PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.

Need V12 Engine for 1989 XJS Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Need V12 Engine for 1989 XJS Convertible

Looks like my engine has suffered a dropped valve seat so now I am on the hunt for a new engine.

I live near Bakersfield, CA and am willing to travel. Please contact me if you have a good running 5.3L V12 Engine for sale.

Thank you.
Mark
(661) 889-8293

1989 Jaguar XJS Convertible.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM

I'm still looking for an XJS V12 engine. Please contact me if you have one to offer or know where one is located.
Thanks!
Mark

Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Two on cragslist St. Louis, MO. A couple in this months Hemmings.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Why not convert the car to GM power instead?

Why not just convert the car to GM power instead? The end result will be more reliable, lighter, get 25+mpg, and have more power to boot. Even if you could find a good used V12 (tough) you'll still have all of the same problems that got you here in the first place (overheating issues, ignition problems, leaks, and more). Why go through that again... Don't let the

Check out our website to see what's possible. And yes, a conversion can be California smog legal too. We have an 88 XJSC with 97 Camaro LT1 conversion (325hp and 6 speed manual trans) sitting in the garage here all approved and legal in California. And we've helped many customers do the same thing. And we offer kits now for the latest model LS1 engines as well- WOW.....

Check out the Jaguar Specialties website for more info (the forum moderator prefers I don't put the site address here- Email me for questions, etc.,.: Andrew@JaguarSpecialties.com

Thanks

Andrew

Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Hi Andrew,

I do recognize that using a SBC engine will power the XJS and give cheap, reliable performance but its just not what I want in a Jaguar. I've had many Corvettes in the past and enjoyed them but now they are gone and I want to enjoy my XJS the way is was intended.

I like the V12 and am willing to deal with the issues. I have the skills and knowledge to do all of my own work an will work on my XJS until it is once again a reliable car.

Maybe you have a V12 from one of your conversion customers that I can use? If so, please let me know.

My plan right now is to install a good running engine to get the car back on the road, then I can take my time to rebuild my original engine. I will most likely convert it to 7.0L and possibly add a supercharger. Once that is done I will make the swap.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will keep you in mind if my plans change.

Mark

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties
Why not just convert the car to GM power instead? The end result will be more reliable, lighter, get 25+mpg, and have more power to boot. Even if you could find a good used V12 (tough) you'll still have all of the same problems that got you here in the first place (overheating issues, ignition problems, leaks, and more). Why go through that again... Don't let the

Check out our website to see what's possible. And yes, a conversion can be California smog legal too. We have an 88 XJSC with 97 Camaro LT1 conversion (325hp and 6 speed manual trans) sitting in the garage here all approved and legal in California. And we've helped many customers do the same thing. And we offer kits now for the latest model LS1 engines as well- WOW.....

Check out the Jaguar Specialties website for more info (the forum moderator prefers I don't put the site address here- Email me for questions, etc.,.: Andrew@JaguarSpecialties.com

Thanks

Andrew

Last edited by Safari; 11-11-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Default Converting or not

No problem at all.

You know, we do LS engine conversions in these cars as well- that's not SBC territory but a class by itself. These are FABULOUS engines. Just for fun, have a look through our website, just from an enthusiast's viewpoint- I think you'll get a kick out of it.....

I'm sure a supercharged stroked V12 would be a blast, but at what cost?? And it would never be California legal either- none of the V12 hop-up pieces are good here. And even if you could make it legal, the performance would never match a built LS engines (remember, the Chevy conversions are 350 or so lbs lighter than any V12- what do you think that does for handling?....). So there are other considerations as well

It's good to have all of the info....

Andrew

PS- And if you lose interest in the jag let me know- we're always looking for XJS convertibles for projects....

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 11-11-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Hi Andrew,

I'm looking at your site now. It has a lot of good information and many parts that I can use. I'm sure we will be doing some business with you in the future.

What do you do with the V12 engines that you remove?

Mark

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties
No problem at all.

You know, we do LS engine conversions in these cars as well- that's not SBC territory but a class by itself. These are FABULOUS engines. Just for fun, have a look through our website, just from an enthusiast's viewpoint- I think you'll get a kick out of it.....

I'm sure a supercharged stroked V12 would be a blast, but at what cost?? And it would never be California legal either- none of the V12 hop-up pieces are good here. And even if you could make it legal, the performance would never match a built LS engines (remember, the Chevy conversions are 350 or so lbs lighter than any V12- what do you think that does for handling?....). So there are other considerations as well

It's good to have all of the info....

Andrew

PS- And if you lose interest in the jag let me know- we're always looking for XJS convertibles for projects....

Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Have you talked to member M90Power? He had electrical problems and pulled his V12 in favour of a engine swap.

Jagfixer pointed you at a couple on craigslist and hemmings.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

With the technology and parts and aftermarket services of today the V-12 can be supercharged and still pass Cali. emissions. The V-12 ( along with the XK 6 cylinder ) are the longest manufactured engines in the auto industry and are as reliable as the domestic built ( of Mexican bow ties ) produced for the US market. Sure swaps are done, but the stock V-12 is known for 250K miles before needing rebuilds if maintained properly. Would love to see this V-12 swap and his supercharged engine on the road and in competition with some of these swaps. If he's got the time, money , and know how, go for it. Would love to see a segmented photo build in progress. Have driven my once owned V-12 XJS with small tweaks to over 180mph and sold with over 150K miles and still on road today.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Just a note on being California legal- it's not a matter of whether the car will pass the sniffer test. There's much more to it.

Here in California, all of the parts used on a car that has to pass emissions have to be either OE manufacturer pieces (already emissions approved, and as installed originally in that configuration and on that engine) or approved aftermarket parts. These would be parts where the aftermarket manufacturer goes through a lengthy and expensive certification process to show that the parts, when installed, do not degrade emissions on installation, and will still be good in the future. It's an expensive process, but those are the rules here. A special approval number and a sticker are provided for any part that has been approved through the process (called the "EO" number). We are different than all of the other states this way.

Before testing, the emissions inspector visually checks the car (under the hood, etc.,.) before testing and anything he sees not stock (or not approved aftermarket) aborts the test- he will not even test the car further.

The way the laws are written, any part installed on an emissions regulated car has to fall in those 2 categories, or the car can't be (legally) registered and driven in the state.

And virtually nothing available from the aftermarket for the V12's has been certified for California use.

I wasn't sure if everyone was aware of how things work here, so there it is. And this post is purely just for information. I'm not trying to convince anyone to do or not do anything- just to be aware of the regulations.

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 11-13-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Safari
Looks like my engine has suffered a dropped valve seat so now I am on the hunt for a new engine.

I live near Bakersfield, CA and am willing to travel. Please contact me if you have a good running 5.3L V12 Engine for sale.

Thank you.
Mark
(661) 889-8293

1989 Jaguar XJS Convertible.
Hi. I'm in BC, Canada.
I have a couple of good 5.3 V12 s, one still in my daily driver: 1985 xj12. Shipping might be a bit more, but not bad. Email:
ted_hayward@hotmail.com