PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[SouthEast]: 2004 XJ8 - reluctantly selling

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default 2004 XJ8 - reluctantly selling

We bought a 2004 XJ8 for my wife about 1 1/2 years ago, maybe a little longer. She has loved the car and it drives and rides amazingly. There are no issues currently but she has the bug for a "new" car. The kids are now teenagers and the amount she has to drive has increased dramatically (play rehearsals, school events etc.).

The car has around 148K miles and looks new inside and out. To be honest, the car shows excellent for selling but if she racks up the miles for another couple of years it will be worth significantly less.

I have:
1) Serviced the transmission including new seals and all new fluid/filter.
2) Changed the differential fluid
3) Installed new spark plugs
4) Changed the fuel filter
5) Had a new headliner installed
6) New discs and rotors, brakes work great (Spare set of rear rotors come with the car, I accidentally double ordered when I did the brakes)
7) Installed new PCV
8) Installed new headlight bulbs
9) Cleaned and re-enforced electrical ground connections
10) Installed new serpentine belt
11) Rotated tires regularly - Michelins with 75% life left in them
12) Two brand new key fobs that work perfectly
13) Special Jaguar power steering additive used, steering is quiet and smooth
14) Previous owner installed new driver front air strut at dealer right before we bought the car.
15) The previous owner kept the car garaged, and its been garage kept since the day we bought it.
-- I work on the cars as a hobby, so surely I am forgetting things I've done...but, that's a starter list.

Issues:
1) There is a mark on the windshield where it looks like something got on the wiper and scratched the glass. It just looks like a water streak to the casual observer and it's only on the passenger side. Not bad enough in my opinion to justify a new windshield.

2) The car dropped low a couple of times last Winter, but lifted up soon after being started. I tightened the upper tube nut on the front passenger air strut (I heard it hiss lightly) and the problem seemed to go away. That may or may not have eliminated the problem. It hasn't dropped ANY in about 7 months, but it has been warm weather...

3) The reason I replaced the fluid/filter and seals in the transmission was because of some rough shifting between what seemed to be 4th and 5th gear. Ironically, servicing the transmission reduced but did not eliminate the rough shift, but changing the spark plugs did eliminate the problem. At least it hasn't happened again for several thousand miles.

I can't think of anything else relevant. The car is awesome but we have to be practical so buying her a relatively new Accord or Camry that she can run up the miles on is just a necessary evil right now.

We are in the Greensboro, NC area

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XJ8 - reluctantly selling-img_0524.jpg   2004 XJ8 - reluctantly selling-img_0528.jpg   2004 XJ8 - reluctantly selling-img_0526.jpg   2004 XJ8 - reluctantly selling-img_0529.jpg  

Last edited by harvest14; 10-19-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 4,293 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Jeff = good luck with the sale - may want to add the asking price

Old 10-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Default Asking price...

Oh yeah, I guess that's important.

My threshold between "buy a newer basic car" and "keep this one and run it into the ground" is around 6K. I thought of putting it on Craigslist for $6,500 and taking slightly lower offers.

I would prefer that someone actually see and drive the car before counter-offering because they would be impressed.

We are in no hurry, so I'll probably leave this as my only advertisement for a few weeks because I'd prefer a "Jaguar" person buy the car. If well maintained this car has many many years left.

If however no one is interested I will go to Autotrader and Craigslist.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, how much?

Old 10-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

6k firm - I went on Autotrader and confirmed 6k is on the low side for that car in that condition.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Well, she hit 150,000 miles day before yesterday. Given that, I'll knock $500 off of the asking price.

Still drives great!