PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[Western US]: 1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale

103,094 miles (showing 64,607 but according to the service records, the speedometer was changed in 1990 at 38,487 miles), strong running car with current California smog cert. but needs transmission and some minor body work. Asking $2,500.00.

The reality is that you could fix or replace the transmission, put on the spare tire and run this XJ6 as a daily driver tomorrow, but
I’m listing this as a “project” because it needs transmission work and has an ugly dent low on the left front fender below the bumper and a tear in the left front tire sidewall, so will need to be picked up with a trailer. It runs great, everything works, it has just been smogged and is registered through the end of the March 2018, at which point it will be registered as a non-op until it finds a new home.

I bought this car in 2014 from a forum member who took excellent care of the car. It has been my daily driver for 3.5 years, has been a joy to own and while it's not perfect, it has not wanted for maintenance or care. It’s very mechanically sorted (current transmission issue notwithstanding ), if a bit scruffy in places cosmetically, although some of that is that the black paint makes a bigger deal out of every little blemish than would any other color.

This is the Vanden Plas trim, so it has the walnut dash with slightly recessed gauges, wood trim along the doors, door cards with puddle lights, bucket-style back seat and the cool old aeroplane-style flip-out reading lights for the rear passengers.

The original Borg-Warner BW-66 transmission has developed a fault where Reverse is intermittent and Neutral shifts itself into Drive, which caused the car to move forward of its own volition and smack into a light pole, causing some damage to the left front fender (photos included). The only reason I’m letting the car go instead of repairing it is that I have overextended myself and have one car too many for my budget to keep them all up. That said, I still think this is a great car and don't want to see it get broken and parted out. My hope is that it will find its way to a fellow Jaguar enthusiast who can do his or her own maintenance and bring the car back to its proper glory. I’m not in a hurry to sell it. This car has been very good to me and it is important to me that the right owner take it on.

I am the third owner. Between the previous owner and myself, the following work has been done to refresh the car and make it more usable as a daily driver in modern traffic:
  • New starter with an upgraded unit,
  • New alternator,
  • New fuel pump,
  • New fuel float in right side tank,
  • Rebuilt headlight fuse box,
  • New Euro spec headlight switch with more lighting options than U.S. spec
  • New LED headlights,
  • Aftermarket fog lights
  • Lights-on warning buzzer,
  • Like-new period correct steering wheel,
  • 4 Kent Alloy wheels replaced with pre-owned pepperpot wheels (original 5 Kent Alloys included with purchase)
  • K&N high performance air filter
  • Pertronix Flame Thrower ignition system
  • New spark plugs (iridium) and high performance ignition wires,
  • New mechanical fan blade,
  • New belts,
  • New coolant reservoir and hoses
  • New right-side tank float
  • LEDs in gauges: coolant temp, oil presssure, amps, and fuel
  • Pre-owned Jaguar trip computer from a later model XJ or XJ-S
  • Tappet stakedown kit installed on exhaust side cam,
  • Ceramic brake pads to limit dust accumulation on wheels
  • "Capacitor mod" installed to prevent cold-to-warm over fueling problem.
  • New OEM hazard switch
  • Modern Pioneer CD stereo with hands free, bluetooth and subwoofer
  • Remote/keyless entry
  • upgraded sway bar end-links to flatten cornering
  • Bilstein shocks (4) in rear "cage" to preserve Jaguar ride while enhancing road holding.
  • New poly steering rack bushings
  • New Upper shock mount bushings
  • New poly sway bar bushings
  • 7” headlights
  • Replaced oil pressure sensor and gauge

What's good:

• Engine starts without hesitation and runs strong
  • Car passes smog
  • Brakes and suspension are good, car handles very well for a series 3
  • Dash top is perfect and covered
  • Wood is 8 out of 10 on top, 5 out of 10 on console
  • Headliner is original and excellent
  • A/C and heat work beautifully
  • Gauge reads more or less accurately
  • Trip computer works
  • Tank switch-over works
  • No leaks, mold or mildew
  • Sunroof works
  • Cruise control works
  • Lifetime California car
  • Lots of maintenance records

What's not so good:

• Transmission - Reverse is intermittent, Neutral is basically Drive
  • Front left fender/wing is damaged below front bumper
  • Left front tire has a small tear on inside sidewall from the accident that damaged the fender. Spare in the trunk is good but on a Kent Alloy wheel. For safety, car should be picked up with a trailer.
  • Trunk lid has a hole in the center from an old cellular phone antenna. This is currently plugged, doesn't leak and is barely noticeable. A trunk from another series III would sort this right out.
  • 3 very small dings, on trunk lid, on roof behind sunroof and on right rear door.
  • 2 scratches on hood
  • Surface rust around windscreen, sanded off, treated with POR 15 but not patched
  • Surface rust on inside bottom of left rear door near the drains. Sanded and treated but not painted or patched.
  • Front seats need to be reupholstered or replaced.
  • Rear seat leather is dry with signs of use and some minor stress cracks on top but they don't pierce the leather and the seats are still intact.
  • There is a small section above the left rear tail light that has some Bondo. This is almost impossible to notice unless you remove the taillight assembly, but I know about it, so you need to know about it.
  • Paint still presents well but is in need of a good polish and wax and, at some point, a re-spray.
  • Left audio channel intermittently crackles.
  • Glove box doesn't lock
  • Small tear on the vinyl (lower, inside) part of the front passenger arm rest.

Still to do:
  • Repair or replace transmission
  • Repair or replace left front fender
  • Address slow oil leak in oil cooler lines
  • Finish touching up rust removal efforts around windshield
  • Finish rust removal at bottom of left side rear door
  • Paintless dent removal for dings on left rear quarter panel, roof and trunk lid
  • Repair early cell phone antenna hole in trunk lid or replace trunk lid (currently plugged)
  • Repaint the car (if desired).
  • Reupholster or replace front seats
  • Have laminate refreshed on dash and console wood
  • Sunroof gasket is old and creeks when the body flexes. Doesn't leak, just creaks.
  • Door handle gaskets (purchased, not installed)
  • LEDs in speedometer and tachometer

More photos available upon request. If you're interested, please send me a private message on this forum.

Thanks in advance,
Rhett

Attached Thumbnails 1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-img_9250.jpg   1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-img_9249.jpg   1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-img_9295.jpg   1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-img_9252.jpg   1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-img_9253.jpg  

1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-img_9256.jpg   1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-img_9274.jpg   1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-img_9278.jpg   1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-img_9286.jpg   1984 XJ6 VDP project for sale-wasie3087.jpg  

Last edited by Rhett; 03-08-2018 at 07:17 PM.