PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[Europe]: Twin-Screw kit for AJV8 engines (100 to more than 200 extra HP)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,
sorry for getting on this - so late but I did the compression test (that I have been putting off for so long now) three cyls under 100psi the other 5 are from 110 to 130psi - So it's valve grind time -
Vehicle is a 1999 XJR -
overdriven lower pulley on the supercharger
2.25" twin exhaust
200 cell convertors
re-programmed chip
modified inlet
My questions relate to the blower, - is porting going to reduce the High speed cavitation, if this is a worthwhile exercise, are there pics availavle, on where to remove material? -- Is there a great improvement in porting the heads, or removing material from the head surface. Is there any other issue I should be addressing while the heads are off. Timing chains are to be done at the same time
Cheers,
DC

Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Mmmh, can only think of getting a twin-screw slapped on there mate ;-)

Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM

I knew you were going to say that - It's about ten grand in my country - sorta trying to avoid that sorta outlay - I've got 130,000km's (80,000 mile) with a nikasal bore, is that even advisable - there is no obvious blow-by through the breather. I thought I had seen pics of your heads and inlet runners, that had been modified. What boost do the twin screw run, what RPM are they good for - and how much work is involved and what else needs to be modified.
Thanks for the reply -

Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

It doesn’t matter if your engine has nickasil liners or not when upping the power, actually a good nickasil engine is considered better than one with traditional cast iron sleeves.

I have a stock engine/heads without any porting, only modification are reground cams and the TS kit of course. You can run any boost you like, the TS kit will not be the limiting factor, but for normal fuel/street driving I would say about 20 psi. At this psi level the TS will run only about 12.000 rpm.

The only other thing besides the kit for your specific engine (AJ26) you would be to bore out the TB from 75 to 80mm to allow more air thru, although not massive it will help of course.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:53 AM

Next question is easier - how do I purchase a kit? 1999 XJR 4.0 litre
what would be my cost - possibly smarter to send me a private email.
From the pics of yours and Kennebell web site, it looks like a neat fitting unit.

Cheers,
DC

Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Just let me know your email address, or you can send me a email directly (my email address is listed in post #1 of this thread).

Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Another US twin screw kit...

I'm in!

I wired the funds to Avos today.

Using his advice, I chose to go with the Stage II kit that includes the 90 mm throttle body. I'll set up a monster-sized intake and MAF like he uses.

This is going to be FUN!

It will take a few weeks for the kit to be assembled/ordered/constructed, plus shipping time and installation at Falconworks (independent Jaguar technicians) in Tucson, Arizona.

After the kit arrives, I'll post a few photos of the fancy bits, then some shots after it is installed. During the installation is a good time to polish the aluminum intercooler parts.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff in Tucson:
Cambo (10-13-2012), Panthro (10-25-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Congrats Jeff!!! I am looking forward to your story.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

Me too!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
I'm in!

Using his advice, I chose to go with the Stage II kit that includes the 90 mm throttle body. I'll set up a monster-sized intake and MAF like he uses.

This is going to be FUN!

It will take a few weeks for the kit to be assembled/ordered/constructed, plus shipping time and installation at Falconworks (independent Jaguar technicians) in Tucson, Arizona.

After the kit arrives, I'll post a few photos of the fancy bits, then some shots after it is installed. During the installation is a good time to polish the aluminum intercooler parts.

Let me make a suggestion as far as polishing. I found it vey helpful when working with the polished parts to leave on the thin plastic coating they put on after polishing. If you have any questions regarding the polishing please feel free to contact me.

Name:  011-1.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  173.2 KB

The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (10-15-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
I'm in!

This is going to be FUN!

How exciting !!

Please do a before dyno so we know how much gain you really added. I know more than one person who will very likely get a similar system after yours is installed and working.

I have to admit, I am a bit jealous -but in a good way

Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Mdm
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance of offering this for the 4.2L XF SC

Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Default JgaXkr polishing

Thanks for the polishing tip. That is a beautiful engine bay, sir. =)

I was actually thinking about grinding off the words, 'supercharged' and 'V8'. You proved to me in the photos that there isn't much of a 'ghosting' problem where you are able to tell that the letters used to be there.

I will probably do the letter grinding and polishing myself, then seal it with a clear catalyzed urethane so that the shine remains intact.

My engine bay won't be detailed as far as yours, just because of time and $ limitations for now. I really like those braided hoses.

Awesome!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mdm
Any chance of offering this for the 4.2L XF SC
As soon as the STR is finished, as that kit fill fit also the 4.2 XFR and XJR.

Last edited by avos; 10-15-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

And the X350 XJR too I hope!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Typo, I meant 4.2 XJR... So yes it will come ;-)

Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Default Off we go!

I received the thorough instructions from AVos this morning, after he confirmed that my bank transfer was executed properly. The instructions are quite complete. I will provide them to my independent Jaguar technicians at Falconworks for performing the supercharger installation. The estimated installation time is approximately 19 hours, but that includes removal of the supercharger. I will already have that accomplished with the previously planned engine repair, so the installation time for the new supercharger may be less. The techs at Falconworks tend to be REALLY meticulous, so they may actually take a bit longer than the projected hours.

It is uncommon for a skilled technician, like AVos, to offer up so much advice and product for such a great value when the numbers of sales are more limited in scope. For example, fewer numbers of these supercharger kits will sell as compared to how many sell for Mustang or Camaro owners. I admire his effort and I'm glad that I am able to take part in it. It makes it obvious that he cares about his own investigations into the vehicle's capabilities. He is exactly the kind of person that the Jaguar community needs to enhance the fun of driving and the 'soul value' of our fine vehicles.

Part of my own plan is to drive my 2000 XKR Jaguar until I am a much older man (currently 48 years of age). I tend to keep vehicles for a long time. I also own a Mazda rotary engine pick up truck (1974) with a supercharged, propane-powered 1.3L rotary engine. I used to drive it as a daily vehicle. For times when I carry items or have work done on the XKR, I utilize a 2003 Toyota Tacoma pick up truck. AVos' contribution to the characteristics of my Jaguar XKR will be significant over the years. I enjoy vehicles that are unique and powerful.

Ah, the adventure begins.

So that I don't continue to double-post in this thread and my own installation posts, I will continue to post in that thread at: Jeff in Tucson's supercharger install.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 AM

hi Andre, or anyone who can help
do you know of anyone who can re-program my ECU and trans controller, without the car being present. I am told it is possible, just need to locate the right person. Most dealers have suggested that I use a piggy back unit -- -I will lose a lot of things, like knock sensor not for me) - ECU is Nippondenso - (6/98) and the tans controller is Seimens -
Same car you sent the twinscrew to Australia for -- looking nice,
Cheers,
DC

Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Please remember that I am still using the stock tune for a reason, and I am able to make adjustments. The stock tune is not sharp at all for a stock car so there you have soem room to improvements. Once you start upping the boost, you are going to make use of the reserves build into it. So on a stock car you could get maybe 20rwhp, but once you have upped the boost, the difference becomes much smaller to almost zero, and at a certain point you need to start to retard the ignition even, where on the stock car the gains are with advancing.

The mixture will be addressed with the MAF tune we are working on now for the AJ26 engine, so not much to be gained there, and as said the ignition will be will be right for the boost levels. There is even a small trick to gain more as mentioned in the installation manual, but that is risky, and should only be done with care (i.e. with a water system, or race fuel).

But if you want to do your own tune it will be very costly for the minimum gains, as you need a eddy current dyno, lots of time on it, and also constant temps in the intercooler circuit and be able to measure the knock signals etc etc. You could go for instance for a dastek unichip piggyback system, where you only adjust ignition timing and fuel time based on the original signals, so you still have a working knock system (essential, I do agree there).

Am still trying to get a tune for the transmission (don’t hold your breath here, not sure if it will ever be done), and so far I only know of standalone units. There are 2 systems I know if, one made by a person in Denmark (not sure if that is one that can be bought yet) and one in Germany but that was an expensive one iirc, and the problem then will be that you get “Incorrect part fitted” issues. Then there is a more known standalone controller called PCS TCM-2000, that one could be made to work in our cars, and possibly be programmed in such a way it can mimic the original TCM so you don’t get any errors. Adam699 on our forum is working on this setup.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 AM

I understand your logic - The smartest thing for me to do, would be to get the thing running and dynoed first, read the results and then make some decisions. I have been offered 2 brands of piggy back controllers, both of which control fuel time and spark curve, so I would lose most other functions of the Ecu, - that wont happen on my vehicle. I,m heading to Abu Dabhi this weekend for the formula 1, then get stuck into the car when I get home, heads and chains are on, just need to match up the porting and mount the blower, and intake system
Cheers,
DC

Quick Reply: FS[Europe]: Twin-Screw kit for AJV8 engines (100 to more than 200 extra HP)