Other Jaguar Models / Concepts / Replicas Do you have a Jaguar model not listed above? This is the place to talk about it!

Lt1 / xjs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 / xjs

I know this is an old thread, but I plan to drop you a PM as soon as I get full access, unless you want me to hijack your thread - or even start another...

I am about to do this exact same thing. I have a 90 XJs (pre-facelift on the outside, facelift on the inside). I drove it for about 60,000 miles before I put water in it while it was hot and cracked a head. I just bought a 96 camaro z28 with a blown headgasket. The T56 and LT1 are going into the XJS.

I am most interested in hearing about your clutch master cylinder woes. I have a manual pedal assembly from the UK with the Jag clutch master. I was hoping I could just have a line made up that is Jag on the one end and GM on the other.

Last edited by GGG; 12-19-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: edit typo in thread title so it appears in searches
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a problem. You can call my cell also. 817-913-8999. I'm in Texas.

Then I can tell you how much fun (not) it was to put the 4.11 gears in the rear end. But I can do it now...

Chris

Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM

I hear you about the gears... I was kind of hoping that, with the added torque from GM, the reduced weight, and the extra sub-overdrive gear, that I would be OK with Jaguar's gears.

Is there any reason that I can't use the Jaguar clutch master? Or can I make the GM master work on the Jag assembly? Where did the shifter come through the console? How "cobbled" is that going to look?

I plan to give you a call. I have kind of a strange schedule, though. So my free time can come at weird hours.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 AM

You definitely want to use the Jag clutch master cylinder. They all have the space for it. The shifter will come in closer to you. Back and to the left. I know a guy that makes the ski slopes that can put the hole where you want it and does a great job matching the wood in your car. I also had him put in cup holders instead of ash trays since I don't smoke. It's called British Autowood in Altamonte Springs, FL.
My car came with 3.54 gears since it was already a 5 speed car. Yours, more than likely, has 2.88 gears and it is going to feel like you are taking off in second gear. Of course you'll be able to go about 160 mph... I calculated out where I wanted my RPM's to be in fourth gear at the 1/8th mile mark at the drag strip with my tire size and the 4.11's were the best fit. 4.27's would have worked also but it gets bad enough fuel economy already. Even with the double overdrive. But then again I didn't build the motor to get 25 mpg...Not at 425 hp. I've been through it all so ask anything you like. Chris

Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 PM

Well, your car and mine are definitely going to be for different purposes. I won't be racing mine - I have an old BMW for that, but I do want some power. I'm going to re-ring the engine and just put it back together as stock. In the future, I plan to add twin turbos at 4psi or so. I'd like to have the same performance that I get with the BMW. It has a 2.5L engine with a 10psi turbo in a 3000 pound car. I figure 4 psi should get me close.

They make 2 different manifolds for adding turbos to a camaro. One puts the turbos on the side of the engine, right next to the valve cover,s and the other puts the turbos at the front of the engine, right behind the radiator. I figure there is probably more room at the front, since the LT is shorter by 2 cylinders...

Altimont Springs is not that far from me. I am in Tampa. I'll have to give him a shout!

I think I have the 2.88 gears. It's not that much different that what I have in the BMW. I think the BMW is 2.79. You're right about 1st gear, but it sure is nice while I'm on the interstate, cruising about 80, and only turning about 2100rpm. I've had all kinds of gears in this car and I like this the best. Of course I can always change the gears after the swap is done.

If yours was a 5 speed to begin with, why didn't you just keep the Jag clutch master?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Hey,

I did use the Jag clutch master cylinder. It was the slave cylinder I had to make work. The Chevy slave cylinder has a funky end where it connects that uses a pin instead of screwing in. That made it impossible for me to use it unless I spliced the lines and they were two different diameters.

As far as the gears go...I am turning 2050 rpm's in 6th gear at 75 mph. It was at 1750 rpm's at that speed with the 3.54 gears. I don't think you would ever be able to use 6th gear with 2.88's. Really depends on your tire size. The taller, the worst it will be. I have 245/45/17's. With 2.88's, my size tire would put you at 1400 rpm's at 75 mph. It would be lugging at that speed and you would be downshifting to 5th gear all the time which wouldn't be terrible at 2100 rpm's for that speed but not really practical. I guess you could use 6th gear going down all of those big hills in Tampa...

Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 AM

I forgot to consider the different tire sizes. I'm running 15's on the back of the BMW... Did you just use standard Dana 44 gears with spacers?

Thanks for the heads-up on the hose diameters. I ran into that problem when I put A/C on my truck. I made an adapter on the lathe. I imagine I could do the same here and have a local hose company crimp the hoses onto it with hydraulic clamps... Out of curiosity, what slave did you use and how much adapting did you have to do to make it fit the tranny?

What was your solution for the front springs? This thing always sat high in the front and low in the rear, anyway. I can only imagine how bad it's going to be after going on a 500# diet.