S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lens discoloration, cheap solution found

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lens discoloration, cheap solution found

My first Jag was a 2000 Stype 3.0. I was disappointed that after about five years the headlamp assemblies discolored and became white. I ended up replacing the assemblies at about $370 each. I now have a 2005 Stype STR and see the same issue! I didn't want to buy new headlamps (now $900 each) so I researched cleaners. I found some from $100 to $50. Then I found this for $10. I thought what the $ell. I don't work for them or allifidated with them. I randomally bought this stuff.
After about 6 applications on each assembly I was impressed with the results and posted the pictures! It hasn't removed all of the white but the surface is now smooth, no more rough feel. But remember I applied it 6-7 times. You put on like car polish and buff off. I did use the sand paper on some of the rough spots (with the lotion). Just thought I'd pass on. I noticed a huge difference.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...p?albumid=1656

Stuff on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Last edited by chrislynn5; 07-31-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

As a related question, has anyone tried any type of a film protection system on these lenses?

Is that even a good idea or legal?

Bob S.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris,

Yes. Those headlights restoration kits DO WORK and work well for yellowing, oxidation, etc... on headlamps which tends to occur from over exposure to direct sunlight. If you car isn't garaged you will eventually see that issue rear it's ugly head. You can find them at any auto goods store.

I had someone do it for me as I was getting discorloration around the edges and it worked to perfection.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I actually, in an prevoius life, was an automotive lighting engineer. I worked for OSRAM Sylvania. I did lighting for about 7 years. I worked on many programs as a quality engineer, i.e. the Viper, NS Mini Van, etc.

It seems that some materials discolor sooner than others. There are some headlamp lens systems that seem to never discolor, regardless of UV pentration, etc.
The Jaguar headlamps, not sure who makes them (I never really looked to them), maybe Bosch, OSRAM, etc seem to discolor/damage faster than most. So do Volvo. They're bad. The really should coat them approperiately and use a plastic that isn't susceptible to UV, etc. Also the sheer heat produced by the headlight in conjuction with the UV omitted from the source, also affect the assembly.

fyi, my cars are always garaged, but are out while at work for about 7 hours a day.

Last edited by chrislynn5; 07-31-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hey, how about contacting Dave at Innovative Detailing ? He recently posted a thread about before / after pics of a VW Jetta .
Before : It was the dullest headlamps I saw
After : Factory new
Take a look , it is worth

Old 08-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3M restoration kit does work

Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The eBay link says, "Not recommended for Jaguar" ... among others. Why would that be?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If the 3m kit includes those tiny sandpaper discs that you stick onto a rotary drill, I wouldn't use them. A better, less damaging way to to is to get 600 grit, 100 grit and 1500 grit sandpaper. Do a wet sand with the 600 until smooth. Then do the 1000 and then the 1500. Get a and put one of those buffing wheels on it. apply some luquid polishing compound to it and buff for a few seconds. Follow that up with some high gloss car wax and your car will be done. No special equipment needed.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I am having a hell of a time with my headlights. Have read most threads I could find. Mine is not the yellowing per se, it is the spider webbing/pitting towards the top. It JUST recently started to become noticible. I have used a bunch of products, the Rain-X (comes with high grit sandpaper, and wet sand with the 3 stage product), Meguire's PlastiX and some other crap, Blue Magic I believe.

Honestly I think the Rain X stuff made it worse in the long run. Looked great after they were done but then the compound must have worn off and it seems as though the plastic is "drying up" or something. Also, it seems in spots that it may have taken a "protective layer off". Anyone have similar experiences? Looks very clear at night, just in the sunlight. Driving me freaking crazy.....

Name:  21-1.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  64.4 KB
Name:  22-1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  97.2 KB

Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Have you tried SoftScrub, a bathroom cleanser product that contains bleach and is fairly gritty? My wife's previous 2000 Lexus RX300 had headlight lenses that would begin to yellow if you just looked at them funny. I found out about SoftScrub on one of the Lexus forums and it always did the trick. Had to use it on those headlights two or three times a year to keep them clear. The bleach, grit, and a strong dose of elbow grease with a wet rag combined to do the job just fine. Keep in mind that it takes a lot of arm strength for this to work, so it isn't for everyone. But it's cheap and it always did the job for me with that vehicle. Fortunately, her 2004 Lexus RX330 doesn't suffer from that problem. Neither does her 2005 S-Type. And my 1999 Ram headlights are still crystal clear as well....

Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I did mine twice and the second time was a charm and worked well. I was going to put a procedure together but forgot. Turtle Wax headlight cleaner is what I used the second time and it worked great. I used my cordless drill with a pad to clean and polish the lens. I also used painters blue tape to cover the body paint on the car so not to damage it. You can get the Turtle Wax at any AutoZone http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search for $9.99. Good Luck!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Just to confirm, there is NO "protective layer" on these lenses??? They are one solid piece? I swear, if you look at my first picture it almost seems as though by using abrasive methods it actually took off the shinyness in some areas almost like there was a clear coat or hard plastic film infused on the outside that peeled or was removed.

Dont know if this makes sense, but it sure as hell looks like it after examiniation.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

No cover on my 2000 s-type Attached is a photo

Attached Thumbnails Lens discoloration, cheap solution found-img_0099aw.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Have you tried SoftScrub, a bathroom cleanser product that contains bleach and is fairly gritty? My wife's previous 2000 Lexus RX300 had headlight lenses that would begin to yellow if you just looked at them funny. I found out about SoftScrub on one of the Lexus forums and it always did the trick. Had to use it on those headlights two or three times a year to keep them clear. The bleach, grit, and a strong dose of elbow grease with a wet rag combined to do the job just fine. Keep in mind that it takes a lot of arm strength for this to work, so it isn't for everyone. But it's cheap and it always did the job for me with that vehicle. Fortunately, her 2004 Lexus RX330 doesn't suffer from that problem. Neither does her 2005 S-Type. And my 1999 Ram headlights are still crystal clear as well....

Jon - You use softscrub with the bleach? If so, cool. I'll be doing my lights this weekend.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, it always did the trick on the 2000 Lexus RX300. Gotta get in there hard with some heavy-duty arm and hand pressure, though....

Haven't had the lens clouding issue on the S-Type yet. Of course, the headlamp assemblies are both less than a year old since they were replaced as a result of the 8/3/09 accident. I'm hoping that the lens composition has been improved over the years and clouding will not become an issue with this car. We'll see....

Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 PM

Thanks Jon, I will try that, nothing to lose at this point. Does anyone know the EXACT cause of this, just oxidation??? I mean, from my headlights and the pics I posted, they look spiderwebed, "cloudy", and almost pitted but JUST at the top. My buddies Porsche Cayenne looks EXACTLY the same. I cannot grasp how this is possible, if it were highway rocks the WHOLE lens should be like this, no? Its not "yellowing" at all, they are just all F'd up. Pretty annoying when your ride is gleaming after a bath and then you get a nice glimpse of these horrific lenses that look like they belong on a '94 Taurus.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

In the case of my wife's previous Lexus, oxidation was indeed the culprit. The lens composition of that vehicle was highly prone to it, and it was a well-known issue. But pitting is a different story. If your lenses are pitted, there's probably not much you can do short of trying to sand and refinish (which could make things worse rather than better)....

Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

You should look at the Turtle wax product it will take care of the pitting “Features & Benefits This unique process restores dull, yellowed headlights to like new condition in less than 5 minutes per lens. The lens clarifying compound quickly removes surface discoloration and may be all that is needed to restore clarity. 3 multi-stage wet restoration pads allow the consumer to Focus on deeper discoloration and scratches to restore the lens to like new condition. No buffers or battery operated machinery required.” Turtle Wax/Headlight lens restorer kit includes 4 oz. spray lubricant, 4 oz. lens clarifying compound and 3 pcs. 1800-8000 grit restoration pad

Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

For $10 it does sound like a deal.

Has anyone tried putting the clear lens protectors on their S-Type headlamps lenses after restoring them?

I wonder if it helps with the pitting and discoloration or are there side effects?

Bob S.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
For $10 it does sound like a deal.

Has anyone tried putting the clear lens protectors on their S-Type headlamps lenses after restoring them?

I wonder if it helps with the pitting and discoloration or are there side effects?

Bob S.

May be a good idea, however, I wonder how that film (if thats what your talking about) would stand up to the heat. I could forsee them discoloring and/or deforming over time.

Do your lenses look similar to mine?

Quick Reply: Lens discoloration, cheap solution found