S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster messages false positive

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster messages false positive

New thread - as previous post titled erratic gauges was not quite right.

Instrument Cluster shows numerous messages & lights when the car is started (Note: some - maybe most - of these warning I suspect are because the car is not finishing the safety routine it goes through at startup - which is why the odometer is not displaying.) All of this reportedly started after a new battery was installed. But, I have also learned that it has had a recent brake job and I suspect there may be more to the story than I've been told. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here is a summary of the lights and messages;

Brake light on
ABS light on
Check engine light on
ABS fault message
EDB fault message
Cannot apply parking brake message
Apply foot and Parking brake message
Brake fluid low message
Constant and consistent beep, beep, beep, etc.
Yellow and Red lights above message center in tach on constant
Speedometer at zero, never moves
Odometer does not display
Engine runs fine, car drives fine.

Actions & Analysis so far;
Hard set battery several times - no difference (remember battery is new and power level checks ok)
Alternator power - checks ok
Fuses - visual check ok
Electronic Parking Brake calibration attempted numerous times - not successful (NOTE: I never hear parking brake motor)
The brake fluid is not low - so at least one message is a false positive, I suspect other messages are only appearing because of one of the false messages coming to the PCM.

Thanks for all the help, past, present, and future.

Last edited by Xcellr8; 05-05-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Just found this and am thinking but don't despair - yet!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Do you know in what order the car conducts the system startup checks? I ask because when the key is first turned, the car begins to check things, some of which must be okay, because there are a few seconds of delay before the messages appear. I will try to get the messages in the order they appear.

I would just start replacing things, such as the Instrument Cluster and the electronic parking brake control module, if I didn't need the dealer to reprogram the salvaged IC because of the anti-theft system.

May still go to the dealer (closest is 90 miles each way) to get their diagnosis.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cluster

Just Pat the dashboard tell the cat how much you love her, let loose a string of profanity directed to Lucas Electronics and then throw 5 one hundred dollar bills out of the window.. I know you were looking for genuine help but i hope this at least made you smile

Originally Posted by Xcellr8
New thread - as previous post titled erratic gauges was not quite right.

Instrument Cluster shows numerous messages & lights when the car is started (Note: some - maybe most - of these warning I suspect are because the car is not finishing the safety routine it goes through at startup - which is why the odometer is not displaying.) All of this reportedly started after a new battery was installed. But, I have also learned that it has had a recent brake job and I suspect there may be more to the story than I've been told. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here is a summary of the lights and messages;

Brake light on
ABS light on
Check engine light on
ABS fault message
EDB fault message
Cannot apply parking brake message
Apply foot and Parking brake message
Brake fluid low message
Constant and consistent beep, beep, beep, etc.
Yellow and Red lights above message center in tach on constant
Speedometer at zero, never moves
Odometer does not display
Engine runs fine, car drives fine.

Actions & Analysis so far;
Hard set battery several times - no difference (remember battery is new and power level checks ok)
Alternator power - checks ok
Fuses - visual check ok
Electronic Parking Brake calibration attempted numerous times - not successful (NOTE: I never hear parking brake motor)
The brake fluid is not low - so at least one message is a false positive, I suspect other messages are only appearing because of one of the false messages coming to the PCM.

Thanks for all the help, past, present, and future.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Lucas not involved.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member

All the lights should come on for a self test at ignition on. Ignoring that, what lights stay on?

Have you swapped fuses and relays around to see if anything changes? If not, do. Swap with care but also only one (or a pair if you've no spare) at a time. Be methodical, make sure you know what you've done. There are 3 fuse boxes to do. Don't bother with the 80A radiator fan fuse.

What OBD tool do you have and what codes does it show? They're cheaper than the other parts you've mentioned.

Have you checked power & especially ground connections? That means disconnecting, cleaning properly (not just a wipe, you need to get sparkly clean metal for body etc), etc.

Have you any non-jag add-ons? They're #1 suspect if the battery is good.

BTW, this is not likely to be easy to find & fix so be in for a tough time.

Last edited by JagV8; 05-07-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by cchristian875
Just Pat the dashboard tell the cat how much you love her, let loose a string of profanity directed to Lucas Electronics and then throw 5 one hundred dollar bills out of the window.. I know you were looking for genuine help but i hope this at least made you smile
YES! It did make me laugh. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Default Solved!!!!

Just an update to report the problem has been located and solved. The anti-lock brake system / dynamic stability control module needed to be replaced. We do not really know why the ABS/DSC control module went bad, though we suspect it had to do with improperly applying jumper cables to the car.

Thank You STEVE PETRY, Jaguar Gold Certified Master Service Technician and Guild winner, of Tom Wood Jaguar in Indianapolis who diagnosised and repaired the S-type. I drove 2 1/2 hours each way to the dealership and it was well worth it. Steve did a fantastic job diagnosising the problem.

Thank Yous also go out to all the forum members who offered great suggestions. What a fantastic resource the forum is.

The following users liked this post:
xjrguy (07-27-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Just an update to report the problem has been located and solved. The anti-lock brake system / dynamic stability control module needed to be replaced. We do not really know why the ABS/DSC control module went bad, though we suspect it had to do with improperly applying jumper cables to the car.

Thank You STEVE PETRY, Jaguar Gold Certified Master Service Technician and Guild winner, of Tom Wood Jaguar in Indianapolis who diagnosised and repaired the S-type. I drove 2 1/2 hours each way to the dealership and it was well worth it. Steve did a fantastic job diagnosising the problem.

Thank Yous also go out to all the forum members who offered great suggestions. What a fantastic resource the forum is.

This is the ebay car that the guy sold for cheap cause he couldn't figure it out right?

Congrats on getting that one up and running!!

Take care,

George

Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
This is the ebay car that the guy sold for cheap cause he couldn't figure it out right?

Congrats on getting that one up and running!!

Take care,

George
Yes, you are correct George. I bought the car on eBay at auction for way below market with know faults. Had hoped to use my mechanical skills and familarity with the Lincoln LS, to get a cheap fix - said plan worked to a T getting the AC working again. Replacing parts is not difficult for me and I'm pretty good at sourcing cheap used parts.

Where this car stopped me was in reading codes and having the compenents communicate with each other. For example, I could replace the instrument cluster, but a replacement would not have communicated with the anti-theft so the car would not start. That wall was actually a blessing because it forced me to the dealer before I had pulled the trigger on too many parts. God knows it would have been a long time before I replaced that ABS/DSC control module. Steve Petry did a great job getting to the bottom of the problem.

Though it has taken me time and money to make the car right, it is still a deal. And, the best news is that I like the car way more than I thought I might. I still can't get over how solid the car feels, and yet how quick and nimble it is. Just a joy to drive.

I've got a supercharged mustang, and now that I know more about the S-type, I can see an R in my future.

Oh, also, thanks again for your help on understanding the intricacies of keys. I did buy a key from the dealer and had them do all the programming. Since I was already there, I just went ahead.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Good to read your problem solved Xcell , thanks for your feedback , this place is a great community

Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Yes, you are correct George. I bought the car on eBay at auction for way below market with know faults. Had hoped to use my mechanical skills and familarity with the Lincoln LS, to get a cheap fix - said plan worked to a T getting the AC working again. Replacing parts is not difficult for me and I'm pretty good at sourcing cheap used parts.

Where this car stopped me was in reading codes and having the compenents communicate with each other. For example, I could replace the instrument cluster, but a replacement would not have communicated with the anti-theft so the car would not start. That wall was actually a blessing because it forced me to the dealer before I had pulled the trigger on too many parts. God knows it would have been a long time before I replaced that ABS/DSC control module. Steve Petry did a great job getting to the bottom of the problem.

Though it has taken me time and money to make the car right, it is still a deal. And, the best news is that I like the car way more than I thought I might. I still can't get over how solid the car feels, and yet how quick and nimble it is. Just a joy to drive.

I've got a supercharged mustang, and now that I know more about the S-type, I can see an R in my future.

Oh, also, thanks again for your help on understanding the intricacies of keys. I did buy a key from the dealer and had them do all the programming. Since I was already there, I just went ahead.
Thank you, Joe, for the plug and kind words. Nothing makes my motor run more than being able to say 'mission accomplished'! Sometimes these networked cars just don't lend themselves to home diagnosis very well. I acknowledge we are not the cheapest for you, but I'll damn sure work hard to be the best. Thanks for coming.

You have a very nice driving car there, and I think the more seat time you get, the more you are gonna like it! So, I will await the post where you tell us the horse got kicked out of the barn and the "R" cat was brought in!!

Thanks again, it was a pleasure working with you, for you.

'till next time..........