PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.

Lucas Metering Unit for Jag V12 5 litre quad cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lucas Metering Unit for Jag V12 5 litre quad cam

I have a complete Jaguar V12 prototype 5 litre quad-cam engine - complete except for fuel manifolds etc ...

Can anyone help? I am looking for a Mk1 Lucas metering/distribution unit (as also fitted to 1960s V12 Maseratis and Ferraris) - here are some pictures of the original.

Neville
http://www.xj13.eu

Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Amazing. How many of those were ever screwed together?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:40 AM

Two thoughts:

You may want to post a "wanted" classified here, as well as browse the sales ads:

http://www.race-cars.com/wantbd/wwwboard.htm

The other would be to get in touch with author Paul Skilleter through the JCNA. He would know the old codgers who have bits in the attic. Good hunting!

What are you installing the engine in, by the way? Repro XJ13?

And is that a dry sump pump on the lower right of the engine?

Edit: my bad, I just saw your website link. I'll check it out.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi - although I still haven't confirmed numbers definitely (I'm in touch with Jag Heritage and ex-Jag engineers), Norman Dewis himself tells me that there were six engines built. Of these only five apparently remain. Two are with Jaguar, one is in a replica built for Walter Hill (now back in the UK), one is no more than an empty shell and I have the fifth (a complete engine). It looks at this stage as if my engine was number 3.

I can't think of doing anything other than dropping it into an authentic replica XJ13 - I am working on the best way of doing this as we speak! Sadly, Abbey Panels (who made the original body and supplied the replacement body in 1973) are no more but people like RS Panels in the UK managed to hang on to at least one of the former Abbey Panels craftsmen.

Yes - it looks to me like the dry sump. I am told that Jag installed the oil pumps inside the sump because some cars suffered damage by stones thrown up at Le Mans and they wanted to protect the pumps and pipework etc. Although it means the engine sits no lower than the wet sump version, at least there was a better chance of oil getting where it needs to be ....

As a Jag engineer you will know that Jag tended to use chain drive to the cams - not only in the V12 but also the XK 6-cyl. One feature of the prototype race engine was gear-driven cams that I hope to replicate (it looks to me as if the remnants of gear drive remain in my engine - although they are currently chain driven). Its not going to be an easy build!

Thanks for your interest/advice and keep in touch!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Greetings Neville,

Thanks for the additional detail. I admire your fortitude, and wish you the best with your project!