PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Sold

FS[Western US]: 2003 XJ Sport Parting

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2003 XJ Sport Parting

Howdy folks -

I purchased this car to grab a few things from, but I really need very, very little of it. Hoping other people can put its parts to good use.

It's '03 XJ Sport. The story is the transmission started having issues, the car was parked, horribly keyed, and then totaled out. It was purchased from auction by someone who intended to fix it, that fell apart, then it ended up in my driveway.

The car will move under its own power, but not for very long. Shifting in D and creeping forward occasionally produces an audible clunk. That said, I was able to drive it onto a flatbed, back it off the flatbed, then motor around my neighborhood. Every single body panel has been thoroughly keyed - whoever did the keying was clearly upset at the owner. Those are the two Big Bad Things.

The car just has normal wear and normal X308 problems - the center armrest is messed up, the leather on the driver's seat is damaged, the bolster on the passenger seat is worn, the sunroof is tweaked. Everything else I have been able to test = switchgear, windows, locks, stereo, etc. - all seems to work fine.

The CEL was on when I got it, so I pulled all the codes:

ABS module produces:
C1095 - Pump motor circuit failure
B1676 - Battery voltage out of range

(The battery had died while the car was at auction, so that would explain the B1676)

OBD module produces:

P0444 - Evap - control valve circuit open
P1688 - CAN link - instrument cluster malfunction
P1642 - CAN link - circuit malfunction
P1260 - Security input
P1000 - Drive cycle incomplete

(Some of these may be a result of trying to start the car with a dead battery, however I have noticed the "System Check" warning does not always appear when turning the key on, so something probably is wrong with it.)

I made two poor quality videos of the car. My cell phone was what was handy - I imagine anyone who wants any additional detail would do better with still photos. I'm sure everyone knows this, but cell phone audio isn't great so mostly what you hear is higher pitched frequencies - the engine sounds very clattery in the video. I assure you, it sounds perfect in person.

The engine running and me pulling the aforementioned codes -

A trip around the interior -

I probably should do a walkaround outside as well, but in summary: It has the standard 18" 5-spoke Sport wheels. The front two have minor curbing, the rears look great. All four Riken 245/40-18 tires are evenly worn, probably 1/3 of the tread remains. The calipers have been painted red, there are crossdrilled rotors front and rear. The pads have a lot of meat on them, so I suspect this stuff was recently done.

I think the grill is aftermarket - it's an R-looking mesh, but has a matching mesh around the lower intake which is clearly aftermarket. Looks nice, though. As I mentioned, every body panel is keyed, some worse than others, but none are usable unless you're painting. The front bumper has a couple minor divots in it - it's usable, but not perfect. The rear bumper I need to keep. Headlights may be spoken for. The pass. side tail light has a scratch, driver's side looks excellent.

Wow, that's a lot of writing. If you need anything, let me know. Ideally I'd like to keep the wheels on it as long as possible to facilitate moving it around, but everything else is available now!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Wow.. someone really was upset. Poor thing.

If the headlights aren't spoken for, I may be interested.

Also, a very odd request, but I would like some sections of the carpet.

I have a rubber mat set, and the carpet heel pads are worn through and need replacing. If I can replace them with Jaguar OEM carpet, it would be a perfect match. I'm not sure what the market value of used carpet is, but I think $20 + shipping would be fair? I'll try and make it worth your 5min with a box cutter. Maybe 2 2ft x 2ft sections..

Thanks!

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 11-06-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 PM

They literally carved a foul word into the decklid, so yeah, it was personal. Also, probably a female owned car. Er...

I'm not opposed to cutting up the carpet, but I'd like to give it a little while to see if someone needs it intact before chopping it up. Your post here is great - if nobody pipes up in a week or two about the entire thing, I'll get to cuttin'.

The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (11-07-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the autodimming mirror still autodim? I need a rearview mirror. And I need a right rear door lock actuator, and I need the round trip computer A/B/Reset button switch. I could also be interested in that leather-covered shift surround.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lugnutty
Does the autodimming mirror still autodim? I need a rearview mirror. And I need a right rear door lock actuator, and I need the round trip computer A/B/Reset button switch. I could also be interested in that leather-covered shift surround.
Sorry to hijack the thread. Noticed you're in Lake in the Hills. I live in Crystal Lake! Cool to find other members out in the far NW burbs.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnutty
I will check the mirror out - it's one thing I have not investigated!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Figured I'd throw this up as it's a nice piece:

Aftermarket mesh grilles, upper and lower. The black (color code PED) factory plastic is in pretty good shape.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Would the lower grille fit an x300? I can't remember if the lower bumper opening changed between the 300 and the 308...

Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 PM

I'm afraid I don't know, but a quick look on the intertubes suggests they are different.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I've come to the same conclusion unfortunately.

Guess I'll just stick with the carpet for now haha

Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there. I'm still interested in the mirror and the other parts I was asking about. PM with a price?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello their i'm interested in the Grill upper and lower if still availabe , and whats the price shipped to 32501 . Thanks you can PM ME .

Old 06-22-2015, 12:14 PM

Howdy folks -

I completely abandoned this thread and this car following some unexpected (but not all bad) life developments but starting last month I got back on the horse, so to speak, and tore this car DOWN.

I sincerely apologize to those folks I left hanging on the matter but helping a family member keep their house took precedence over my wrenching. Whadayagonnado?

Here are some photos of the car as it sits right now. I'll have it for another week then it's getting crushed. There isn't much left on it, but if there is anything you see in these photos that you need, let me know and I'll grab them for you before it's gone. It's pretty much down to body panels and trim, but waste is waste.

I am not looking for money for any of this stuff as it's getting tossed regardless. Depending on what it is I guess there could be some charge for time but my motivation here is saving waste, not making money.