S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a big "fail" in the STR yesterday...boned bad on this one

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Had a big "fail" in the STR yesterday...boned bad on this one

150mph in a 65mph zone in NJ. I got arrested and the car got impounded and it got scratched up really good in some places. I am guessing the court date is not going to turn out to well?

Last edited by 08Z06; 05-15-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Ouch my uncle has a Ferrari F430 Spyder and got clocked doing 170 in a 55 so I'm sure he knows what you are going through. I know he had to drop a good amount on a very good lawyer just to keep his license. Luckily the cop was in the Army like my uncle so thats what kept him from jail and an impound so he got lucky on that.
Good luck hope everything goes well for you. I hope they didnt thrash your car too bad. On a side note how was she handling at 150.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Z06
150mph in a 65mph zone in NJ. I got arrested and the car got impounded and it got scratched up really good in some places. I am guessing the court date is not going to turn out to well?
Ouch, I once got a ticket for 125 in a 55 in New Mexico about 15 years ago by the state police. I was in the Air Force at the time so they didn't arrest me, but I still had to go to court. The car was damaged because of the towing? Keep us posted on your adventure. I assume you are talking about the Jag?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

08Z06, been there done that and still going through "that". Waiting for notice of court date for my mid October 2010 108 mph in a 55 mph zone. This may help: My sister is my attorney and the prosecutor (her friend) are going to work something out. Yep, ya need a traffic violation attorney who practices within the jurisdiction of the court because he personally knows the officers and judges. Don't be surprised there's "some sort of" favorable outcome to this. The attorney will likely instruct you to plead not guilty to the offence and will take it from there. You must forget about it from that point and let it play out. It'll take time cause the attorney will play it out over a long time, giving enough space for all to calm down and sort of forget about the facts of the case. Now...how'd she handle and what were you racing? I did up a Porsche 928 S the other day. He thought it amazing of how I made it look too easy blowing his doors off.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I've no sympathy at all. 150mph? On a public road? You should know better than that. On top of that you got caught -- so where was your concentration at 150mph?
Leedsman.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Z06
Uh yeah, fines and penalties are doubled in a 65mph zone in NJ.

Now will be a good time to sell your STR, because you won't be driving for a while (at least not legally).

Beyond that, since you were arrested, you were charged with something beyond title 39 (traffic statutes). Probably reckless endangerment. On the traffic side, you'll probably catch a 150mph speeding ticket, (it's $4 per mph over 29mph x 2 in the 65 zone). = 680 for the speeding ticket. Then at least reckless driving, which is $230 x 2 = 460, plus court costs. Speeding over 29 mph = 5 points. Reckless driving = 5 points. You will probably be charged with racing on a highway as well, another $460, plus another 5 points.

You lose your license @ 12 points, so you are going to be revoked for at least 90 days, probably more (don't forget all of these are minimum sentences).

So you are looking at about $1500 in traffic fines, plus court costs.

Add to that the criminal charge of reckless endangerment - probably $1500 fine there, and 30 days suspended (if you don't have a record).

Then add the mandatory $300 a year for 3 years NJ DMV Surcharges and the mandatory assigned risk pool insurance for the next 3 years (assuming you don't do anything else), think 4-5k for full coverage with 1k deductable, and yeah you hit the jackpot.

You need to find an attorney NOW. If you're lucky, you can probably get the racing / reckless amended into one charge, plus the speeding and get 10 points, which if you have zero points on your license, will let you keep it, but you will be 1 2 point ticket (any violation) away from losing it for a year. You will still end up with the DMV surcharges and the assigned risk insurance.

Where was this and what were you thinking (or should I say not thinking).

Good luck.

Take care,

George

Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Speed

Many people ask me if I have a Speed Issue (Thrill), Because I have a Mustang GT now, I inform them "NO", speed days, issues have gone, long satisfied times back. Before the Mustang GT, I had 1100 Kawissakee Ninja, my very first bike many Moons ago was a Susukee GS11, another 1100, so I got the speed Demon out of the system years ago, even in my accident, I was not speeding, some guy hit me HARD. So these speeds that every one is talking about here, is NOTHING, compared to the experences I've had. But when I did do those light speed runs, it was well after hours of traffic and danger, I made sure of that cause at those speeds, mistakes are fatal. People think because of the way the GT looks and sounds, that what it's about but it's not, it's just what I like to here and see.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Get a lawyer ASAP, don't post any information or details on the internet here, facebook ect...

I quit with the street playing long ago since my track racing would be affected due to GMs no racing policy in it's contract and having to much to lose now.

Not sure about more modern devices but there is a very good chance if you were clocked on radar that the gun is not caliberated or certified at those speeds. That's where a lawyer comes in, get a good one and your outcome will be much better.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  19.3 KB

150 in a 65mph zone?? OUCH.....Thats gonna hurt some!!

I've done some real crazy stuff at 161mph myself and touch wood, never been caught, but its a lottery as you well know!
Sorry you were caught and you'll have to pay the price buddy

As per qikcat....Lawyer up bigtime and ask to see the gun calibrations for that day ( its worth a shot, but they're switched on to that now and usually they're on the money) but gotta try every trick in the book to lessen the financial and licence outcome.

fingers crossed for you here....

Old 05-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Turn an ugly negative into an eventual positive. Join a car club that does track events. You won't get arrested that way. Perhaps you were done a favor. Hard to see it that way now though.

That being said, I've done 160 on public roads too but not in NJ. Think Nevada in the right locations and you can do that sort of stuff albeit still not legally.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:41 AM

Pic..

The sad thing is, i wasnt going that fast...i do think the gun is def not calibrated for that speed

Last edited by 08Z06; 05-17-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=08Z06;351357
The sad thing is, i wasnt going that fast...i do think the gun is def not calibrated for that speed[/QUOTE]

Uh huh ...

Lawyer up and STFU. I mean that in the nicest way too. Don't be like the Obama admin. and the take down of Bin Laden.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok so ya fugged up and got caught. When ya pick up your impounded car take pics of all the damage. Start documenting everything about the traffic stop. Date, time, weather, traffic conditions, pursuit vehicle, officer and any other fact you can remember.

Were ya racing? If so - dumb ***** - but you already know that. Now some important stuff. What speed device did the arresting officer use and/or rely on. Was it radar hand held, fixed in the patrol car pursuing you or in another patrol car positioned. Was it Laser, sometimes referred to as Lidar. Was the Lidar hand held or tripod mounted. This is important as Lidar must be tripod mounted and only effective/accurate on the oncoming lane if positioned on the shoulder. If memory serves me NJ had almost 5K Lidar moving violations struck a few years ago. It is unreliable to use across multiple lanes even tripod mounted. Referred to as the baloney slice theory.

Get the model number of the device and research on Google. If Lidar has the NJ courts restored Judicial Notice for Lidar.

If traffic court is located in a rural district find out which judge will hear your case. File notice for trial. Delay - delay - delay until the court won't take any more. Spend time in the judges court well before trial and observe how he deals with cases and his attitude to the offender, officer and defendant.

I have fought every moving violation pro se (no lawyer) for 47yrs and only lost once but got a reduced fine/penalty. I have been just as boneheaded as you just were and fortunately never wrecked or injured anyone. Here is what I have learned. I refuse to race anybody, at any time for any reason. I pick my spots and have the best radar/lidar detector money can buy. Around town I drive like the little old man I am and save my depraved need for speed on the open highway for the odd burst where appropriate. I observe what I passed, who is front of me and most importantly who is behind me.

If I do pick up a copper I never use my brakes. I use the transmission to slow me down. Nothing confirms that you were speeding more then sudden brakes lights to the pursuing officer.

This advice is worth exactly what ya paid for it...

Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by searanch
If I do pick up a copper I never use my brakes. I use the transmission to slow me down. Nothing confirms that you were speeding more then sudden brakes lights to the pursuing officer.
If you MUST do this sort of thing I agree with searanch. But think about installing a brake lights off switch for use during your "bursts".

I used to run the path in both direction before taking the plunge to check for cops. But that was on a very good rural clear line of sight road with no entrance/exit possibilities.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 PM

It was window mounted (on the rear i believe), so not sure how accurate that is. It was last tested 5 months ago.. and it was a new jersey state trooper on the turnpike.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

They can always lie about everything once you're in court and the sympathy level is going to be very low given the speed involved.

Do judges ever take the defendants word over that of the officer in these sort of cases?

I've watched 75 or so of these cases while waiting to get my traffic violation reduced to zero points via legal bribery. Yes, bribery is legal here in NJ. You look surprised?

My observation, Christians 0 Lions 75.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
If you MUST do this sort of thing I agree with searanch. But think about installing a brake lights off switch for use during your "bursts".

I used to run the path in both direction before taking the plunge to check for cops. But that was on a very good rural clear line of sight road with no entrance/exit possibilities.
Brake lights or no brake lights, at a buck fifty you're toast.... There is no oh I saw brake lights it's an admission of guilt, and no way you're going to pull the oh I wasn't speeding excuse. At this point it's all about doing damage control, forget trying to get out of it.

I agree with Bob here, no prosecutor / judge is going to be sympathetic to your plight, especially considering in another thread about insurance you mentioned a previous license suspension. They will have your full MVR in front of them...

I hope you weren't a dick or copped an attitude with the Trooper, trust me they will have detailed notes, especially since you have been criminally charged (what was the actual criminal charge btw?).

Take care,

George

Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i dont know what to say at this point, other than beg and plead to the officer in the case. Tell them you had a moment of insanity......you might want to try plea bargaining for community service.......if you record is pretty clean, alot of judges will know this, and will probably be willing to accest this as a bargaining chip. It might be a good idea to contact the officer directly, and arrange a plea deal before court. You are this officers mercy unfortunately, and it is pretty much on you.

Way back when i was caught wheelie-ing past an undercover on a sportbike, i did basically what i just typed. I had a helluva fine, but they knocked the other stuff off. Lets just say i thanked the officer even though the fine was crazy. He was willing to plea bargain before the case was called, expecially since i didnt lawyer up, and i got off with no points but the $$$ fine was pretty steep.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Z06, No reprimands here cause I'm sure by now you feel remorse. Let's not forget the fact that the trooper him/herself broke the law with immunity trying to chase our good forum member Z06 down, and likely had fun doing it, cause it's freakin fun going fast man! This is why we bought these fast cars in the first place! To go fast! Z06 did stop for the trooper thus voluntarily revealed his culpability. Now...Z06, like myself and many others here who with full knowledge of our idocy, who rammed that pedal to the metal and recieved a huge traffic citation, though in some of our cases, criminal, we here now pledge to take our need for speed to the track. Now enough spanking Z06 already tanned butt, and move on! Now...Z06, how did she handle at a buck fifty, were you in "5th" or "Drive"?, did she hit the limiter?, and if so, what were you racing? if ya feel ya need privacy on this one, please feel free to PM me to set up a contact. Peace brother.

Last edited by bfsgross; 05-16-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Oh you probably won't be able to get to those kind of speeds at the track unless it's got a very long straight away. But you'll get going fast enough to thrill.

If you want a track event to go to at the end of June check out Le Belle Machinne di'Italia. Pocono raceway. Jaguars are invited this year. Your car has to be tech inspected ahead of time. I'm pretty sure they'll accept a Jag STR.

Not cheap but way less than jail.

Last edited by Staatsof; 05-16-2011 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (05-16-2011)

Quick Reply: Had a big "fail" in the STR yesterday...boned bad on this one