Other Jaguar Models / Concepts / Replicas Do you have a Jaguar model not listed above? This is the place to talk about it!

A Jaguar maybe? But which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 08:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question A Jaguar maybe? But which one?

Dear members of the forum

I did not know where exactly this could fit, so opted to post here under "other Jaguar models".

I'm still relatively new here, even though I've been quietly reading along for a while. I'm currently in a somewhat “strange” phase for me, as I don't really know which direction my next car purchase should take. As the interaction here seems very friendly and helpful, I thought the wealth of members and experiences might help me in the decision making process - after all, some of the cars I'm interested in are Jaguar(s), otherwise I wouldn't have registered here. I like special cars that you don't see every day at every crossroads. I like the “wolf in sheep's clothing”, which is often underestimated. But I have no desire for precious cars that constantly come up with new faults or cost an arm and a leg to service routine items.

Allow me to expand a little so that you can see how I got to this point. I've been a fan of the Dodge Viper GTS since I was a child, an absolute visual highlight for me. It took a long time before I was able to buy my dream car four years ago. To cut a long story short: unfortunately, it was a bit like the well-known statement “never meet your heroes”. In terms of design, it will always be my dream car, but from a driving point of view, it didn't convince me and so I recently sold it with a heavy heart. The Viper once shared its garage space with a newer Mustang Shelby GT350. A blast to drive, but even this lost its appeal over time. In addition I get to drive a rather fast coupe from Gaydon everynow and then, which I enjoy tremendously. I always had a thing for British cars.

So, I have a free space in the garage again and a desire for another automotive "adventure". And now we arrive at my dilemma: I'm interested in a few vastly different vehicles, but what's right for me? Obviously, I'll need to go and drive these cars, but I'm not a fan of "booking a dozen test drives" and stealing people's time. So, let's shorten the list!

One of my current dream cars would be a Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing with a manual gearbox. Unfortunately, due to emissions and noise levels, these vehicles can't be put on the road here without huge and consequently expensive effort. Costs for vehicle and import with duties and taxes also put it above budget. I look at the CT4-V predecessor ATS-V and CT5-V predecessor CTS-V (which are both available here) from time to time, but unfortunately the interior is a turn-off. Might just go and give one a try though. Apparently, the handling must be superb.

My father drove Jaguars for a long time (X100 XK8 & XKR, X-Type 2.5 and 3.0, XF 3.0 Diesel and X351 XJ 3.0 AWD). I remember all these cars well and I still like the shape of the X100 XK8 and XKR today. An interesting car in terms of purchase costs, and I really like the classic interior (when the three round instruments are installed). I fear I might not like it for a longer period maybe?

A XKR-S with front-end damage would currently be available at a somewhat interesting price nearby, and I'm in the process of figuring out what the repair would cost in detail. However, I've only driven a 4.2l convertible once, which didn't really blow me away back then (but that was 13 years ago and I was younger). However, the costs for the front with the carbon lip, radiators, hoses and work are very high, and I still don't know whether there is more broken than the photos suggest. The rims also show curb damage and would have to be replaced or repaired. However, the vehicle only has about 60k km on the clock and makes a good impression otherwise. The gap dimensions also suggest that this is either a somewhat larger parking damage or that it was driven up at low speed. No airbags went off. It would therefore not be an accident vehicle in the classic sense, as no load-bearing parts appear to be affected. As I have two small children, I could also take the kids with me in this car. But I wonder whether these rather steeply shaped rear seats are suitable for child seats at all? And there's the danger of more being broken than appears. Obviously I can't test drive a car with a broken radiator.

I drove an F-Type R Roadster from 2017 (facelift) a while ago, and it was quite something. There will never be a sound like that again in the future (even though even I have to admit it's almost a bit "much"), and I like a good sounding car. However, such a car is slightly over budget, and no room for the kids (not a deal breaker, though).

Then there's a slight interest in the XFR-S. There's even one of the 61 estate cars nearby, but it's not that interesting in terms of price. But there is also a limousine for sale, price wise a bit cheaper than a repaired XKR-S would be. I've never driven one. Would have enough space for the family. But will a fast limousine be a fun weekend car? Same would apply to Cadillac ATS-V/CTS-V.

Last but not least, there is a Maserati 3200GT with high mileage but low price from a collection. The car has been standing for 10 years, and initial information from a mechanic friend of mine who works a lot with these cars gives a rough estimate of the cost of restoration. For me, it's also a very nice car, with significantly more space in the rear than an XKR-S - but somehow I can't shake the feeling that it could be a bottomless pit. Then there's the fear there might always be something (sticky buttons and so on).

So there we have the dilemma: XK8/XKR, XKR-S, F-Type, XFR-S, ATS-V/CTS-V, 3200GT. I've never had such a jumble of interests!

Any experiences cross-shopping these cars or from driving these cars?