Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

World's Most Valuable Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default World's Most Valuable Car?

I would say either the Bugatti Type 41 Royale Napolean or the Type 57sc Atlantique. What do you think?
After those ultra-rare/expensive Bugattis, I would guess some of those vintage 250 Ferraris (TR and GTO).

Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

For me ,none of them
May be the very 1st Rolls Royce ever made but I ain't into those antique rides at all lol

Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

From the Huffington Post:

World's Most Expensive Car! 1936 Bugatti Atlantic Sells For More Than $30 Million

First Posted: 05- 7-10 04:37 PM

Earlier this week, a Bugatti originally built in 1936 sold for more than $30 million to an anonymous buyer, Autbolog reported.

USA Today calls it "the most expensive used car ever," while the Wall Street Journal called it the "most valuable car ever known to have changed hands."

The auction was handled by Gooding & Company, a Santa Monica, California-based auction firm. In a statement, David Gooding, the company's president and founder, called the vehicle "one of the world's most significant and valuable automobiles."

The Bugatti 57SC Atlantic was previously owned by the trust of the late Dr. Peter Williamson, a neurosurgeon and car collector. The vehicle was the first of just three Atlantics built, according to Gooding & Company.

Whoever the buyer was, they join designer Ralph Lauren as the only two owners of these extremely rare rides.

The Wall Street Journal has some background on the vehicle:

The 57SC Atlantic was based on the Aerolithe Electron Coupe, a show car built for the 1935 Paris Auto Salon. The car's low-slung, pontoon-fender design was the work of Jean Bugatti, son of founder Ettore Bugatti. The show car was fashioned out of magnesium panels that were difficult to weld, and so Bugatti employed the car's distinctive riveted seams. And while the three production Atlantics were built of weld-able aluminum, the seams were retained as a design cue.

Attached Thumbnails World's Most Valuable Car?-s-bugatti-atlantic-large.jpg  

Last edited by WldCat; 01-11-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, Williamson's Type 57 wasn't quite the same as Ralph Lauren's, which is the only one left of the exact same body style. I think Ralph's is definitely the most sought after. But, then again those Royales would be up there.

Originally Posted by WldCat
From the Huffington Post:

World's Most Expensive Car! 1936 Bugatti Atlantic Sells For More Than $30 Million

First Posted: 05- 7-10 04:37 PM

Earlier this week, a Bugatti originally built in 1936 sold for more than $30 million to an anonymous buyer, Autbolog reported.

USA Today calls it "the most expensive used car ever," while the Wall Street Journal called it the "most valuable car ever known to have changed hands."

The auction was handled by Gooding & Company, a Santa Monica, California-based auction firm. In a statement, David Gooding, the company's president and founder, called the vehicle "one of the world's most significant and valuable automobiles."

The Bugatti 57SC Atlantic was previously owned by the trust of the late Dr. Peter Williamson, a neurosurgeon and car collector. The vehicle was the first of just three Atlantics built, according to Gooding & Company.

Whoever the buyer was, they join designer Ralph Lauren as the only two owners of these extremely rare rides.

The Wall Street Journal has some background on the vehicle:

The 57SC Atlantic was based on the Aerolithe Electron Coupe, a show car built for the 1935 Paris Auto Salon. The car's low-slung, pontoon-fender design was the work of Jean Bugatti, son of founder Ettore Bugatti. The show car was fashioned out of magnesium panels that were difficult to weld, and so Bugatti employed the car's distinctive riveted seams. And while the three production Atlantics were built of weld-able aluminum, the seams were retained as a design cue.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by cadillac
For me ,none of them
May be the very 1st Rolls Royce ever made but I ain't into those antique rides at all lol
I think the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost owned by the company may be the most expensive car in existence. I've heard estimates of $100M or more if Rolls Royce ever decides to sell it. After that perhaps one of the six Bugatti Royales.

Mike

Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Historically, it's always been about Bugatti and Ferrari - I would guess the Alfa Romeo 2.9 8C specials and Rolls are in there to. Exceptional cars make exceptional money. A dealer my father know's has recently sold a Ferrari 250 GTO, not just any, the fastest of the bunch for over $16 million. Some times you don't hear of private sales and cars changing hands. Aston Martin Project 212/214 are up there.....

I guess it's when cars become art forms in the eyes of collectors, when prices have a world of their own. If a particularly rare and desirable cars comes up for auction, and two or more really want it, and have the means, it can go skywards very quickly.
What shocks me are the values reached in a supposed depressed economy worldwide, some people obviously aren't finding this a problem, lucky them!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't care about any of those old relics. The 250 GTO is the only one I find cool but not 10m+ cool.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The Ferrari 250 GTO (if they put the correct engine back in)

Old 05-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

So I guess the pink Yugo owned by the two gay Armenian guys down the road probably didn't make the top 10?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[IMG]file:///Users/davidbarrett/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2004/30%20Jun%202004/IMG_1002.JPG[/IMG]I had the pleasure of filming at Dr Williamson's house back in 2004 for a show on Discovery. I had to pick my chin up off the floor when his garage door opened up and I saw his collection of Bugatti's. I don't think anyone on the crew could've been more careful whilst around his Atlantic. We were all on tenterhooks worried a button would mark it.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow... Beautiful car....

Not my thing though.

Ideally I would like a Ferrari. I have a friend who has a 2004 360, beautiful car.... Handles like a dream too.