing you junker A and junker B .... not too exciting.

Quick Reply: Jagulet ...??? Chevuar ...???