S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01,s type abs light and ESC fault?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01,s type abs light and ESC fault?

Hi,my name is Kelly, I am new to this forum.
I own a 2001 4.0 litre Jaguar s type ...
Recent front suspension noises have become unbearable,So I took it into the Jag dealer,of course Both driver side and pass side ,LOWER ball joints,tie rod ends ,and all sway bar mounts and links are worn,They said the upper ball joints are fine. Also in the past few months,I have had the ESC fault light appear? "TRACTION CONTROL" and intermittent ABS light!
Usually ,when I restart the car It all goes away! and is fine until it rains or in this case SNOW's!
I Have much experience with auto's..So I decided to change all the front suspension parts myself. I rented the ball joint press and had good luck pressing them out and then back in.wasnt easy by any means but everything came out nice!

My question is ,'WHEEL BEARINGS" ABS speed sensors are a part of the wheel bearing, so when I removed the bearing ABS Housing did I cause the bearings to fail and tear up the speed sensors?
The car was perfect for a week, After the install of the new parts ,Now it has snowed and I have ABS and ECS fault showing! Is it something I did ,or since it was a previous intermitten problem,is it something else?
I have rechecked my work and all is good and tight!
I am worried the wheel bearings are bad now!
Any thoughts would be great !

THANK YOU..kelly

Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by kellykell
Hi,my name is Kelly, I am new to this forum.
I own a 2001 4.0 litre Jaguar s type ...
Recent front suspension noises have become unbearable,So I took it into the Jag dealer,of course Both driver side and pass side ,LOWER ball joints,tie rod ends ,and all sway bar mounts and links are worn,They said the upper ball joints are fine. Also in the past few months,I have had the ESC fault light appear? "TRACTION CONTROL" and intermittent ABS light!
Usually ,when I restart the car It all goes away! and is fine until it rains or in this case SNOW's!
I Have much experience with auto's..So I decided to change all the front suspension parts myself. I rented the ball joint press and had good luck pressing them out and then back in.wasnt easy by any means but everything came out nice!

My question is ,'WHEEL BEARINGS" ABS speed sensors are a part of the wheel bearing, so when I removed the bearing ABS Housing did I cause the bearings to fail and tear up the speed sensors?
The car was perfect for a week, After the install of the new parts ,Now it has snowed and I have ABS and ECS fault showing! Is it something I did ,or since it was a previous intermitten problem,is it something else?
I have rechecked my work and all is good and tight!
I am worried the wheel bearings are bad now!
Any thoughts would be great !

THANK YOU..kelly
I meant ,,,DSC !

Old 12-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Could be a failing battery. As they fail they still start the engine but the modules give weird faults, just like you have, which clear on a restart. Leave overnight, do not start car, measure voltage. Less than about 12.6V and it's on its way out.

The following users liked this post:
kellykell (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Could be a failing battery. As they fail they still start the engine but the modules give weird faults, just like you have, which clear on a restart. Leave overnight, do not start car, measure voltage. Less than about 12.6V and it's on its way out.
So, I cant check battery voltage,since my meters are at work and its the holidays, but this morning I went on my normal errands and made it one mile before the temp guage pegged the red and overheating engine fault showed along with the BRAKE , ABS ,DSC fault lights all blinking,
So ,I checked the coolant level and it took 3/4 gallon of coolant,
I restarted the engine turned on the heat and let it idle ...temp came right down, ABS light went off, DSC fault went away. and brake light !

Deffenatly. the battery...!! too many "modules" needing full batt power?

Thank's KELLY

oh ,did I mention the dealer just drained the coolant and reinstalled?
obviously they didnt "BURP" the system .

Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

I hope you caught it in time, as the 4.0 does not like overheating!

The following users liked this post:
kellykell (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I hope you caught it in time, as the 4.0 does not like overheating!
Yes , I think so , only went two miles and on the return home,I noticed about 1000 feet from my driveway , added coolant , all lights are off and have been using the car as normal , No warning lights at all...and have since driven 10 plus miles?
Third time this car has shown overheat, I will tell you the engine is not hot. or does it seem to be overheating?
kinda like the ABS light? Just a bad battery?
But it did take 3/4 gallon of coolant!

Thank's kelly