Sponsored by:

DCCV: (Damned!)Coolant Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Default DCCV: (Damned!)Coolant Control Valve

I think the S-Types are near to crossing my "frustration threshold!"

The following pastes from an EXCEL spreadsheet I use to track maintenance actions make it look better than it really is:
Renewed DCCV
10/3/2012
Replaced DCCV with unit removed 10/3/12
11/22/2012
Renewed DCCV with 4-seasons Replacement Valve
12/22/2012

I "renewed" the existing DCCV pre-emptively while I was renewing the radiator due to a crack in the side-tank. No problems with the old valve leaking and Htr/AC was functioning 4.0. Still, there it sits, easy to get at whilst changing the radiator...so I ordered a Four Seasons unit from Rock Auto's 2003 Lincoln LS 3.0L page ~$90. Daughter drove it 6 hrs back to college and, I dunno....'nother 3 WHOLE DAYS! or so....maybe a week... before "Low Coolant" lit again. So she just parked it until I hauled it home via trailer the day before Thanksgiving and determined the new DCCV to be the culprit. Swapped it out for the one I'd removed in October and sent her back to school the following Sunday. This lasted the whole 2 weeks of the remaining term and got her home...and shucks...through at least one and one-half weeks of work-commuting. Got it up on ramps today and found another leaky valve. Meanwhile, Rock had sent in a 4-season's replacement for the previously-failed one.....Just completed the install...gotta get back out and replace the coolant.....Meanwhile, Wifey demonstrated the utility of her new Run-flat Mich's this week on the 05 S-type and after fitting the spare I found this:

So if anyone has one of these (in 18" trim)

available for cheap, let me know!
Curiously, she did the same thing 2 yrs ago...also the right rear (is someone cutting corners too sharply and finding curb?) and I found a replacement on Ebay for $199.95 (free shipping) You'd think DFW would have someone with repair capability? Haven't found 'em yet.../Rant-off

Attached Thumbnails DCCV: (Damned!)Coolant Control Valve-bwfdsyqcwk%7E%24-kgrhqf-hmev1-0-t-rbmjnrnr-e-%7E%7E_12.jpg   DCCV: (Damned!)Coolant Control Valve-img_20121222_140039.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Shoot aholbro, the DCCV and wheel gremlins found you as well as almost every member here. We all have some sort of adverse circumstance plagueing our S-Types. However, a search through most automobiles will certainly prove this to be the case with them too. Sit back in your hot tub spa, as I'm doing now, peering at my 03 STR's new $1250 Mitchelins ($500 deductible + $390 depreciation = I paid for three new tires to replace those slashed on Wednesday (she now rides and sounds like a charm). Placed a bunch of parts on my STR and still will deal with vaccume leaking from the intake manifold next week. Sort through the issues chap. A new vehicle for your wife and daughter will set you back $50k with $525/month payments total for both. Look at it this way, both cars are paid. Now you're no longer a member of the "Book of the Month Club"...congratulations and Merry X-Mas!

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-23-2012 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hehe...thanks Doc...but have no fear, no trades in my near future.....I normally bleed all the use out of them and then give the leavings to charity. Besides..the wife spent all her money on a 2007 Toyota Tundra for the middle child....I'm just frustrated b/c the 03 "ustabee" very reliable but lately the coolant sys is acting like me when I hit 50....just keeps leaking...leaking.....leaking...worst part - all coolant parts are relatively new! Worse still, instead of fiddle-farting around with niggling leaks, I should be busy fitting my Christmas present to the XJ - got me one of those nifty hoodliners like I failed to win in either the S-Type or XJ drawings!

Sorry to hear about your vandalism. Glad you are getting a bit of a settlement.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

What a bummer Zane. My guess is that you are like a NASCAR pit crew on replacing the DCCV assembly by now, zip zip zip......

aholbro1 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Hehe...thanks Doc...but have no fear, no trades in my near future.....I normally bleed all the use out of them and then give the leavings to charity. Besides..the wife spent all her money on a 2007 Toyota Tundra for the middle child....I'm just frustrated b/c the 03 "ustabee" very reliable but lately the coolant sys is acting like me when I hit 50....just keeps leaking...leaking.....leaking...worst part - all coolant parts are relatively new! Worse still, instead of fiddle-farting around with niggling leaks, I should be busy fitting my Christmas present to the XJ - got me one of those nifty hoodliners like I failed to win in either the S-Type or XJ drawings!

Sorry to hear about your vandalism. Glad you are getting a bit of a settlement.
LOL! Zane, that is got to be the funniest ways I've heard someone put "it". Cheers!

David_h (04-06-2014)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Zane,

DCCV quality control has always been an issue and apparently always will be. Witness your experience of faulty parts right out of the box. The good news is that it is a relatively inexpensive part now due to being available from multiple sources since it is in essence a Ford part....

But I would be willing to pay a bit more if some outfit could build one from materials that are not prone to failure after such a short time. Probably shouldn't type this for fear of laying down a jinx, but our 2005 S-Type is still purring along with its factory DCCV at 73,800 miles. I perform the white-paper-napkin wipe test every weekend along with the usual oil/fluids/tire pressure checks, but I realize that particular test will yield results only if our DCCV fails externally, not internally. As the folks from jaguarclimatecontrols.com told me a year or so ago, it's not IF but WHEN the DCCV fails. All we can do is monitor it as best we can....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
aholbro1 (12-23-2012), bfsgross (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
What a bummer Zane. My guess is that you are like a NASCAR pit crew on replacing the DCCV assembly by now, zip zip zip......
Still not as quick as you, my friend - of that, I'm sure. But have done it three different ways, now. Rad and exp tank out, Expansion tank out, and this last time, only drain the rad and pull the valve - some coolant loss from the valve hosiery. Tools are the key - Don't try this at home without one of these:
Amazon.com: OTC 4525 Cable-Type Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 4525 Cable-Type Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers: Automotive

I was overcome by events but I got a catalog from ATS and meant to order a couple of items from them in early Dec. for stocking stuffers but didn't....too bad for me because this is one of the items and would've been very handy for draining the rad: Aircraft Tool Supply | FORM A FUNNEL (AUTOMOTIVE) | 18609
You know...the large hole molded into the under-tray attached to the bumper fascia - the one that's an ex-wife to remove and a real bitter ex-wife to reinstall - yeah...don't quite align with rad drain-**** drippings...still some spillage and a work-around beat R&R of that pc! Useful tip: THose htr. hose quick-connects actually DO work as quick-connects if you action them every 3 weeks vs. once-in-a-coon's age. Next problem will no-doubt be failure of the $60+ hose that goes to the bottom of the valve....since you twist/kink that one to pull the valve up top where you can unlatch its hose-clamp.

Originally Posted by Jon89
Zane,

Probably shouldn't type this for fear of laying down a jinx, but our 2005 S-Type is still purring along with its factory DCCV at 73,800 miles. I perform the white-paper-napkin wipe test every weekend along with the usual oil/fluids/tire pressure checks, but I realize that particular test will yield results only if our DCCV fails externally, not internally. As the folks from jaguarclimatecontrols.com told me a year or so ago, it's not IF but WHEN the DCCV fails. All we can do is monitor it as best we can....
Jon, I guess I haven't grounds for complaint in the big picture. We acquired the 03 in 08 with 66k on it. No problems with DCCV til I changed it pre-emptively at 102k. No evidence it was changed prior, but it may've been. 05 acquired in 09 with 25k on it is now at 81k with no valve problems (but looks like we crack a wheel every 2 yrs!) But you are correct. I was eng. mgr for a German-owned HVAC co. (Euro's are big on WV systems vs. Blend-air) and our working concept was "All WV's leak, sometimes not externally, but ALL leak either in or out or both."

joycesjag (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Default Sticky

Still not as quick as you, my friend - of that, I'm sure. But have done it three different ways, now. Rad and exp tank out, Expansion tank out, and this last time, only drain the rad and pull the valve - some coolant loss from the valve hosiery. Tools are the key - Don't try this at home without one of these: Amazon.com: OTC 4525 Cable-Type Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers: Automotive

I was overcome by events but I got a catalog from ATS and meant to order a couple of items from them in early Dec. for stocking stuffers but didn't....too bad for me because this is one of the items and would've been very handy for draining the rad: Aircraft Tool Supply | FORM A FUNNEL (AUTOMOTIVE) | 18609
You know...the large hole molded into the under-tray attached to the bumper fascia - the one that's an ex-wife to remove and a real bitter ex-wife to reinstall - yeah...don't quite align with rad drain-**** drippings...still some spillage and a work-around beat R&R of that pc! Useful tip: THose htr. hose quick-connects actually DO work as quick-connects if you action them every 3 weeks vs. once-in-a-coon's age. Next problem will no-doubt be failure of the $60+ hose that goes to the bottom of the valve....since you twist/kink that one to pull the valve up top where you can unlatch its hose-clamp.

Jon, I guess I haven't grounds for complaint in the big picture. We acquired the 03 in 08 with 66k on it. No problems with DCCV til I changed it pre-emptively at 102k. No evidence it was changed prior, but it may've been. 05 acquired in 09 with 25k on it is now at 81k with no valve problems (but looks like we crack a wheel every 2 yrs!) But you are correct. I was eng. mgr for a German-owned HVAC co. (Euro's are big on WV systems vs. Blend-air) and our working concept was "All WV's leak, sometimes not externally, but ALL leak either in or out or both."
DCCV swap should be a sticky...if not yet?

Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

AS I recall they're Bosch parts. BMW owners have DCCV problems, too. Also made by Bosch...

Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Still not as quick as you, my friend - of that, I'm sure. But have done it three different ways, now. Rad and exp tank out, Expansion tank out, and this last time, only drain the rad and pull the valve - some coolant loss from the valve hosiery. Tools are the key - Don't try this at home without one of these: Amazon.com: OTC 4525 Cable-Type Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers: Automotive

Zane thanks for the heads up on the tools mentioned. Theres always a good excuse to purchase more tools that you will (or should) use 1 time.

I am with Jon on the original DCCV (jinxed myself), we will see whose craps out first. Although today after church I walked past ours and caught a whiff of coolant, but alas a simple fix, it was the hose to the TB, I just moved the clamp to a different position.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
DCCV swap should be a sticky...if not yet?
Yes, it is in here somewhere...I've done it different ways due to the other parts I was changing at the same time.

Edit: Here's the sticky: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-source-27185/

Last edited by aholbro1; 12-24-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a shame. Just purchased my 2006 s-type. I avoided the 05 because of the supposed DCCV issues. Did they resolve this for 06? My AC has the annoying servo motor gurgling sound after ignition shutoff but other than that it works great.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Received 6,319 Likes on 5,506 Posts

AFAIK the DCCV was the same up to the end of the S Types life.