PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

1997 XK8 Convertible 108K miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013 | 09:26 AM
|
Default 1997 XK8 Convertible 108K miles SOLD

SOLD I really think with the right owner and a bit of coin this '97 could be restored to most excellent condition. Right now, I would rate it as fair to good, I think of it like a sexy older lady, a bit worn around the edges, but a thrill to be with, and still turns heads. Here is the rundown on what is an honest evaluation. I have owned the car for just over two years and just bought a newer XKR so this one must go.

Most everything works, it is a daily driver, and it still gets complements at gas stations and traffic lights. The top is in excellent shape and retracts with no problems. The engine uses some oil but not excessive, it just passed emissions test (June 6th 2013) with incredibly low numbers for a car of this age. I get about 26 MPG on the highway, and though it is not the fastest car on the road, it is quicker than most, as you all know.

There are some paint flaws, and it looks like the right front was repaired at some point and the hood poorly re-painted. The front bumper is peeling. The wheels are the revolver style that were chromed at some point and show some corrosion. The headliner needs replaced as it is dirty, though I have not tried to clean it (I have this sourced for $115). The front seats need recovered (also sourced, leather for $650 plus another $300 to install). I have a set of color coordinated neoprene covers on the way that I was going to put on until I could afford to do the leather.

It has some annoying things - rear brake light warning light, I fiddle with the bulb and it goes away. Not sure if it is a wiring problem or socket. Sometimes under hard manual shift I get a transmission error, which always clears after restart, so I pretty much leave it in "drive." I think it is a shifter gate problem and not in the transmission itself. Yes, the cup holder, if opened, does its thing and has to be fiddled with to close.

When I run it daily or several times a week, there is no oil leakage, but when it sits - and the seals dry out I assume - there is a leak. Someone said that British cars are meant to leak.

There is only one key and no manual or records. When I bought it, CarFax showed some 8 or 9 previous owners, all southern California.

Given all of the above, anyone who owns one of these knows the feeling of being surrounded by leather and wood, of peering over the front fender humps and motoring down the road top down. I absolutely love this car, in spite of its quirks, and only am parting with it now because of what I just purchased.

I have it posted locally for $5,000 but will take any reasonable offer. PM me if you would like some better pictures than shown here, let me know what you would like to see, and/or send me your phone number if you would like a call to discuss.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 XK8 Convertible 108K miles-jagfour.jpg   1997 XK8 Convertible 108K miles-jagthree.jpg   1997 XK8 Convertible 108K miles-jagtwo.jpg   1997 XK8 Convertible 108K miles-jagone.jpg  

Last edited by theweeb; 06-26-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2013 | 09:25 PM
|

SOLD to a nice lady in Wyoming.

Last edited by theweeb; 06-26-2013 at 09:38 PM.