PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.

2004 XJR - 1,779 Miles - For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XJR - 1,779 Miles - For Sale

I have been asked by my stepfather to negotiate the sale of his 2004 Jaguar XJR (390 hp supercharged version). This vehicle has an astounding low 1,779 miles on the odometer. You read this correctly. I couldn't believe it at first either. It was purchased locally and thanks to my stepfather's somewhat eccentric perfectionism, this beauty has spent more time being cared for than driven.

I have never seen a car in more pristine condition. It has never been driven in the rain and has been garaged every day of its existence. (Original unused Jaguar umbrella is still in the trunk!) Its paint is flawless. No scratches, no dents, no dings, no accidents. The interior is likewise in new condition and is without the slightest mark indicating use. The leather upholstery is perfect and is supple. Of course the new car leather aroma is still there.

Factory oil (Castrol) was changed at 1000 miles to Mobil One and changed again at 1500 miles (Mobil One). Jaguar OEM filters were used. Not one to trust anyone with his baby, my stepfather did the changes himself. I know he isn't kidding because I found the receipts for the filters in the car's documentation folder.

Always garaged, this car had the additional benefit of air conditioned shelter for the past 3 years.

When driven, care was taken to run through a complete operational cycle observing full warm-up and varying speeds, avoiding stop-and-go operation to eliminate crankcase and exhaust system condensation and crankcase oil contamination.

The car performs as it did when it left the showroom floor. Every feature functions correctly. The engine is silent and smooth. The handing on the original Pirelli P Zeros is astounding. There are no squeeks or rattles. Acceleration is powerful and effortless and the transmission shifts properly in all ranges.

Photos are available here: http://photobucket.com/JaguarXJR

Vehicle is for sale in Austin, TX. Asking price is $24,950.

Please contact me for any questions you may have! Thank you for reading!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

A time capsule. Why, oh why a black interior though, quel dommage! Maybe a local Jag dealer would be interested but they'd offer nothing for it I bet.

You may laugh but I'd try ebay...

Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

WOW-WEE what a beautiful vehicle!

Good luck to you, your step father. Someone is going to own a magnificent automobile, man I wish it were us!

Old 05-25-2012, 09:53 PM

jeffn: Thanks for the post! I did try the dealer first and it was a bit under what we'd be comfortable with for sure! This is quite a unique situation! I did, however, list it on ebay today, so here's to hoping!

joycesjag: Thanks for the post and the compliment! It is a magnificent car...I trust it will go to a very appreciative home!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

There are many X350 owners on the site who might look at this as the perfect opportunity to upgrade their current situation. Buy this one, sell the old one. Get a 3rd party warranty and it's like being in a new X350 for pennies on the dollar. Black on black is a nice combination.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 PM

Thanks, plums! That was our thinking too - a great opportunity for someone who will love this already well-loved beauty!

Old 05-26-2012, 09:46 AM

The black insides(tho the zeros on the odo offset that!) and the fact I'd have to leave it in a carport 500' from the FL ocean spray precludes me...bloody tempting though.

What might an aftermarket warranty run, say w/AAA or other good company(I had one w/Warranty Gold and they went chap 7 and I got pennies back years later)?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 PM

The interior is more of a dark charcoal than black, but dark nonetheless. I hear you on the carport and ocean problem though! At least you get to enjoy living close to the ocean!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow very nice. I can tell you had it been Platinum Silver with tan or light interior I would take it in a heartbeat. In any event very nice and deifnitely very tempting.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
There are many X350 owners on the site who might look at this as the perfect opportunity to upgrade their current situation. Buy this one, sell the old one. Get a 3rd party warranty and it's like being in a new X350 for pennies on the dollar. Black on black is a nice combination.

Good luck!
Or maybe an X308 owner who wants to upgrade!

I could sell my '03 XJ8 for a little less than 1/2 that, pay for the rest of it in cash and have an almost new car, but there I go dreaming again! LOL

Good luck on the sale. It's a magnificent vehicle for a great price. Worth every penny, I'd guess.

My only concern with older cars with low mileage is that (1) no more warranty (of course, as others have said, there are after-market warranties, probably for about $4k) to cover the things that are often "found" in the first couple of years and 10-20k miles which this car has never reached - so the car is "unproven" so to speak, and (2) I would wonder how much rust there might be in the gas tank, gas lines, etc. that can be caused by sitting around not being used. I would be careful if I were the buyer and would want it checked out very, very closely by a very skilled mechanic. If everything checks out, then get the checkbook out! LOL

Old 05-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default I haven't read the entire thread

But ... it's been just sitting an awfully long time folks.

I gotta assume that all the factory recalls and any upgrades never were done.

So there's some adventure involved in this vehicle.

Not the same thing but I bought a 77 (really manufactured in 79) Maserati back in 1987 with 2,000 miles on it that sat in a museum for half of those years and then was owned by a guy who only washed the thing. Gaskets & seals went rather quickly so I ended up pulling the motor and transaxle for mostly reassembly but I also did some other stuff.

It was nice though that most everything on the car was not worn out.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:11 PM

My feeling is that the almost complete lack of wear and tear in this car might override any consideration of deterioration due to age. Also, the car has been run through full operational cycles regularly. Thankfully, it has not been 'stored' as in a museum situation.

I hope and trust that we will find someone who will appreciate and love this car as much as my stepfather has! Thanks for your replies and thoughts!

Old 05-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

That's an amazing find.

Don't let the naysayers talk down the colour combination. I've got the same on my X-Type and those with taste, will tell you that Black with Black is something special & hard to find. Some people will flat-out refuse to buy a car with Ivory, Cream or any other light colour interior. They age badly & are a pain to keep clean.

I had a pair of Cream leather sofa's a few years back, had to be cleaned & treated every six months.
One night a friend slept on one in his jeans, and left blue stains all over it! Had to get it professionally cleaned for $300.

I will never, ever, ever buy a car with a light coloured interior. But hey, that's just me....

You should also consider advertising it in Europe since it's LHD and given the mileage/condition, a cashed up collector over the pond could also be interested. Maybe in classic car mags, or there is a magazine called Jaguar World Monthly. It's UK based but with readership on the continent as well.

It's amazing, I just bought a 2004 (2005MY) XJR with 92'000 miles on it, I can only imagine what a "brand new" one must be like...

Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome vehicle! I'm drooling as I write. Great color combination, excellent condition & super fast. If only I were in the market I would by this car in a heartbeat. I do eventually want to get an XJR. I only hope that when I'm ready I could find a car like this. This will sell.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:13 PM

What's the ebay url?
Would you be willing to sell to international buyer?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by Cambo351
That's an amazing find.

Don't let the naysayers talk down the colour combination. I've got the same on my X-Type and those with taste, will tell you that Black with Black is something special & hard to find. Some people will flat-out refuse to buy a car with Ivory, Cream or any other light colour interior. They age badly & are a pain to keep clean.

I had a pair of Cream leather sofa's a few years back, had to be cleaned & treated every six months.
One night a friend slept on one in his jeans, and left blue stains all over it! Had to get it professionally cleaned for $300.

I will never, ever, ever buy a car with a light coloured interior. But hey, that's just me....

So those who prefer black interiors prefer sitting in dirt rather than being called upon to clean (!)

8 ')

Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 PM

Looks like your dreams are coming true-Nice sale, I knew fee bay would come through for you!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Here's a link to the ebay ad -- Jaguar : XJR Supercharged Jaguar : XJR Supercharged | eBay

With about 7hrs left, the bids are over $22k -- great going! Someone's going to get a nice car!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

Great car! Hope that the final flurry of bids at closing take it up well over $25K. Also hope that the new owner finds that the old girl needs only coolant and brake system flushes, plus replacement of the time-expired tires (and a visit to a dealer just to double-check on any missed recall notices) to be good to go. Like Staatsof said, low mileage-sitting-still-for-years is not necessarily all for the good. This car looks like a possible national concours winner in JCNA Champion Division Class C14...hint, hint.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Great car! Hope that the final flurry of bids at closing take it up well over $25K. Also hope that the new owner finds that the old girl needs only coolant and brake system flushes, plus replacement of the time-expired tires (and a visit to a dealer just to double-check on any missed recall notices) to be good to go. Like Staatsof said, low mileage-sitting-still-for-years is not necessarily all for the good. This car looks like a possible national concours winner in JCNA Champion Division Class C14...hint, hint.
Is it bad form to quote oneself? Well, as I predicted hours before the fact, the car went for.....wait for it.....$25.5K. Well sold!

Quick Reply: 2004 XJR - 1,779 Miles - For Sale