Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Your next new ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 936 Likes on 613 Posts
Default Your next new ride

I just bought my first Jaguar, 2011 XKR 175, last month, with only 3,500 miles. I haven't driven it much since I purchased it because of the winter weather. I love the car it looks real sharp. I can tell if someone is envious or jealous just by their reaction. If I could put the XKR and a GT-R together taking the best from both I'd have the car I want. GT-R AWD drivetrain, electronics and XKR styling, interior and sound system.

The Nissan GT-R cost $10,000 less than the XKR but is worth a lot more after only 6 months. The XKR continues to depreciate rapidly while the GT-R slowly depreciates. Jaguar needs to continue modernizing their cars and shake off the reliability stigma.

If Nissan upgrades the GT-R interior, makes the car better looking, and keeps updating the suspension so sport/comfort controls are adjustable my next ride will be a GT-R. If Jaguar updates the XKR drivetrain and electronics I'll get another XKR. However, I think Jaguar has the biggest challenge. Looks like a GT-R in 2014-15.

Last edited by DGL; 01-18-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I just bought my first Jaguar, 2011 XKR 175, last month, with only 3,500 miles. I haven't driven it much since I purchased it because of the winter weather. I love the car it looks real sharp. I can tell if someone is envious or jealous just by their reaction. If I could put the XKR and a GT-R together taking the best from both I'd have the car I want. GT-R AWD drivetrain, electronics and XKR styling, interior and sound system.

The Nissan GT-R cost $10,000 less than the XKR but is worth a lot more after only 6 months. The XKR continues to depreciate rapidly while the GT-R slowly depreciates. Jaguar needs to continue modernizing their cars and shake off the reliability stigma.

If Nissan upgrades the GT-R interior, makes the car better looking, and keeps updating the suspension so sport/comfort controls are adjustable my next ride will be a GT-R. If Jaguar updates the XKR drivetrain and electronics I'll get another XKR. However, I think Jaguar has the biggest challenge. Looks like a GT-R in 2014-15.
What if neither happens? Jaguar will be re-doing the XK in 2014 to make it a bit larger and more luxurious to get separation from the F-Type.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm
What if neither happens? Jaguar will be re-doing the XK in 2014 to make it a bit larger and more luxurious to get separation from the F-Type.
I guess we just need to wait to see where Jaguar takes the XKR and Nissan takes the GT-R. Nissan has already announced it is going option the GT-R with more luxury features. A larger XKR will definitely keep me away from buying the next generation. I would go with a GT-R or Porsche 911 Turbo S. A sports car with AWD, sophisticated electronics and a dual clutch gets it done for me. I want more of a sports car. I never looked much into the F-type, but I think it still needs a well balanced AWD system. Acura's new NSX has potential but needs more power.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The GTR, while a technological as well as a phenomenal performance achievement just looks lousy in my humble opinion. The exterior has no grace, no sensual lines, no curvaciousness but the interior is just horribly cheap and gimicky looking, a teenager's video game on wheels. It's a track day car, not something you look forward to spending time in or taking out on a date. I have always been drawn, since I was a teenager, to cars that have timeless beauty, classic lines, that in any era still look contemporary. Whereas I can't afford every car I felt fit that description, there are many relatively inexpensive ones that embodied that look. And I have acquired a few that I always admired, both domestic and foreign. It's certainly why I bought my 2002 XKR. I belong to SoCal Audi club as my partner and I go to track weekends with his S5-6spd. To certain tracks (those than have no possibility of having moisture on them due to rain or fog drizzle) I will take my 1972 de Tomaso Pantera. Parked next to beautiful, new Audi R-8's, it certainly doesn't look old, the shape is as fresh as it was 40 years ago, and is always an attention getter wherever I take it. I believe the first generation XK series, both the convertible and the coupe as well as the second series coupe and maybe the convertible will stand the test of time very well much like Astons of the past decade or so. We'll have to wait about 30 years and see what collectors have valued then.

Attached Thumbnails Your next new ride-vp__4994-640x427-.jpg   Your next new ride-vp__3983-640x427-640x427-.jpg   Your next new ride-dscf0886-640x480-.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

And by the way, I would guess my next car will be a 2010-2013 XKR coupe that I can enjoy everyday while have the ability to take to the track once in a while (convertibles not permitted). The severe depreciation allows for some great values on lightly used XKR's. We'll see what the F-type values are like after a year or two or once the F coupe is introduced. That would be another possibility.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

im up in the air and torn as to what I should get as a next car(s)

the lease on my Infiniti ends in September....i might move into a BMW M3 or Jag F-Type.....or i might pull the trigger on a Lamborghini Gallardo if i find one nicely priced.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carzaddict
im up in the air and torn as to what I should get as a next car(s)

the lease on my Infiniti ends in September....i might move into a BMW M3 or Jag F-Type.....or i might pull the trigger on a Lamborghini Gallardo if i find one nicely priced.

I've been mulling over adding a Gallardo 2010-12 to my garage collection. Lamborghini parts are 3 to 4Xs the price of Jaguar parts and 6 to 7Xs the price of infiniti. Unless I get a great deal I'm going to wait to see what Nissan does with the GT-R. If they brand it under Infiniti and update the design I'm in line for one. Jaguar needs to update the drivetrain to AWD on the F-type. I can't believe they introduced a new sports car without a modern drivetrain.

Last edited by DGL; 01-23-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

For me, it'd have to be either an Audi A8 4.2 Tdi Quattro or perhaps a Jaguar XJR or similar ( The XK as gorgeous as it is just wouldn't fit my needs unfortunately - maybe in my next life? )

The above would be the ideal.......

Reality check - with the way the economy is right now, construction at an all time low with no end in sight, it may be a slightly used 12 year old 1.2 Renault Clio just shortly

Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

When I was still shopping for my XK I told my wife, "This will probably be the last car I ever buy." And I believed it, too. Then later she was telling a friend of hers at work that we were looking, and the friend said, "Oh when we bought our Jag my husband told me it would be the last car he would ever buy. That was like three or four cars ago!"

Could it be true? Have I just deluded myself the way countless men before me have also used this phrase to justify their extravagance?

I secretly hope so, because it worked rather well at eliminating any guilt I may feel. And although I've only had it for three months now, hearing words like "collection" already makes my skin all tingly.

That said, I just saw the Aston Martin Rapide S....

Attached Thumbnails Your next new ride-image.jpg  

Last edited by Muddydog; 01-29-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 02-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I've been following the Alfa Romeo 4C developments and its projected launch in the US. It looks like its been confirmed that 4C is coming to our shores in 2014 but... at a price in the mid $80k's which is $20k more than the originally projected price. Plus US will get only 1000 units.

Well, I won't be holding my breath as with such limited numbers we'll be sure to see $20k to $30k markup on the MSRP (unless FIAT steps in to control the order process). Also pretty sure that the US cars will all be pre-sold before they even get here. Just heard this morning that all new Vipers (800 units) were sold.

My hope is for the new Alfa Spider that will be developed with Mazda. Perhaps the price will be much more reasonable than the 4C...

Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I've been mulling over adding a Gallardo 2010-12 to my garage collection.
Have you guys tried them out? Literally, I couldn't even get in the door.

Sharp-looking cars though to be sure.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Looking more and more like a 2014 SRT Viper GTS or T/A. Vastly improved interior, comfort, and oh yes...the T/A just set a production car lap record at Laguna Seca.
http://s305.photobucket.com/user/tex...43362928121145

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 03-27-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsden
Have you guys tried them out? Literally, I couldn't even get in the door.

Sharp-looking cars though to be sure.
yes I have, driven quite a few of them actually when I started getting serious about actually buying one.

and then i got engaged......and realized the wedding was going to cost more than the car lol

however the new Range Rover sport looks absolutely GORGEOUS! i might get one to replace my G

Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I have three cars now and don't fit in any of them worth a damn.

Sacrifices must be made! Fortunately I don't drive a lot.