PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Sold

FS[SouthernMidWest]: Supercharger rotor rebuild & re-coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Supercharger rotor rebuild & re-coating

So, after about 2 weeks of research I found a place that will not only rebuild superchargers, but also do rotor re-coating. For those who don't know, the rotors inside the supercharger have a Teflon coating from the factory. The coating serves as a seal basicly, so when they turn they don't have blow by similar to a piston ring and skirting. After aging the rotors will start to flake or when using E85 it eats away at the coating pretty aggresively.OK, so here's the deal, the average price for rotor coating is about 300$ plus shipping. The place I found has a guy in Colorado that only does superchargers, the majority is cobras and lightning's which is the same supercharger used on the STR & XKR (Eaton M-112). These guys have rotors already coated, you send yours in, they ship the new ones out as soon as they get yours, total price...$150 + shipping. The people are quick to respond, very knowledgeable, and very kind. Here's an E-mail they sent with all the prices just in case you need coating and gears timed, snout rebuild, or needle bearing.

Rebuild snout and rotor pack and timing $150.00
Internal parts for snout/rotor pack $149.00 which includes all new snap ring, snout seal, snout front and rear bearings, snout coupler, rotor pack bearings and seals, needles bearings, gasket maker and 8 oz. of supercharger oil.
Coated Rotors $150
Shipping back to you $25.00

That would be the total for everything stated here. You would send it to;
SPINNINGWHEELS-WEST
ATT; MIKE
5490 W. ONTARIO AVE
LITTLETON, CO. 80128

He will get it done as quick as possible. I will send him your request and ask for the time line for delivery back to you. I will let you know when I hear back from you.

Thanks and take care,
Victor and Diane

Hope this helps someone

Old 04-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevlar9281
or when using E85 it eats away at the coating pretty aggresively.
Ummm, huh?

No Jag runs on E85, nor does the fuel pass through the supercharger.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Ummm, huh?

No Jag runs on E85, nor does the fuel pass through the supercharger.
Not trying to be a know it all or anything, because I'm far from it, but Jags aren't the only cars I work on and the post was general in nature aside from the fact that I own one and that's what I'm currently working on. As far as E85, it can be passed through the supercharger due to it low temp evaporative temp, and often not as a fuel source, but rather a coolimg mechanism for the rotor pack. Here is some supporting documentation, not to prove you wrong, more so I didn't sound like an idiot seeing as this was like my third post or so. My aim is not to **** you off. I just want everyone, everywhere to know so that their cars stay running while knowing all of the hidden dangers of certain applications that may promoted more horse for a cheaper price and so forth.

What is E85?

E10 gasoline contains 10% ethanol alcohol and E85 contains 85% ethanol alcohol. Over 10% ethanol content in gasoline will damage conventional engines. Ethanol is hygroscopic (will absorb water), and is an excellent solvent (dissolves materials). While E85 can be hard to find, many choose to run Methanol. The two are similar, but not the same and both method and E85 are used in several applications for race to cool or raise combustibility of the fuel to see instant horsepower gains.

Applications?

Is it safe to spray water methanol injection through my supercharger?

Yes, its safe to spray water methanol injection through your supercharger. We have set up hundreds of systems for customers over the years who are doing just this. Furthermore, you can find countless others on the internet who are doing the same with competitors systems.

Spraying through the supercharger is extremely effective way of cooling off the supercharger and its rotors and housing. So much that if you are familiar with how hot your supercharger is after shutting of the car just after normal driving. If you ever get the opportunity to watch your car dynoed in person. After they finish a pull. Walk over and cautiously place your hand on the supercharger. It will feel warm to the touch and sometimes almost cool. Where as without the water methanol injection, you wouldn't be able to touch it!

I have found this to be a quick and easy way to tell if the water methanol injection has fired off during a run on the dyno before waiting for the data to display on the dyno's computer showing air temps. Try it out for yourself and you'll be surprised how cool your supercharger feels with water methanol injection.

Will it hurt the bearings on my supercharger?

No, the water methanol injection will not hurt your bearings. We have customers who have been running water methanol injection through their positive displacement superchargers, on daily drivers, for years without any issues.

While we can not see inside the supercharger while the methanol is spraying. We can tell from looking at other information and signs. It appears the majority or entirety of the water methanol injection is flashing off instantly once it comes in contact with the hot rotor pack and housing. The water methanol injection is short lived and evaporates to quickly to make its way back and into the bearings.

Will it pit or corrode my supercharger?

No, spraying water methanol injection will not pit or corrode your supercharger. While it's a reasonable and understandable question since the supercharger rotors and housing are made of aluminum. The methanol is too shorted lived and evaporates immediately before it is allowed time to effect the aluminum surfaces. Unlike if you store methanol in a aluminum container where over a period of days and weeks it will eventually corrode and pit the aluminum.

Will it effect the coating on my supercharger?

Yes, for many of the superchargers, those which are not anodized, over time it will remove the thin coating on the rotors. If you were to ever remove the rotor pack after having ran the water methanol injection for a period of time. They will almost look like they have been polished. While the water methanol injection will remove this coating. It has not proven detrimental or effected the performance of the supercharger. This coating is designed to wear and will eventually deteriorate over time regardless if water methanol injection is used.

Also, I'm including a link to Lotustalk and in the discussion is an E85 supercharger injection kit with Dyno sheets and links to the DRS E83 pre-injection kits.

Long story short, alcohol based fuels will eat the coating on supercharger rotors over a period of time. Another thing too, if I remember correctly, I believe Eaton said replace or recoat the rotors every 50,000 miles due to carbon buildup resulting in increased friction causing more resistance while turning and shorter engine / supercharger life due to flaking of coatings and higher bearing temperatures.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...articles_id=93

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160.../topics/284233

Last edited by Kevlar9281; 04-12-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Do you know of anybody that injects E85 or any other fuel through their supercharger -or is this another solution in search of a problem.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What's your stake in this? How are you affiliated w/ this company? Weird to endorse a company so fervently for your "3rd post".

Old 04-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Ive dealt with spinning wheels for thunderbird supercoupe parts. Ive purchased everything from a custom leather interior for my tbird to supercharger pulleys and some dress up items. Victor and Diane are good people.

Recently I had my rotors sent out to be rebuilt and coated and went through magnum powers which you can look up online. They deal with mostly ford supercharged cars as well. So I wouldn't worry about dealing with spinning wheels and like I said another option would be magnum powers. Id expect a pretty long wait time as our rotor packs aren't stocked and I believe something about the backplate is slightly different. At least with my 2004 xjr unit.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Oh and another thing. The 04 and up m112 jag blowers have an abraiadable coating not the Teflon. Magnum powers would put that coating on their rebuilt rotor packs and it costs quite a bit more. Personally the Teflon works good so long as it stays on the rotors. In my experience spinning your blower faster than factory may cause a bit of touchy feely and he Teflon doesn't like that and will flake off where as the other coating is made to wear. And Id avoid putting meth into blower. The outlet is a much better place when dealing with these coatings