PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.

For Sale: 2003 S-Type R, 46K miles, Not operational, selling AS IS, make an offer

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post For Sale: 2003 S-Type R, 46K miles, Not operational, selling AS IS, make an offer

I am finally giving up my beloved 2003 S-Type R, whose supercharger coolant hose failed over six months ago (as documented in a prior thread).

2003 Jaguar S-Type R, 4.2L V8 Supercharged, 6-speed automatic.

Can't find a lower milage 2003 S-Type R. Or any other year's S-Type R for that matter.

It's listed on eBay Motors as well:
Jaguar : S-Type R Sedan 4-Door in Jaguar | eBay Motors

Perfect for anyone mechanically-inclined that can fix the supercharger. If you know how to work around AJ type SC engines, this car is a steal.
The car's interior is in very good condition. The passenger and back seats are in outstanding condition. The exterior has some small blemishes (two very small dents on the hood and one on a door sill). The leaper hood ornament was stolen, unfortunately.

The car's engine is NOT operational. The supercharger coolant and hose assembly has a major leak and would need to be repaired. The battery is also dead, since the car has not ran for over six months. The windshield wipers have been removed and are stored in the trunk. That was done in order for the mechanic to locate the supercharger damage.
The battery was replaced a year ago. The spare tire is in good shape and operational. All the maintenance services were performed prior to the supercharger failing.

The Eaton supercharger should be in good shape. The Woburn Jaguar dealer's mechanic that looked at it, thinks it's the coolant hose and coupler/clamp that need to be replaced. The problem is that according to them, the location of that assembly is tough to get to, so they would need to take the entire engine out to reach it underneath the supercharger.

The cost of the parts that they quoted be was $300-$400. The labor, though is where they tried to get me. They said that it will take them two full days to take out the engine, fix it and put it back. Cost of labor about $6,000! Since then I found couple of true Jaguar experts in the Jaguar Forums that have done this many times and they know the supercharges AJ-type V8 engines inside out. They called BS on the dealer's story. One has a mechanic-level detailed instructions on how to do it in half a day. Their unofficial estimate is about $1,500- $2,000 or if you are doing the work, then it's just the parts' cost, as mentioned above.

PDF on SC removal: STR_supercharger_removal_and_installation.pdf

Great source for Jaguar mechanics: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-guides-41364/

I am not a mechanic and leave in a condo. I do not have the facilities nor the expertise to attempt it. If you are a good mechanic or know one, I think this car is a steal. The engine was running great before the SC's coolant issue. Also the stolen hood ornament is about $100-$150 to replace and even I could do that.

The tires (Firestone Firehawk 245/40R18 and 275/35R18) are almost new and in great shape with less than a 1,000 miles on them. The brake rotors have a film of rust, that can easily be removed once the car is running again, by some very gentle and progressive braking over 30-40 miles.
The car is sold as is. Buyer responsible for vehicle pick-up or shipping. Carfax report is available.

Full payment must be received within 72 hrs after close of auction.

Payment methods accepted
  • Cashier's Check (certified from US or Canadian bank) or money order
  • Cash in person
Engine Specs:
  • Base engine size: 4.2 L
  • Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
  • Cylinders: V8
  • Valves: 32
  • Valve timing: Variable
  • Torque: 408 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm
  • Horsepower: 390 hp @ 6100 rpm
DriveTrain
  • Drive type: rear wheel drive
  • Transmission: 6-speed automatic
DISCLAIMER: the above comments are meant as information. The car has not ran for over six months. It is sold AS IS. I am not making any explicit or implicit warranties on it. You are FULLY responsible for ANY and ALL repairs that may be needed.

Last edited by syncro; 09-23-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Too bad you are in Mass. Great color combo, options and miles. If you were closer to KS I would jump on it.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

did this car sell, or is it still available?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by McJaguar
did this car sell, or is it still available?
It sold...

Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

The car sold - I believe for around $7K