PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.

FS[NorthWest]: XJ6 Series III Parts car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJ6 Series III Parts car?

I bought a Series 3 XJ6 online via ebay. Big Mistake!

Anyway, it was sold as a daily driver / a restore project - newly rebuilt engine, when it arrived I was severely disappointed. It's a rust bucket. A parts car

Everywhere a Series 3's are known to have rust, this car has rust or rusted out completely. Yes the engine is newly rebuilt. I drove the car briefly and it was a strong runner - That part I was excited about. But then it sputtered when the car was introduced to a hill. I live on a hill.

I'm suspecting the inertia switch or junk in the gas tank. I'm so disgusted about the situation, I don't even want to bother with it. It does have spark, can't hear the fuel pump when click off after the system is pressurized. That's why I'm thinking it's the inertia switch; or crap in the fuel tank.

The car is all there except the AM/FM tape Player, every bit and piece (except those that rusted away)

Areas of Rust:
The rear valance leading edge (common),
Left hood hinge bracket (common).
Trunk floor near the rear (common)
Front and rear Passengers side or (UK and Japan Drivers Side) A and C pillars (very common)
A/C drain didn't get checked so the Right floor pan has holes.
Rocker panels both sides
Passenger Door bottom (Right Side)
The wood and leather are rough, but with a little TLC they can be brought back to life.
The headliner is sagging too.

All of these parts are available (in the UK) occasionally on eBay or forum sites.
This is why I'm calling it a parts car. A bit too much rust for me; and in the US the replacement sheet metal is a bit too expensive.

I have a line on either a Series 1 SWB body all the sheet metal is there (and yes the A and C pillars have rust) or a nearly complete '86 Series 3 VDP

I say nearly complete because the engine compartment is pretty bare. The interior is chucked in; I mean literally chucked in. So the swap is a good 90 day project.

I have a '88 XJS, '02 XJR-100 & '96 XJ12, '70 1/2 RS Camaro, '96 Impala SS, '88 Cavalier Z24 Convertible which provide me an endless list of projects so I'm not sure if I'm up to taking on such a big project. I'm putting this up for sale, someone out there may need the bits on this car and a new engine for that matter. Or have the time and skill to put this one back to its former glory.

I bought the car for $3025.00 Yes I know... Don't even say it.
Shipping was 1,200.00. Again, yes I am very aware...

Doing the math, I have $4,225.00 into this marvelous example of Brit cars in the mid-west and would like to recoup as much of the investment as I can. So make me an offer

If you’re interested, I can acquire the '86 VDP for an extra $1500.00

If the car were to be parted out, a good 10k could be made if so desired. I'm the kinda of person who is all about putting together, so I have a really hard time parting cars out.

I can provide more pictures upon request
360-790-4553
mark@infosystemsltd.com

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 Series III Parts car?-xj6-1.jpg   XJ6 Series III Parts car?-xj6-2.jpg   XJ6 Series III Parts car?-xj6-5.jpg   XJ6 Series III Parts car?-xj6-11.jpg  

Last edited by MarkLee; 04-17-2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Cleaning up editing