Photography Interested in Photgraphy? Discuss equipment, angles , lenses and techniques here. Photos are a must of course....

A way to get into photography

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post A way to get into photography

This is not new, in any way, but some members may not be aware of it, or its potential, so I thought I would post this. I may be useful to someone. Only my opinion, of course...

First, if you are even a little bit serious in your interest in photography, get an SLR. It does not matter which one, but it must allow lens changing, and preferably lens adapters (we`ll get to that in a bit). There are two main reasons for this:

1 - SLRs have big sensors, much bigger than compacts. This allows more light to form an image, which is why an SLR image has usually more information in it than a similar image taken with a small-sensor camera.

2 - If you are interested in photography, you are interested in making images. And some aspects of an image are strictly dependent on the type of lens used to shoot the image: perspective (apparent size of things related to distance), out-of-focus rendering, depth of field in relation to distance, even micro-detail and micro-contrast, which we perceive as sharpness. Others, while also dependent on the lens, can be "worked on" by digital post-processing: color hue, various types of optical distortions, etc.
But the main issue is that, if you can`t change the lens, all your photos will have some common aspects...even with a super-zoom compact model.

It doesn`t have to be expensive. For serious picture-taking, any used 5-year old SLR is good enough, and most entry models (Canon 300D, or Digital Rebel in the US, or a Nikon D70) are probably cheaper than a new mid-range compact. They usually come with a basic zoom lens...which leads me to the main reason I thought of writing this: most people refuse the SLR route because of the cost of lenses. One or two good ones is an expensive proposition: several lenses are a prohibitive expense!

But that`s only if you buy new or recent lenses made for your camera. Many people, including me, have found that some modern SLRs allow the use of older, manual-focus lenses via mechanical adapters, and that these obsolete, heavy and very cheap (if compared with their new, modern counterparts) can give very good, even excellent, photographic results...even if they need more work to get there. Essentially, you give up auto-focusing, and usually diaphfragm pre-selection, for a 10-fold reduction in price and the ability to experiment with different lens types without great expense (2nd hand old lenses can usually be sold for the same kind of money that was paid for them). It also allows some tricks that are not usually possible with modern lenses, like bellows extensions, Perspective-correction lenses, astro-photography, etc. Some of these are, with all-modern gear, either impossible or horridly expensive, and so would be off-limits to guys like me...were it not for manual adapters, eBay and some understanding of how photography works.

I like photography as a way to reveal details that are not normally visible to the naked eye, and macro-photography in particular. Were it not for finding out about this, I would not be able to enjoy my hobby. When I did, I thought "I wish somebody had told me sooner!".

Well, here it is.

There`s more, but this is already too long-winded. If someone`s interested, ask away, and I will tell what I know about this. If not, no use in wasting bandwidth...

FYI

DF

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dfrois, I'm not sure I completely agree with everything said. I would reccomend a DSLR over a compact in most cases, but there are a few folks I've spoken with who were overwhelmed with the DSLR so gave up on photography. When the picked up a point-n-shoot to just do family snaps, got back into it when they could start without worrying about overcomplicating the shooting.

1 - SLRs have big sensors, much bigger than compacts.

This is true, but the compacts are getting better. I definitely get better picture quality with my DSLR than I got with my P&S, however, in many cases I use a bit of post processing and a few images I have I can't remember which camera I used to take them. I don't typically use the full resolution to save the images, but always shoot with the full resolution. A bit of smoothing and size reduction, and the results can be very good. For most of my 'amazing' shots, it has to do more with finding the photo opportunity and not which camera I have on me.

2 - ...some aspects of an image are strictly dependent on the type of lens used to shoot the image:

True, but when first starting out, I think composition, framing, etc are more important than lens effects. It depends on what you're looking for, but when I first got my DSLR I focused on learning depth of field effects, and wound up with several poor images with really cool DOF effects. I forgot about basic photography and just looking at what I could do with the new camera. ;-) I learned quite a bit from doing that, but for some reason the people who I showed them to didn't find them all that interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I can do sooo much more with my DSLR than I can with the old P&S, but funilly enough I am going to pick up a new P&S camera today. There have been a few times lately I didn't feel like lugging my DSLR gear around, and have consequently lost photo opportunities. My old P&S is still ok, but a bit big and slow compared to the new ones, so wanted to pick up a 'pocket' camera so I don't miss opportunities when I don't want to drag the DSLR out to play, or don't have my P&S as it's a bit bulky for a pocket and ends up being left in the car, or on the table, or in the other room, etc. I wouldn't say someone looking to get into photography NEEDs a DSLR, or shouldn't buy one if they can afford it. You can do more with them, but don't want anyone to not get into photography because they don't think they can afford the right equipment or are intimidated about carring around around several lenses and having to choose which one to use.

Once I get my new camera, I was planning on doing some photos of my Jag to post. I'll try to do some with each camera to see how they compare.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

man i wiash u wrote that a few motnhs ago lol
i bought a p100, over and slr, and i regret it, even though its a great camera, i have some amazin g shot so of the sunset in town

Old 10-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a professional photographer I am very biased when it comes to this topic. P&S vs. DSLR. You can never go wrong with a DSLR but more often than not you will go wrong with a P&S.

First off most point and shoots only shoot JPEG, not RAW. But Roadhouse, what is RAW? Raw is just another type of file that a camera uses. It is larger than JPEG because it has more information in it. When you shoot JPEG and process it you automatically lose 50% or more of the information from the photo. Not a big deal to some but if you want to do some good PP (post production) on your photos it will be harder to do on a JPEG than a RAW file. That is just one aspect (and a picky one at that).

Interchangeable lenses. I know of one or two out there that have them but even those p&s cameras are garbage compared to a DSLR. P&S have zoom but that is not the same as a zoom lens. When you zoom with a point and shoot all it is doing is enlarging the picture already there, in turn you are losing valuable pixels and data, in turn you are getting a bad shot. Interchangeable lenses, while troublesome at times, are fantastic because you can create so many wonderful shots.

Value. While at first a P&S might seem like a good value, you might want to take a closer look. Think of it like a car. As soon as you take it out of the box and start shooting with it, it loses most of it's value. A DSLR on the other hand only loses a fraction of the value. I have a Canon 40D. This body was made 3 years ago and while it might not command the same value as it was brand new ($1300-1500 I believe) I can still get 600-700 for this bad boy. Try doing that with ANY point and shoot, even a few months old.

Megapixels. More does not mean better. Period. You can take a 20mp point and shoot, and my 10mp 40D, take the exact same image of whatever, print them on an 8x10 and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Now if you are printing them onto billboard sized posters, that is where more MP comes in handy. Or if you like to do a lot of cropping, and I mean A LOT. Other than that, 8-15mp is just fine for what you want to do.

There is a ton more that I am going to write later, but this is good for now. If anyone has ANY questions about camera stuff please feel free to drop me a line. I would be more than happy to help you out.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My wife and I are very keen amateur photographers. We have years of experience but have never had to make a living doing it so our experience is based on a strictly amateur view.

1. Totally agree that a DSLR gives you better capability. The larger sensor means you can shoot pictures in lower light with much less noise than the smaller sensors in the P & S and SuperZooms. I like to avoid the use of flash if possible so low noise, low light pictures are important to me and I choose my camera accordingly.

2. We always carry a camera around with us, however it is not always convenient to carry a DSLR which are much larger (even the smaller ones like the Nikon D3100 etc.). We both have a good quality P & S (in our cases the Canon G11, but it could be the Canon S95 or Panasonic Lumix LX5 etc.) which we will have with us when the DSLR is just too inconvenient to carry. Pictures present themselves at the most inopportune moments, so having a camera around is key.

3. Choice of manufacturer is very personal. My Wife uses Canon and I use Nikon. Wasteful on lenses I know, but I am happier with the Nikon, my wife loves her Canon 7D. You should have a camera with which you are comfortable and not just purchased because of its specs (which can be very misleading). You do not want to be having to think about buttons and menus when in the field.

4. Think about for whom you are taking the picture. As an amateur we take them as a record or piece of art for our personal use. We do not care whether the world in general likes them. Professionals have a different view, although successful professionals are usually people who have the skill and capability to see the world through a camera lens that resonates with the world.

5. Photography is not all about the camera. It is about seeing the world and understanding light and what makes good pictures. You can give the best camera in the world to someone, but if they do not have the skill they will not make "good" pictures. Some of the best photographers use equipment that would be considered to be well below the current state of the art, but they still produce amazing pictures. You can take good pictures with the most amazingly modest equipment.

6, Subscribe to photographic magazines that teach you how to take pictures and are not just equipment reviews. Learning to take good pictures is most of the fun. Once you know what you like to photograph you can choose your equipment. e.g. sports photographers often need cameras that can shoot rapid sequences of pictures and a telephoto lens with a wide aperture so that they can take shots in poor lighting on the football or soccer field for example. Thus they look for equipment to meet that requirement.

I look forward to hearing from people with more professional experience than myself but hope my comments are helpful in some way.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 AM

My personal advise when I'm asked by someone, what camera should I buy? I respond with one that works. In the digital age camera bodies are expendable. I suggest if you're serious about photography an SLR is the best bet for most people. As far as brands go, I suggest you pick the lenses first and buy the best you can afford. The body is secondary. If you have the time and money and detail is what you're most concered with, especially in a large print, medium format and large format is the way to go. Film is still readily available and it scans. Large film still outclasses digital 35mm type sensors as far as detail and enlargement ablity. Professionally, I still use film where needed. Digitalwise, there are many great cameras out there and don't forget the used stuff! Just because it's a new model doesn't make it better than what it replaced. I work with Canon, Love thier glass selection, and have owned the 20D, 40D, 1Ds, and 1Ds MkIII. All were great and still are. I'd recommend any of them in a second. But, remember the camera is only a tool used to produce the final work. It's more how you use the tool than how well it supposedly works. I can still take the same crappy photo with a 10,000 setup as I can with a $65 setup.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Okay guys, im making the jump, im selling my p100, and ive decided ont he new rebel, it was between the rebel or the nikon d90, and i decided after mush reseach the rebel is for me. Heres hopeing for the best

Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 AM

I'm really interested in photography but im not sure what qualifications are needed. Thanks for your advice.

nail polish
After completing only half of the first day of p90x schedule, Lombardi says he woke up sore and ill. He states that anyone who has done the workout knows what it feels like after the first day. The routine included push-ups after pull-ups in a very demanding way.

Last edited by Car111; 10-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

there are no real qaulifications> What ive learned the past year of pursueing my hobby is this.

To be a successfull photograpgher...business wise is the following.

1. Marketing
2.customer service
3. your photograpghic skill

in that order of importance.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Car111
I'm really interested in photography but im not sure what qualifications are needed. Thanks for your advice.
Buy a camera, start taking pictures. It's quite simple.

A lot of the advice in this thread is ok, but it really doesn't matter what camera you use.

For the absolute best consumer/prosumer image quality there are a few digital rangefinders (non-DSLR) that can match or exceed DSLR quality. Micro 4/3 systems with interchangeable lenses can sometimes match or exceed DSLR quality.

You can do some pretty amazing things with a Canon G12 if you don't want a 2-4lb camera and a bag with accessories with you. It basically has all the manual functions and is a good stepping stone between a pure point and shoot and a DSLR.

And money isn't everything, you can take amazing pictures with a shoebox with a hole in it if that's your thing...

Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Pinhole Cameras are awesome and can be made from anything in any size for just almost nothing. The results can be breathtaking.

As for qualifications. You need none. You don't even need to be good. In the digital age everyone calls themselves a pro if they bought stuff that make them look like they are. But if you're business savvy you'll be able to pull it off with minimal skills photographically. I see it here everyday.

Last edited by 270weatherby; 04-21-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 AM

photography is the art, science and practice of creating durable images by recording light or other electromagnetic radiation.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 AM

It is true that if you're serious about photography an SLR is the best bet for most people.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Then there is my Sony *** SLT.

But some of my best shots have been with my Sony N1 & N2 p & s.

Attached Thumbnails A way to get into photography-dsc09958rw.jpg  

Last edited by direng; 05-08-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Amtecinc54
It is true that if you're serious about photography an SLR is the best bet for most people.
Yes, the reason being is they offer you a much wider range of "instruments" you can use and control over light that a simple digital camera cannot.

You can shoot in extremely low light, and the result being a great image with very little noise ( noise is the grainy look of any image), you can try with a normal camera and the image will look barely distinguishable.

Another benefit is you can change lens, say you need to shoot a bird, even a superzoom digital camera will provide mediocre shots while a slr, with a zoom lens will be a high quality shot.

Don't get me wrong, I have a few image from my p100 from a few years ago that kinda sell well....kinda.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I personally stink at photography and only the world of digital let me come close to finally getting a few good shots (like 1 out of 50?.... maybe...).

I was also fortunate for a time to be married to a woman that had that special gift for seeing a shot before she ever lifted the viewfinder to her eye. She taught me quickly that although the quality of equipment is important, if you lack the basic skill to "see" and frame the subject (like me), the gear simply wont do it for you.

Folks would ask her "Whats the best camera to use?" and she loved to answer "The one you have with you at the time." Because in many cases it didn't matter to her if she had one of her SLRs or the Canon ELF in her purse, She simply got great shots...

Just a story I like to pass on to other novices like me...

Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 696 Posts

I had an interest in photography as a teenager and considered a possible career. Through high school and college, I worked several photography jobs, as a clerk in two different professional camera stores and at two different photo processing labs. I talked to an awful lot of people trying to make a living at photography and decided there were too few jobs for too many wannabes. This was back before digital. Digital has opened the world up to even more wannabes (practice was very expensive back in the film and paper days) but with actual print media on the decline, I'm not sure the internet has expanded the need for professional quality images by the same amount. Seems a tough business to make a living at regardless what kind of camera you use.

One kinda cool photo business idea somewhat Jaguar related, I've seen "professionals" set up at car shows. They can photograph your car, work some Photoshop magic and print a poster of your car with a listing of all your modifications or statistics right there on a large format plotter while you wait.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

DSLR are great!

Last edited by Cat888; 05-12-2012 at 08:09 PM.