S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a DIY job or best to have fitted?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a DIY job or best to have fitted?

Hi brought the rear connectivity kit for my S Type 2004, headrests with dvd screens & all the wirering looms, Instructions are not that clear where everything connects in too, has any body done this or is it best to have them fitted.
Regards Steve
Jaguar S Type 4.2 SE V8:2004

Old 02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by bens
Hi brought the rear connectivity kit for my S Type 2004, headrests with dvd screens & all the wirering looms, Instructions are not that clear where everything connects in too, has any body done this or is it best to have them fitted.
Regards Steve
Jaguar S Type 4.2 SE V8:2004
A LOT of us have done it, including me.

Read below.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...r+video+system

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Take care,

George

Old 02-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks, still wish the Instructions that came with it were a bit clearer with more txt, and color coded, still unsure about takeing the back of the leather seats apart.
Regards Steve

Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, still wish the Instructions that came with it were a bit clearer with more txt, and color coded, still unsure about takeing the back of the leather seats apart.
Regards Steve
Keep reading... I have seat pictures in there including the clips.

Do your seats look like this?

If so, it's easy. Sit in the back seat. Slip your fingers along the top edge of that back panel, and push the entire thing to the left. You will feel it release, then the top will be loose. There is actually a cord holding it on but the top of the seat back will be exposed. You will have plenty of room to run / connect your wiring etc.

Some S-Types like Jeff Osworth's old one don't have that separate panel, and for those you have to fish the wire till it come out of the bottom of the seat. I think he used a coaxial cable like the kind you use for a tv.

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Is this a DIY job or best to have fitted?-img_0497.jpg  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Seats look the same mine does not have the pipeing and no power headrest's, do you have to remove the seat backs?.
Regards Steve

Old 02-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Seats look the same mine does not have the pipeing and no power headrest's, do you have to remove the seat backs?.
Regards Steve
The new headrests with the video screens in them have the piping. (If you got the Jaguar Rear Video connectivity system). My originals did not, and I don't have power headrests either. - Which means with the rear video system there is no way to adjust the headrest to sit above flush with the seatback. However this is not a big deal because the headrest with the screen is so much larger than the original was.

You don't have to remove the seatback completely, you have to unfasten it from the top to give you access to feed the cable through, and back into the center console to attach to the panel.

Do what I said with the seatback and it will make sense.

Btw the original Jag system doesn't have a dvd player. It plays movies / music / pics off of SD cards.

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
bens (02-06-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanks George, will have a go, did you find the Jaguar Instrutions not to clear, just pictures but no txt.
regards Steve

Old 02-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks George, will have a go, did you find the Jaguar Instrutions not to clear, just pictures but no txt.
regards Steve
LOL well to be honest, I didn't even look at them.

I'm an electrical engineer and have been doing this for years. I also have had the S-Type completely apart to install a completely aftermarket audio system. So I know how everything comes apart.

I just laid the looms out on my work bench and went to work.

I did things a bit differently, I mounted the control panel inside the center console, and wired it to my in dash dvd/nav head unit as the video source.

If you have any questions along the way, let me know.

BTW you DON'T have to remove the ashtray etc to get power. You can tap it from the power point in the center console. The connector is the same. So you can use that Y-Adapter to do it there instead of behind the ashtray, so that saves some dissasembly of the car. There's room to tuck the wires if you're careful.

Take care,

George

Old 02-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey George,

I've read through the other threads on the install of the DVD system and have read before how you used the rear power point in the center console. I'm guessing that if you do, that power plug will no longer work as it's now disconnected or does it plug inline with the power point keeping it live?

If it's no longer usable, I'm wanting to plug into the front power point under the gear shifter. I'm curious though, how difficult is it to remove the wood trim around the gear shifter? I'm a bit paranoid that I'll break it to get to the power point underneath.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Old 02-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Hey George,

I've read through the other threads on the install of the DVD system and have read before how you used the rear power point in the center console. I'm guessing that if you do, that power plug will no longer work as it's now disconnected or does it plug inline with the power point keeping it live?

If it's no longer usable, I'm wanting to plug into the front power point under the gear shifter. I'm curious though, how difficult is it to remove the wood trim around the gear shifter? I'm a bit paranoid that I'll break it to get to the power point underneath.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Rob,

You can keep the rear power point.
You see that Y adapter with the 3 pronged plugs? Basically you pull the connector off the back of the power point, plug that in its place, plug one side back into the power point, and the other end powers the video system.

Getting to the front is easy. The gear shift wood just pulls up and off. Open the ashtray and feel the front edge, pull up from there.

What's a pain is getting the radio, HVAC control etc out, and then removing the ashtray to get to the front power point.

The trim around everything just pulls off after you remove the gearshift surround.

Then there are 2 torx t20 screws holding the switch panel that has the hazzard / lock / heated switch seat button panel in. Remove them, pull the panel out, disconnect the wiring.

Then There are 4 torx t30 (if i remember right) screws holding the radio / climate control etc in. Unscrew the shift knob and put it to the side, then pull all that out, and disconnect all the harnesses.

Put a towel over your center console - that plastic likes to scratch, and the center stack brackets are somewhat sharp and unforgiving metal.

Also a good magnetic screwdriver will save you the agida of dropping one of those torx bolts. I'd grab them with a small needle nose plier or something just to make sure.

Then, look at the chrome lip on the front of the ashtray with the astray open, you will see two black dots. Use a small flathead screwdriver and pry them up and off (the bolts are underneath). Remove the two screws underneath and then the ashtray will come out.

Then you can get to the front power point.

If you ask me it's a lot of work for nothing, as the rear one will work fine

Take care,

George

Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Yes, George is correct, you can plug in the power tap (splitter) into the power point under the console. The power plugs are all the same and that allows you to tap into anything. When I put in the Satellite radio, there was the same kind of power plug in the trunk for the tuner module..

George, I have a question for ya. I was going to PM but figured the answer may help others...

Do you know what pin / wire is power and what pin is ground? I kept the Satellite radio out of the S since it is a combination FM / line out add on tuner. When I bought it, it was on and active. I think the original owner probably bought a "lifetime" subscription or Sirius coded it that way... So, the plan is to get a PIE aux input for the Grand Caravan and install it in there. Just need to know what wire is power and what wire is ground.

BTW, I notice that the power tap I have for the video system is a two wire tap yet the Sat radio is three wires... Huh?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Yes, George is correct, you can plug in the power tap (splitter) into the power point under the console. The power plugs are all the same and that allows you to tap into anything. When I put in the Satellite radio, there was the same kind of power plug in the trunk for the tuner module..

George, I have a question for ya. I was going to PM but figured the answer may help others...

Do you know what pin / wire is power and what pin is ground? I kept the Satellite radio out of the S since it is a combination FM / line out add on tuner. When I bought it, it was on and active. I think the original owner probably bought a "lifetime" subscription or Sirius coded it that way... So, the plan is to get a PIE aux input for the Grand Caravan and install it in there. Just need to know what wire is power and what wire is ground.

BTW, I notice that the power tap I have for the video system is a two wire tap yet the Sat radio is three wires... Huh?
Jeff,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Sat radio uses constant and switched power Jeff.

See the diagram below, Sat radio connects to the rear accessory connector.

Take care,

George

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rearacc.pdf (73.6 KB, 426 views)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Still getting my head round the wireing, laid it out like george said fitted some of the looms together, the AV pannel in the rear consol has a green din plug on the side what plugs in to that, and checked youtube is there not a video to follow this install?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Still getting my head round the wireing, laid it out like george said fitted some of the looms together, the AV pannel in the rear consol has a green din plug on the side what plugs in to that, and checked youtube is there not a video to follow this install?
The only plug on my A/V panel was in the back.

Basically the main loom gets power from the splitter, then through a filter.

Then it plugs into the a/v panel, then the monitors plug into the little round plugs.

The end.

Post pics of your setup, I want to make sure the USA version and the ROW version are the same.

Take care,

George

Old 02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Default Pictures I hope!

Hope this works, first time:

Attached Thumbnails Is this a DIY job or best to have fitted?-230.jpg   Is this a DIY job or best to have fitted?-232.jpg   Is this a DIY job or best to have fitted?-231.jpg  
Old 02-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hope this works, first time:
That's remarkably different that ours.

Ours looks similar, but the control panel in the rear has different plugs, AND we don't have the centralized box.

More pics needed... Front of that box, as well as the screen connectors.

And any other parts.

I think I the see the screen connectors there, but there are definitely differences.

Take care,

George

Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by androulakis
That's remarkably different that ours.

Ours looks similar, but the control panel in the rear has different plugs, AND we don't have the centralized box.

More pics needed... Front of that box, as well as the screen connectors.

And any other parts.

I think I the see the screen connectors there, but there are definitely differences.

Take care,

George
Hey George... I still have the US X Type kit that I bought. I'm waiting for it to be warm out before I start fabricating the mini-van system.. So, I have all the wiring there if you need pictures to compare..

Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Jeff,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Sat radio uses constant and switched power Jeff.

See the diagram below, Sat radio connects to the rear accessory connector.

Take care,

George
OK.. I looked at the wiring diagram.. I kind of get it.. The letters above what represents the "wires", are they the colors? Man, do I feel like a dork.. I meant to hook up a tester to see what terminal on the car was "hot" but forgot to...

The one harness has a yellow, black, and red wire.. I'm guessing the yellow is +, the black is ground, and the red is the power on trigger.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Veteran member

Here is the fitting instructions for the UK rear entertainment system.

Maybe this will help, George.

Figured I'd throw this up.. Payback for my little off topic questions???

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
UK_RearVideoInstall.pdf (1.74 MB, 306 views)
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Here is the fitting instructions for the UK rear entertainment system.

Maybe this will help, George.

Figured I'd throw this up.. Payback for my little off topic questions???
That's awesome, and interesting.

Seems like the same / similar system laid out differently.

Now I'm really curious to see the control panel and the a/v jacks. I love the fact that it has a fold up cover (concealing the a/v jacks - that's 90% of the reason I mounted my control panel in an alternate location), but did you notice the lack of a remote and the RCA splitters?

I have a feeling this is just a direct a/v input into each screen, and the splitters are for the screens to play the same source.

I really want to see pics of this now. Install seems similar. All plug and play.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: Is this a DIY job or best to have fitted?