PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Valve Body from Ford 5r55N Transmission w/ new Sonnax springs (all 6 of them)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default Valve Body from Ford 5r55N Transmission w/ new Sonnax springs (all 6 of them)

Ford 5r55N Valve Body - $100 shipped w/ Paypal or check/MO ($75 local pickup)

This listing is for a good, working, salvaged valve body from a Ford 5r55N transmission that has had several valve springs upgraded to the Sonnax replacement parts. This valve body is from my mother’s 2002 Lincoln LS that had about 91,000 miles on it when I pulled the valve body myself after I suspected her 4-3 spring had broken, giving her a DTC P0735 code and causing 5th gear to be unavailable. This valve body and the transmission it came from, is also the same transmission found in the 1999-2002 S-type 4.0 models, the 2000-2002 LS and maybe others. Be sure your vehicle has the 5r55N transmission before inquiring, as I do not know for sure unless you have a Jaguar S-type or Lincoln LS from the years above.
When I had removed this 4-3 spring from her VB, it was still in tact, yet proceeded to replace all of the other springs available from Sonnax that a DIYer like me could do w/o any boring/reaming modifications. These springs, as described below, regain some of the units pressure characteristics, correct some aging transmission symptoms, and will last longer (as evidenced by the common 4-3 spring breaking found on various forums).

The reason this particular valve body never made it back into my mother’s LS is because I purchased a used valve body, replaced all of the valve springs that I could (6 of them) and then swapped it with hers, which was then upgraded as described above. I didn’t want her to be without a car while I had her valve body out, so I opted to take my time with a donor part and do an exchange instead.

As for her solution to the P0735 code, it didn’t turn out to be any internal problem with her valve body or the solenoid pack on her car that I also replaced. An overdrive band adjustment bolt on the transmission had come loose, and that was her only issue.

So, her valve body is in perfect working order, and since I had leftover springs from her replacement valve body (they came from Sonnax in quantities of 5, with the exception of the 4-3 spring, which I ordered another one to make a complete ‘upgrade' here), I figured I would replace these parts as well. If you want to swap out your valve body instead of being ‘down’ while trying to diagnose or replace any of the springs listed below, than this is ready to go into your transmission. Listed below are the springs replaced.

56947J-S1 4-3 Pre-Stroke Spring
56947J-S2 PCA Modulator Spring
56947J-S3 TCC Control Spring
56947J-S4 TCC Modulator Spring
56947J-S5 TCC Back Pressure Spring
56947J-S6 Forward Engagement Control Spring

Details of each of the above springs, and what they specifically improve, from Sonnax’s website:

1. 56947J-S1 4-3 Pre-stroke Spring
Complaints of no 4th or 5th gear, codes 734 and/or 735, and solenoid C codes can occur on the 5R55N due to a broken 4-3 pre-stroke valve spring. The 4-3 pre-stroke valve controls the apply and release rate of the intermediate servo and direct clutch, which should be applied in 4th and 5th gear. The Sonnax 4-3 Pre-Stroke Valve Spring 56947J-S1 addresses these complaints. This spring is not used on 5R55W & S units.

Features & Benefits
• Spring is made from chrome-silicon alloy, which allows higher working stresses than typical music wire spring material.
• Spring configuration reduces operating stresses at the critical regulating positions of the valve by 8%.

2. 56947J-S2 Pressure Control A (PCA) Solenoid Modulator Spring
The OEM valve springs are subject to breakage, bending or fatigue failure. Broken portions of the spring can cause the associated valve to stick in either the fully applied or released position. A fatigued spring will not have enough force to fully stroke the valve to the released position. Complaints vary depending upon specific location, but typically indicative of poor line rise, low intermediate clutch pressure, and/or poor 2-3 shift.

3. 56947J-S3 Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Control Spring
Complaints vary depending upon specific location, but typically TCC cycling, burned converter, engine stall, no TCC release

4. 56947J-S4 Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Modulator Spring
Complaints vary depending upon specific location, but typically a harsh TCC apply, or TCC slip on apply.

5. 56947J-S5 Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Back Pressure Spring
Complaints vary depending upon specific location, but typically harsh TCC apply, low line pressure, excess TCC slip, and/or converter lining overheat.

6. 56947J-S6 Forward Engagement Control Spring
Complaints vary depending upon specific location, but typically delayed engagements, and/or burned forward clutch.

I have all receipts for the springs used, as well as documentation (photos) of each spring being removed and replaced. You can see the invoice for the new 4-3 spring in a couple of the pics. See this link for ALL of the pics, (hi-res)

The valve body I am selling has a upper valve body plate with integrated gasket, but it isn’t in good condition as it shows some damage from when I removed the solenoid pack. I recommend a new one or re-using your old one from your VB (if in good condition) New part number is XW4Z-7Z490-AB, about $27 online from a dealer. I have to leave this plate bolted to the VB because the check ***** would come spilling out if I didn’t. It’s easy to replace, just unbolt, lift up, and replace. The check ***** will not come out if you do not tip the VB severely.

The exact same VB is shown in the pictures, you can identify it with the 10/17 that I applied in marker over the red mark on the side. 10/17 was the date that I did the spring install, and also you will notice the pictures are from 10/16.

I'll ship or you can pick up. I'm selling the valve body for $75 plus whatever it costs to ship, which I estimate will be around $20-$25 using FedEX. I'll take paypal, check, or money order. I'll guarantee there is nothing wrong with this VB, I'm that confident in my spring replacement skills.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this still available?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

Yup, sitting right here on my desk as a matter of fact. You may call my cell to discuss since you don't have PM priveleges yet. I'll send you an email with my contact info. If you don't get it, reply here again where I can reach you...2nd email address or something.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Veteran member

sold! thanks jambis, and good luck