Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Jagulet ...??? Chevuar ...???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Just get a piece of tubing and a tubing bender and make a new line (a lot cheaper than a jag replacement) also when checking other tubes check the ones from the air pump to exhaust manifolds (they rust out)

Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumppy47
Just get a piece of tubing and a tubing bender and make a new line (a lot cheaper than a jag replacement) also when checking other tubes check the ones from the air pump to exhaust manifolds (they rust out)
Well, the problem there is the fittings at either end. They are not standard flare fittings, and I don't know if they are common or not.
(You gotta remember, when it comes to mechanics of any type, I've been 'Absent From Class' since about 1984. When it comes to automobile mechanics, you can safely add a decade to that ...!)

Anyway, for the moment the point is moot. I did a fairly decent repair on the fuel line and reinstalled everything. Can't say how the repair worked 'cause the freakin' thing still won't start!

It's still pumping raw gasoline ('scuse me ... petrol) from the line leading to the carbon canister purge valve.
At least my efforts weren't totally in vain. It's now pumping the raw fuel much more efficiently than it did before. Now it gushes out instead of just trickling ....!!!

Back to the drawing board.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

Just a thought...is it possible you have the vent line attached to the fuel line by mistake?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

As to the fittings i think you can flange the tubing, or if the only problem in the return line is what is shown I would get a couple of unions(correct size to tubing) and a piece of tubing ,cut the bad area out and assemble with the unions

Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
Just a thought...is it possible you have the vent line attached to the fuel line by mistake?
Guess I kinda made it sound that way, didn't I.
(I tend to exaggerate at times ... you may have noticed.)

No, honestly ... as far as I can determine, the fuel delivery system is working fine up to the point of delivering fuel to the fuel rail and injectors. It's after that point the problem lies.
My next step is to take a good long look at the fuel pressure regulator. It has a vacuum line that connects to the intake manifold. I don't see how that could possibly translate into pumping raw fuel out the purge valve hose, but I've been fooled before!

My Haynes manual gives a sorta generic diagram of the US spec emission control system, and another diagram of the fuel injection system. It's how these two systems interconnect and interact that leaves me in the dark.

I may not conquer ... but I will persevere!

Thanks for your thoughts.
Retro

Last edited by retromotors; 09-15-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM

Hi Lumppy,

Didn't mean to ignore you, but you posted while I was typing.
I haven't mentioned it before, but I'm handicapped. I have an advanced case of NDKS. The doctors have assured me that it's not terminal, but it really affects my speed and ability to do certain things.

I appreciate your recommendations about the fuel lines. I think my repair is good for a temporary solution. I'm trying not to sink too much money in the project at this point, because anything I do will probably be replaced or changed in the course of the transplant.

Regards,
Retro

Oh yeah, NDKS = No Discernible Keyboard Skills.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

if all you want to do is get it running long enough to zip down the road and back, why not just gerry-rig a catch can where the carbon canister is? Or you could reroute it back to the tank.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Default More carnage found (you dirty rat!)

On another thread, I posted a pic of the engine compartment of the XJ40 when I first got it, complete with a fairly large field mouse nest occupying the battery tray.
I was happy to discover no apparent rodent damage when I cleaned it up, knowing first hand the propensity of the little critters to do major damage.
(Ohhh ..look! Mmmmm, vacuum hoses, spark plug wires! Go get the kids, Minnie!)

That has come back to haunt me.

Yesterday I decided to dive in and pull the air cleaner box and related components off the engine so I could attempt to track the various vacuum hoses, etc.
(That whole area is a factory supplied rat's nest!)
Under the air cleaner box & bracket were a bunch of chewed wires.

Name:  DCP_4653.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  67.0 KB

One of the relays affected controls the air pump for the EGR system. I don't know if this is the cause of my fuel problems, but it needs fixing anyway. Part of the EGR system is the fuel tank pressure line, so maybe this is the villain.
It might also explain why the dash readout was showing several fuse codes.

When removing the rubber elbow to the throttle body, I found the bellows to contain a puddle of raw gasoline. I'm still exploring.

The wiring repair looks like a real fun time!

I'll check in later.

[EDIT]
Postscript:
I also found some old electrical tape on wires in that area. Could be some two-legged rodents involved too.

Last edited by retromotors; 09-19-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Oh joy!

At least mice tend not to use wire cutters and so will leave frayed ends for you to play with.

Mind you, this being a Jaguar, don't assume that the two bits of broken yellow wire should be joined together.

I can't remember, if you have them, but you can download the electrical diags for your car from here.

Elecrical Diagrams. The link is also in the FAQ.

This could be a step in the right direction with your fuel problem. (finges crossed).

Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, retro, my heart goes out to you. I'm still trying to find a part that I need to replace after the infamous squirrel chewing incident. It makes you sad to see chewed wires.

You're very brave to tackle this project. I've seen photos of a '53 Jag Mark VII (my favorite) rescued from an old field and restored to perfection. These jobs are huge but well worth it. Best of luck!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by baycliffpwds
.... I'm still trying to find a part that I need to replace after the infamous squirrel chewing incident.....
So ...., uh .... you chewed a squirrel?
Do tell ...!!!
Hope it was already daid.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Default Two steps forward, 1½ steps back? Or whatever...!

Some progress .... of sorts.

Got all the mouse-chewed wires replaced/repaired. Like I thought, big fun!

Sorta slapped it all back together to see if it made a difference. It did (I guess!) It's only the second time it's started on it's own, and the first time it run until I shut it off.

Mind you, it didn't run well ... but it did run. Has a dead miss at certain RPM, and you sorta have to ease the throttle on to keep from killing it. No surprise there ... I have a very suspect set of plug wires, and I'm pretty sure the fuel pressure regulator is funky.

I'll check in later.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by retromotors
So ...., uh .... you chewed a squirrel?
Do tell ...!!!
Hope it was already daid.
Once upon a time in the land of Jag-u-ah there was, sitting on a tree branch, a squirrel. We'll call him Timmy. Now, Timmy often got into trouble because of his attention deficit/hyper activity disorder and his mother was forever scolding him. Most bothersome was his preoccupation with shiny things.

One lovely Sunday afternoon, Timmy was playing when a wondrous bright shiny thing caught his eye. He was stunned. He had never seen such a big shiny thing! This was a marvelous opportunity and Timmy wasn't going to miss it. After investigating his new discovery, Timmy felt tired. This was too much excitement for one afternoon. He stretch out on a big thing called an engine and looked up. He saw something called a map sensor and its wires looked interesting, so he sniffed and tasted them. He wondered what could be inside them, so he chewed the coating to find out. Shiny little wires inside sparkled and shone and just he couldn't help himself. He chewed and bit until his tummy ached. So he went home and his mother gave him some tea and sent him to bed. After a scolding, she tucked him in and he dreamed of his shiny new discovery and what fun he could have in the morning. But, Timmy being Timmy, he wiggled too much in his sleep and fell out of his nest and was eaten by a cat.

Moral of the story: A wiry squirrel causes squirrelly wiring.

Disclaimers: Names in this story have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent. And Timmy wasn't really eaten by a cat. Unfortunately.

I had to take her to the dealership to get the chewed up map sensor wiring replaced. She's all fixed and I'm happy again. She now resides in my garage when she's not on the road.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hey mon gars, qu'est-ce qui se passe?

We are certainly awaiting an update!

Cheers,
Rich

Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM

The project has hit the back burner for a while (possibly completely off the stove?) for a few reasons:

Daily driver #1 decided it was being ignored, started making rude "gonna leave you on the side of the road" gestures.
This necessitated a quick "get running" for backup vehicle #2, which has been sitting ignored for several months whilst it's battery was installed in the Jaguar.

Imported some slave labor (albeit highly paid slave labor!) to dig a 70 foot trench out to my shop. Yesterday I purchased the wiring and piping to run electrical service and water lines to the shop ... much to the dismay of my wallet!

And just generally giving my pea brain a li'l rest before I try to grapple with the beasts of technology again.
(actually, I lie. The daily driver is an '01 model. Popped some fairly high dollars for an OBD II code reader. Device says all is fine, as the truck sits there shivering, gasping and farting. Thank you so much, technology guys!)

For baycliffpwds:

Hey Jo,
The Timmy story was heartrending, at least 'til I got to the part where he was spared by the cat.

Let me introduce you to Scoochie, pictured here with his favorite thing in life, a grape.

Name:  Scootch1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  46.9 KB

A few years back, I went out after some severe weather and found a bedraggled, wet ball of fur lying under a tree. Young squirrel had been blown out of the nest.
The little guy was only with us about 10 days, then inexplicably sickened and died. In that 10 days however, using a combination of character, antics and complete disregard of the laws of physics, he wormed his way into our hearts completely out of proportion to the time he was with us.

RIP, Scoochie

Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Ah, all is good then, thought for a minute that you had driven off into the sunset

You tell porkies in your sig line, cool pic/story of Scoochie,

So, what are you going to be doing with your workshop, mechanical, woodwork, pottery, --- we need to know

Old 10-04-2010, 02:03 PM

Nah, you can't get rid of me that easy. I'll be around spreading hate and discontent.

The shop is strictly mechanical. Give me a hammer, nail and a couple pieces of wood, and before you know it there's a crisis brewing!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Any updates?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Any updates?
Hi Keith,
Well, yes and no .... but mostly no.

Haven't done a doggone thing mechanically for months. Both the donor and recipient vehicles are sitting exactly where they were when I last threw my hands up in despair!

Instead I've devoted my recent efforts (sic) into getting my shop functional and purchasing and assembling tools and equipment I'll need during the project.
Got a spiffy new mig welder. No idea how to use it, mind you, but I've got it! Gonna contact the local junior college about taking their welding course. The last time I used any welding equipment in anger was 1964 ... and it damn sure wasn't mig equipment!

My most recent score was fairly critical to the project. Although my shop isn't tiny, it's not real big either. Since this will be a frame-up build, I needed a way to:
1) lift the body off the frame.
2) have both body and frame movable so I could shuffle them in and out of the shop as required.

So last week I picked up this little goody:

Name:  image_859.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  13.5 KB

It's a 1 ton rolling gantry. Height adjustable from 8½ - 10 ft. Also got the matching 1 ton rolling trolley (as pictured) to hook up my chain hoist.

In addition, I bought a set of heavy duty 10" casters with pneumatic tires. I'll use them to build a mobile framework to set the body on when I need to get it out of the way.

So that's the status at the moment. I appreciate your asking, and I'll try to have a little more interesting update in the near future.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Salut Retro, when you get the hang of that Mig, you will find all sorts of little jobs that could do ' wi a spot o fillin'.

The biggest challenge for a newbie, is not shooooting out miles of wire before getting intimate.

I know.

Quick Reply: Jagulet ...??? Chevuar ...???