PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

2010 XFR for sale, w/ XFR-S ECU upgrade, but..... rod bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 XFR for sale, w/ XFR-S ECU upgrade, but..... rod bearings

Hey all,

So I posted something about this under a different name and for some reason the website will not let me reset my password nor will it accept the password from my old account. I think my old name is Asheal or Cas8228, so feel free to search there if you would like more info.

I have a 2010 XFR (ECU "flash tune" for XFR-S or whatever) to supposed 570 HP. Car has 140,000 miles on it and is still in absolutely gorgeous condition. It is my daily driver and has been my work car for almost 6 years now (bought in 2012). I would say of the 140k miles, 120,000 of them are freeway miles as it has been a work car to drive between SD, LA, OC and SF.

The differential was replaced at 90,000 miles under warranty and the entire supercharger assembly and belt system was replaced at 130,000 miles. Uunnnnnnfoooorttttunately, I got the dreaded "rod knock" and Jaguar has let me konw that it is not "fixable" and that an entirely new motor needs to be put in the car.

As a mechanic when I was younger and someone who studied Mechanical Engineering, this sounded absolutely insanely stupid and ridiculous to me but after doing some research including on here, it sounds like that actually is "a thing".

I would really rather not just sell it to a junk yard for $2,000 (about what they are offering) since on ebay the stock 20" XFR wheels go for about that price by themselves. However as a business owner I do not have time to part the car out myself (even though it may come down to that).

So with that said, I have started to put it up online for sale with complete honesty of what is wrong with the car. The car is still drivable, I still drive it every day actually and am just kinda "waiting for it to break" so I can buy my next car. With that said someone will either have to put a used engine in the car, pay the $25,000 Jaguar is asking for an entire new long block (freaking ridiculous, not even the Mercedes CLS63 AMG-S I am buying next will not allow you to fix a rod bearing) or if they have some way of fixing the motor, the car is in beautiful condition and as stated, a lot of the parts are new. Also because of the condition it is in, I am sure it could be parted out for looooots more than I would take an offer for.

Barely any scratches on the paint, in fact, around 80,000 miles I had every panel of the car repainted as well because I loved the car so much and wanted it to look even more new. If Jaguar wasn't so ridiculous and wouldnt allow you to fix their engines instead of creating "throwaway engines" I would be fixing it and still be driving it. I am just very frustrated with Jaguar after this experience.

With that said, there is a small scratch on the door (dumb date opened it into a tree), there is a scratch on the front right bumper from hitting a pot in my garage, and a slight scrape on the rear quarter panel that looks like it can be buffed out. Other than that, the only problems are the back seat vents were dislodged (my breifcase flew into it when I broke hard and knocked it lose, and the rear left speaker is blown.

I took a video of the entire oustide of the car with detailed "voiceover's" as to any scratches or problems, as well as one of the inside. If you are interested please let me know and I can send you the video files so you can get an exact look. Unfortunately they are too large to download here.

If you PM me here and I do not check it in time, feel free to email me at my work email at Roger@techniglove.com and I will send you over the videos of the car and you can make an offer of what you feel is fair.

The car is paid off and as soon as it breaks I will be buying a new CLS63AMG-S, so I may end up just putting this in my office warehouse and parting it out over time. But I will be VERY realistic and accept almost any offer other than the BS salvage yard offer of $2,098 .... I mean come on, the wheels are worth that much .....

Anyways, was such a fun car, god I loved it, with the ECU flash it supposedly runs a 12.4 or something like that and I believe it. Had 5 great years of driving it and loved every bit of that car. I am just so frustrated with my experience with the Jaguar dealerships that I am not willing to go through the aggravation of "figuring it out". Perhaps someone here wants a good deal on a great car and go from there.

Was fun being a jag owner for the last 9 years (had a regular XF before my XFR) and I will definitely miss the brand.

Thanks all

Attached Thumbnails 2010 XFR for sale, w/ XFR-S ECU upgrade,  but..... rod bearings-img_0213.jpg  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:39 PM

Slight bits of metallic shavings in the oil pan, kinda a "rattling" noise that i not steady with the engine. When it first starts up you actually cannot hear anything at all and when the engine is revving at higher RPM's the sound almost goes away entirely.

But, have had 4 different people check it out and all say the same thing. It is just a "matter of time" until it fails.

Any questions, or whatever, fire away!

Old 02-27-2018, 01:55 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I would buy this car in heartbeat for my girlfriend as I can source 60 000miles complete engine( with SC, belts etc for 3000EUR) but car is far away.. let me know if nobody wants it and I will work out container shipping via sea. its would be real pain to see this car parting to pieces..

Last edited by elviukai; 02-27-2018 at 01:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Asheal88 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 05:13 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Shame that such expensive and beautiful cars are so disposable.
You sound already moving on from this money pit, one option was to see what it would run to engine swap from a low-mile wreck. A good recycler would probably know an experienced shop on the cheap side of town and willing to work to have one of these for example side by side with yours for a plug and play swap.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...480739096.html
www.craigslistadsaver.com/view.php?name=CraigslistAdSaver1557

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...479641560.html
www.craigslistadsaver.com/view.php?name=CraigslistAdSaver1556

The following 2 users liked this post by litteredwithfaults:
Asheal88 (02-27-2018), Ipc838 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 02:30 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Asheal88
Hey all,

So I posted something about this under a different name and for some reason the website will not let me reset my password nor will it accept the password from my old account. I think my old name is Asheal or Cas8228, so feel free to search there if you would like more info.

I have a 2010 XFR (ECU "flash tune" for XFR-S or whatever) to supposed 570 HP. Car has 140,000 miles on it and is still in absolutely gorgeous condition. It is my daily driver and has been my work car for almost 6 years now (bought in 2012). I would say of the 140k miles, 120,000 of them are freeway miles as it has been a work car to drive between SD, LA, OC and SF.

The differential was replaced at 90,000 miles under warranty and the entire supercharger assembly and belt system was replaced at 130,000 miles. Uunnnnnnfoooorttttunately, I got the dreaded "rod knock" and Jaguar has let me konw that it is not "fixable" and that an entirely new motor needs to be put in the car.

As a mechanic when I was younger and someone who studied Mechanical Engineering, this sounded absolutely insanely stupid and ridiculous to me but after doing some research including on here, it sounds like that actually is "a thing".

I would really rather not just sell it to a junk yard for $2,000 (about what they are offering) since on ebay the stock 20" XFR wheels go for about that price by themselves. However as a business owner I do not have time to part the car out myself (even though it may come down to that).

So with that said, I have started to put it up online for sale with complete honesty of what is wrong with the car. The car is still drivable, I still drive it every day actually and am just kinda "waiting for it to break" so I can buy my next car. With that said someone will either have to put a used engine in the car, pay the $25,000 Jaguar is asking for an entire new long block (freaking ridiculous, not even the Mercedes CLS63 AMG-S I am buying next will not allow you to fix a rod bearing) or if they have some way of fixing the motor, the car is in beautiful condition and as stated, a lot of the parts are new. Also because of the condition it is in, I am sure it could be parted out for looooots more than I would take an offer for.

Barely any scratches on the paint, in fact, around 80,000 miles I had every panel of the car repainted as well because I loved the car so much and wanted it to look even more new. If Jaguar wasn't so ridiculous and wouldnt allow you to fix their engines instead of creating "throwaway engines" I would be fixing it and still be driving it. I am just very frustrated with Jaguar after this experience.

With that said, there is a small scratch on the door (dumb date opened it into a tree), there is a scratch on the front right bumper from hitting a pot in my garage, and a slight scrape on the rear quarter panel that looks like it can be buffed out. Other than that, the only problems are the back seat vents were dislodged (my breifcase flew into it when I broke hard and knocked it lose, and the rear left speaker is blown.

I took a video of the entire oustide of the car with detailed "voiceover's" as to any scratches or problems, as well as one of the inside. If you are interested please let me know and I can send you the video files so you can get an exact look. Unfortunately they are too large to download here.

If you PM me here and I do not check it in time, feel free to email me at my work email at Roger@techniglove.com and I will send you over the videos of the car and you can make an offer of what you feel is fair.

The car is paid off and as soon as it breaks I will be buying a new CLS63AMG-S, so I may end up just putting this in my office warehouse and parting it out over time. But I will be VERY realistic and accept almost any offer other than the BS salvage yard offer of $2,098 .... I mean come on, the wheels are worth that much .....

Anyways, was such a fun car, god I loved it, with the ECU flash it supposedly runs a 12.4 or something like that and I believe it. Had 5 great years of driving it and loved every bit of that car. I am just so frustrated with my experience with the Jaguar dealerships that I am not willing to go through the aggravation of "figuring it out". Perhaps someone here wants a good deal on a great car and go from there.

Was fun being a jag owner for the last 9 years (had a regular XF before my XFR) and I will definitely miss the brand.

Thanks all
Email sent.

The following users liked this post:
Asheal88 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 03:22 PM

The person above asked me for the videos and they are too large to embed via even my email, so I cannot put them here. I will try to figure out how my illiterate **** can get a video of the sound the motor is making for you to hear.

Three dealers said it is indeed rod knock, it is VERY slight at the moment, several people saying the car may still be drivable for up to 12 more months (which would be funny),

There is also (supposedly) the only person in the United States who rebuilds XFR engines here in the States and he just happens to be literally like 10 minutes from my house. He was recomended to me by this forum actually, but of course now I can't remember his name .... He is in Lake Forrest .... anyways, yeah I have driven an XF/XFR now for 9 years and that CLS63 AMG-S is just calling my name!

Got to drive one with just an ECU flash tune and the damn thing runs a 10.8 out of the box, that is just silly!!! But man have I loved and taken care of my baby Scarlette (that is my XFR's name!)

Here are more pics below, I will try my best to figure out the video problem so you guys can see the inside and outside videos I took as well as the engine noise.. Sorry I am computer illiterate .....

I have a couple offers of ways I can get rid of the car but figured if I could get a good/fair price from someone who will care about it as much as I did/do on this forum, it would be better. Car's are like dogs to me (I have an American Akita), they are very special creatures and should be given love. Hopefully the pics below show I have given mine some good love for being a 2010 with 140k miles on it.

Again, will try to work on the vidoe/audio

Last edited by Asheal88; 02-27-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by litteredwithfaults
Shame that such expensive and beautiful cars are so disposable.
You sound already moving on from this money pit, one option was to see what it would run to engine swap from a low-mile wreck. A good recycler would probably know an experienced shop on the cheap side of town and willing to work to have one of these for example side by side with yours for a plug and play swap.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...480739096.html
www.craigslistadsaver.com/view.php?name=CraigslistAdSaver1557

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...479641560.html
www.craigslistadsaver.com/view.php?name=CraigslistAdSaver1556

Yeah, the "rod knock" sound started a few months ago and since then have been looking at all my options. The funny thing is, the sound hasn't gotten any worse, just remained the same, but now 4 reputable people including an aftermarket Jaguar "Rebuilder" has said it is so. The metalic shavings in the oil also tell the sad, sad story ....

But Jaguar wanted basically $30,000 for a new motor. The Lake Forrest guy said anywhere between 11-$15,000, then the used engine route the the lowest mileage motor I found was about 55,000 miles and they still wanted something like $7,000 for it, plus you figure at least another $5k to put it in. Those links above are interesting though, I will call and see what they say, always good to have more options.

But at the end of the day, it was basically spend 10-$30,000 to get this up and running again (remember have been driving it since the end of 2012), or just admit it had a good run and upgrade cars.

My XFR was a "present" to myself as my company was growing larger and larger. Well since I bought the XFR in Dec 2012 my company has almost doubled in size.

So that CLS63 AMG-S is looking miiiiiiighty damn fine right now, especially with OE tuning only 20 minutes from my house, and for $1,500 will turn the Mercedes into a high 10 second car. That is just absolutely insane ....

So while I will take a look at those links you sent (thank you), part of me is excited to move on with my car life and try out something different as well

Last edited by Asheal88; 02-27-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by elviukai
I would buy this car in heartbeat for my girlfriend as I can source 60 000miles complete engine( with SC, belts etc for 3000EUR) but car is far away.. let me know if nobody wants it and I will work out container shipping via sea. its would be real pain to see this car parting to pieces..
I agree, the car is just in too good of shape to see it parted out or to sit in a junk yard. I couldn't believe the number they were giving me for what "it was worth". I mean look at the damn thing, it is freaking gorgeous! And even though I shouldn't obviously "get on it", it is still FAST AS HELL when I want it to be , rod knock or not and to think that is worth $2,000 is laughable at best.

I actually own a manufacturing company and may be able to help with shipping via sea container freight if nothing works out and you really want to. Would actually be helpful to me as well as I could just have my company ship it and you could give me, say 70% of whatever the shipping company wants to charge you.

Let's see what happens, but that is definitely an option.

As you can see from the pics, not much is needed aesthetically to the car at all

Old 02-27-2018, 03:55 PM

Last but not least, honesty/honor is a HUGE thing to me and after looking at the pictures I noticed the little "dent" on the right side of my furthest right air conditioning vent.

That is the first I have EVER seen that, can't believe I missed it. But no, that is not a "trick of light" looks like someone hit it with something as IT IS an actual dent. Damnit, the only dent I have and I never even saw it until posting it on here.....

Anyways, just an FYI

Old 02-27-2018, 04:06 PM

I have inquired about containers shippings (our country import a LOT OF of US car from copart, IAAI etc moslty new 2015+ wrecked cars) its around 1800USD fee , and they can deliver, but problem delivery from Atlanta to Europe and you located in California-oposite side.

Lets wait for local guys in US, if they will pass we will work something out. dent or chips is normal wear of car

I have witnessed perfectly fine/mint XFR black/london tan that was scraped to pieces. scrapers said it lost documents. I bought most parts from it but still was wery sad. its not like simple xf.. so maybe i will save another xfr. labour is cheap here.

Last edited by elviukai; 02-27-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,391 Posts

You can post your videos on You Tube at no cost.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I PM’d AND emailed u. Still awaiting your response....

Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

upload the videos on Youtube, its super easy.

im curious to hear what the rod knock sounds like

Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I got a response, made an offer, then nothing

Old 03-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
I got a response, made an offer, then nothing
Hahaha I did the same.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:05 PM

Maybe offers was too low even bother to answer?