Photography Interested in Photgraphy? Discuss equipment, angles , lenses and techniques here. Photos are a must of course....

wide angle lens

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
Im going to wait and see if canon comes out with a 70d....I really like the feel of canons, they feel so right but I hate there eos plastic bodys and the 7d is due for a update soon so im holding out.

Ethier way, there both good cameras, nikon and canon.
Unlike the predecessors, the 60D body is made from polycarbonate, not magnesium alloy. It seems that metal bodies will only be in the 1D/5D/7D series from now on.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome discussion..

Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I'm just getting into photography! I just got a canon eos t2i/550d and I want to do some video with my car as well as other cars. What have you guys heard about the canon 50mm f1.8?
The 1.8 is a great lens for beginners. The quality isn't as good as the 1.4 but that is to be expected at the price point.
As mentioned, with the 50mm you are going to get quite a close-cropped image. Add to that the magnification (x1.6) of the APS-C sensor and it's an interesting lens to use.

The beauty of it is primarily the wide aperture, which will allow you to get used to the concept of depth of field.
The fact it is a prime lens means it is has better image quality then many of the zooms at the same focal length. The simplicty of design make it more robust to hits, etc and the price point makes it very attractive.

Yes, the close crop can be an issue indoors, but isn't outside where you can move around more. It's great for capturing smaller details and because of the lack of zoom, it allows you to practice correct framing of an image.
I often take a 50mm as the only lens when I go out due to the low weight and creative shots that it almost forces you to take.
Great for portraiture (inside and out).

In other words, get it, you won't regret the decision.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have a few DSLRs, because I`m a gear freak, but none of them is current, except my Nikon D90 (bordering on obsolete). Megapixel count has increased, and noise at high ISO has decreased, but not much else of importance has changed in the past 3 or 4 years. Lenses are far more important than bodies for getting the image you want, and they don`t turn obsolete easily or quickly. For some uses, people can use old manual lenses on modern digital bodies, with excellent results. I do it all the time, but don`t try to capture sports or running wildlife that way, unless you don`t care that only one or two out of 200 images are any good.

But, the eye of the photographer is far, far, far more important than any gear. I always think of this quote I saw, I think it is in Ken Rockwell`s site: "Any modern DSLR can capture the image that you are seeing. But, first you must SEE the image..."

So, get whatever tickles your fancy and shoot away, a lot. Then, spend lots of time looking at the images you made, try to find out why they are different from what you imagined, and then try to find out how can you make them closer to your vision...And do not worry too much about gear, unless it is really necessary for some capture that you want to make. The only real choice of relevance is the system: lenses, flashes and accessories are usable across a system, so you can change just the body and reuse everything else...and even that is not definitive, unless you have vast amounts of money already invested.

Just my two cents.

For the record, I prefer Nikon, but use Canon more because of better compatibility with old manual lenses. I do not like autofocus, but use it when it is convenient. I use manual otherwise, sometimes even with AF lenses.

Also for the record, I have had a Canon EF 50mm f1.8, and while the images are very good, it is very fragile and always left me doubting if it would make to the end of the day. I gave it away when I got a Canon EF 50mm Macro f2.5. Not much less aperture, IQ as good or better, and much better built, as good as any modern non-pro lens I have seen. For low light, I still prefer a Zeiss Planar 50mm f.14, or the Planar 1.7, on an adaptor, on a Canon body. Will have to try a recently acquired Nikon AI 50mm f.1.4 on the D90 to compare, but the D90 does not measure light with non-AF lenses, so not useful for some things.

Just an opinion. And do yourself a favour and spend some time in Ken Rockwell`s site, and Thom Hogan`s...you will not regret it. Also, check out Bjorn Rorslett`s site...

DF

Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Ken rockwells site is very good. I like the lens reviews on it. And the D90 i would say it obsolete there are people out there rocking the d40 and still getting great pictures then there newer counter parts..why becuase it is not about the gear like many say but the man/female/photographer behind it.

I had a nikon p100...amazing littel camera but it had its problems, me and a friend went to the mountains in winter to check out hiking spots.

WHile there he brough his olympus dslr...and he liked my little bridge ( Point and shoot on steriods) camer cuase the pictures turned out "nicer" why becuase I had takent he time to fiddle around witht he settings and learn it. He wanted to trade a DSLR for a point and shoot lol

Anywho its about the time you dedicate to a hobby, if you enjoy it you will be more passiante and strive to be better. Many parents have the problem of going out and buy a new dslr ( canon or nikon) and end up not liking them cause there too complicated or the pictures dont turn out.

Buy a camera/gear that works for you and make the best of it by learn as you go. I have fallen intot he trap of the online reviews and forums and it make people undecided on what to get.

CANON or NIKON there both tools of the trade but its up to the person behind them to use. AANd the fast 50's ( 50mm primes) are a grat beginner and pro len i think.

I like nikon more but the canon 60d feels nicer then the new nikon d7000 so Im holding off until i know what lens i want for sure and which maker is better for that.

The camera body's isnt as important as the technique,lens, style and patience of the photgrapgher.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I need a tough camera, that has some weather resistant properties. I loved the 60d..but its plastic, and slower then the older 50d, and not as strong. But I love the screen on it. And its feel. but nikon d7000 is built better, but dosent feel right. Just cuase its smaller. hmmm to bad they dont rent cameras for a day

Hahahaha.. i was thinking the same thing.. why don't they rent out camera or lens.... then when i got married a month ago.. i talk to the wedding photographer .. he complemented me on the D7000 hold by my brother .. then he showed me his lenses and camera body. I love the D2 and his D700.. really great feel to it.
Then he mention if interested to try lenses or body.... we can rent it out for a day..a week or even a month....

this is the website he introduced... maybe use can try it...
Rent Digital Cameras and Backs, Lenses, Lighting, Grip, Computers And Video Gear!

ps:... as you said.. you are looking for lenses... may want to try sigma.. I loved sigma lenses as they are affordable.. and for my skill level it still is a fine lenses.
i got 24-70 F2.8 EX DG HSM
then 70-200 F2.8 EX DG HSM2 OS
and a nikon 18-105 ..

but beware..sigma older model 24-70 f.28 EX DG Macro can't work on D7000, i purchase it online. then return it. I even tried it at Local Ritz camera store using their D7000 units... (3 of them) and all is froze, can't even turn on the camera.

take care...

Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
Hahahaha.. i was thinking the same thing.. why don't they rent out camera or lens.... then when i got married a month ago.. i talk to the wedding photographer .. he complemented me on the D7000 hold by my brother .. then he showed me his lenses and camera body. I love the D2 and his D700.. really great feel to it.
Then he mention if interested to try lenses or body.... we can rent it out for a day..a week or even a month....

this is the website he introduced... maybe use can try it...
Rent Digital Cameras and Backs, Lenses, Lighting, Grip, Computers And Video Gear!

ps:... as you said.. you are looking for lenses... may want to try sigma.. I loved sigma lenses as they are affordable.. and for my skill level it still is a fine lenses.
i got 24-70 F2.8 EX DG HSM
then 70-200 F2.8 EX DG HSM2 OS
and a nikon 18-105 ..

but beware..sigma older model 24-70 f.28 EX DG Macro can't work on D7000, i purchase it online. then return it. I even tried it at Local Ritz camera store using their D7000 units... (3 of them) and all is froze, can't even turn on the camera.

take care...

No my local camera store doesnt rent, only there major store in the capital....and i got a ticket while asking them for parking. I got the ticket int eh jag, while the hond ain front didnt pay the meter ethier didnt get one. hmmmmmm carism?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Okay so im looking for a good cheap wide angle lens.

Everything ive seen so far is around 700-1500

anybdy got any idea's suggestions? and its would be for nikon d7000
Look at KEH Camera in Atlanta.....they have used lenses that are better than the published rating. Look at a Sigma 10-20 superwide zoom. A great lens for a great price.......I have been a professional photographer for over 30 years and the last 10 using all digital equipment.
If you own the 7000 buy the best you can FIRST, not last....otherwise you've just wasted your money.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Finding a lens is a difficult adventure. I would recommend renting a lens and many are available at any good camera shop that way you will find the right lens for you. If you are looking for a used lens go to a reputable place to get it. This is one place that has been around for a while and has a good reputation B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders they have new and used. I hope this helps!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

No body rents near or in my town unforunatly

Old 05-27-2011, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Ken rockwells site is very good.
Ken Rockwell's "reviews" are often contested. His methodology is questionable at times. I'd much sooner trust DPReview.com or The-Digital-Picture.com. Imaging-Resource.com is also a good site to go to. Also, read comments from users on other photography sites than rely on a single source. Search for POTN for the Canon forum or Nikonians for the Nikon camera forum for excellent user reviews and opinions.

Just my .02.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 AM

Man I gotta get me a wide angle lens now!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Im going to wait and see if canon comes out with a 70d....I really like the feel of canons, they feel so right but I hate there eos plastic bodys and the 7d is due for a update soon so im holding out.

Ethier way, there both good cameras, nikon and canon.

So are you planning to give up your D7000? didn't you just got it middle of this year?

Well, i have few nikon lenses.. but saving money to jump to zeiss lenses, manual focus, but with the T* coating which suppose to make the picture clearer.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

My "daily" shooter is a Canon EOS XSi (aka, 450D). I have 2 lenses for it, the stock 18-55MM lens and I also picked up a 55-250mm lens. I find that the 18-55MM is more of my daily lens and I use the other lens more for playing around and very specific things (air shows when the planes are far away, some sunset stuff, etc).

The big thing that I have found at least with my camera is that the slower ISO/ASA I can use, the more the colors pop on the picture. Sure, it can be difficult to keep things in focus if you are hand holding the camera. But, thankfully my lenses have image stabilization, so, that helps. I don't have a problem holding the camera in hand down to 1/10th of a second.

Getting back to the subject at hand, just how wide of a field of view are you looking for? A site that I find lots of good information at is Digital camera photo galleries, gallery database, info and forums. While this is more Canon specific information, the same concepts can be used for other brands as there is a lot of discussion of how to set up the camera to get the depth of field you are after and things like that. Some of the guys will even talk about their other brands of cameras. So, always something to get out of a site like that.