Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance

Hello everyone,

I have an issue that I cannot figure out and would really appreciate some advice. The car drives 100% fine under normal conditions. The issue does not occur unless I go WOT at any speed and seems to be RPM dependent as you can see in the below video. When restricted performance comes on it is only on for a few seconds and then the car goes back to normal with no check engine light. If I repeat the issue 3-4 times the check engine light will stay on after restricted performance turns off. So far I have changed all of the intercooler gaskets (Per a Jaguar technician's recommendation). Thank you all again in advance for the advice.

The Car:
Unmolested 2005 S-Type R W/67xxx miles

Fault Codes(In Order):
P0300
P1314
P0308
P0304
P0306
P0308
P1314
P1000

Innovate OT-2 Data logger (I wasn't logging when I took the vid):
Engine RPM 4250
Engine Load 89%
TP 100%
MAF 253.04g/s
Boost (MAP) .86 PSIg
Spark Advance 16.5deg
ECT 198degF
FRP 54PSI
Long Term Fuel Trim 1 .09%
Short Term Fuel Trim 1 .09%
Long Term Fuel Trim 2 .88%
Short Term Fuel Trim 2 .09%

Video(Turn the sound up to hear a tapping sound prior to RP):
2005 Jaguar S-Type R High RPM RP - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-1.jpg   S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-2.jpg   S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-3.jpg   S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-4.jpg   S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-5.jpg  

S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-6.jpg   S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-7.jpg   S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-8.jpg  
Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like lots of misfire codes with a bad Catalytic code.

I had a similar problem last year replaced both cats problem was gone.

With 67xxx miles Have you done your mayor service as of yet?

cheers..

Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

What are the fuel trims at idle & 2500rpm in Park?

Chances are you have bad or dirty coils. Have you checked the plug wells / changed any coils?

The P1000 is bad news unless you've very recently had the battery off or cleared the codes.

I would not drive it hard until it's fixed and also drive it as little as possible until then since if the cats are OK they won't be if you keep dumping fuel into them as it's doing now.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

John, you're a genius! Wherever did you get the fuel trim idea??

05BLKSTR, those codes seem to indicate some serious misfiring under load on bank 2. The P1314 doesn't mean a failed catalyst, it means bank 2 misfires serious enough to cause catalyst damage. Henceforth, the Restricted Performance message. I'm on-board with JagV8 about the coils. I'd consider swapping coils bank to bank and clear the system. Then see if you end up with P0301, P0303, P0305, P0307 and P1313 which means bank 1 catalyst damage. Easy enough to do.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member

Hardly a genius LOL. Stick enough minds on a problem and usually someone has an idea. I got lucky - well, I did if it turns up useful evidence (Actually, even negative results would move things along.)

Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

05BLKSTR: Hold off on the coils... Let me explain why....

I had a very similar problem with my 05 3.0.

If you notice.. All the codes are coming from one side of the engine.. Bank 2. The miss-fires and the cat damage codes... Mine did the same thing and freaked me out.

Let me guess as well, that if you reset / clear the codes and drive it like a great grandma it will run fine and not trip any codes other than the "not ready" P1000 code.

Then you go out on an empty road (check your mirror and make sure no one is behind you) and slam down the pedal...BINGO! Codes....

My problem was a failed catalytic converter. For some reason, as it failed, it created an issue on that side that made the PCM think it was a miss-fire. Yea, I didn't believe it at first. I actually had to take the service manager out with me in order to get it to trip the restricted performance light.

So, my advice is get someone to check your cats before you go crazy tearing into the engine compartment.

Here is my thread on the subject:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d-going-44855/

The following users liked this post:
05Blkstr (12-16-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

The fuel trims should be revealing, either way.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
05BLKSTR: Hold off on the coils... Let me explain why....

I had a very similar problem with my 05 3.0.

If you notice.. All the codes are coming from one side of the engine.. Bank 2. The miss-fires and the cat damage codes... Mine did the same thing and freaked me out.

Let me guess as well, that if you reset / clear the codes and drive it like a great grandma it will run fine and not trip any codes other than the "not ready" P1000 code.

Then you go out on an empty road (check your mirror and make sure no one is behind you) and slam down the pedal...BINGO! Codes....

My problem was a failed catalytic converter. For some reason, as it failed, it created an issue on that side that made the PCM think it was a miss-fire. Yea, I didn't believe it at first. I actually had to take the service manager out with me in order to get it to trip the restricted performance light.

So, my advice is get someone to check your cats before you go crazy tearing into the engine compartment.

Here is my thread on the subject:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d-going-44855/
You are absolutely right Jeff, he may have wasted a catalyst. My reasoning in suggesting the coil swap is that it doesn't appear 05BLKSTR has a graphing scantool. Without that, moving the coils to see if the problem bank moves to the other side or not, is the easiest diagnostic strategy he has available.

Cheers,

Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

All very good advice. I would FIRST inspect the coils for oil. It's not real common on the STR but if you find any I would consider doing all 8 coils and plugs. You can swap them around but many people have been down this road and you most likely will need to go back in to replace the coils one by one. It's up to you. If the car is a daily driver I would just change them. Don't forget to change the cam cover gaskets and spark plug well seals. These are the ones that let oil into the coils.

Your mileage is not quite at the recommended range to change plugs but I would do it since you are having problems.

If the cat is plugged or damaged enough to affect bank 2 it should also reduce power. Before it hits restricted mode is the power OK?

I am also puzzled by a mechanic changing the inter cooler gaskets?? This has never been reported as a problem and I have seen no TSB's. Any further info from the Jaguar tech? We have at least 3 Jaguar tech's posting on this forum so maybe one of them could jump in?

Old 12-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
If the cat is plugged or damaged enough to affect bank 2 it should also reduce power. Before it hits restricted mode is the power OK?
That's what I thought as well.... So much so that I called "BS" at the dealer when they said they would fix all my codes with a new cat...

My car ran fine unless I tromped on it and took it up past 5800 to 6000 RPM.

Then it would jump into "restricted performance" and stutter real bad... Once it calmed down, it would be fine. Even moderate acceleration with downshifts were fine. If you read my old thread on it I really thought it was electrical and or fuel delivery....

As they explained it to me... When a cat starts to go it confuses the PCM with bad readings from the O2 sensors, that it tries to compensate for... Making it produce its own miss-fires.... I know, it sounds crazy but once they replaced the cat it was fine till I traded it...In my case the cat was just starting to fail so it took a high RPM load for the car to think there was anything wrong. That is also why I had to go with them to get it to do it. They just wouldn't beat on it that hard even with my blessing...

LOL... New smilies since I've been gone...

Me and the service manager on the diagnostic drive....

Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 PM

Quick update:

The car was purchased at 66k miles and to the best of my knowledge the major service has not been preformed. Per most of your suggestions I swapped bank 2 coils over to bank 1, I also inspected the wells for oil as recommend and I am happy to say that there was not a drop present. The codes that are predominantly reoccurring are as follows P0306, P0308, P1314(after the swap). @JOsworth, what you are describing sounds like my issue to the T.

Fuel trims as requested:

Idle:
LongFT1:3.21%
LongFT2:2.43%
ShortFT1:-1.66%
ShortFT2:-4.78%

Accl at 1500RPM:
LongFT1:.09%
LongFT2:-1.68%
ShortFT1:4.77%
ShortFT2:-10.23%

Accl at 2000RPM:
LongFT2:.88%
ShortFT1:4.77%
ShortFT2:-1.66%

Accl at 2500RPM:
LongFT2:.88%
ShortFT1:.09%
ShortFT2:.09%

Now off throttle 2180RPM -10.43PSIg
LongFT2:-1.66%
ShortFT1:-7.89%
ShortFT2:-16.46%

Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by xjrguy
You are absolutely right Jeff, he may have wasted a catalyst. My reasoning in suggesting the coil swap is that it doesn't appear 05BLKSTR has a graphing scantool. Without that, moving the coils to see if the problem bank moves to the other side or not, is the easiest diagnostic strategy he has available.

Cheers,
I have 3 different scan tools, the first is the Innova 3120 pictured in my initial post.

Second is the OT-2 from Innovate, this WiFi unit allows me to see and record up to 16 channels of real time data on my iPhone 4s. Link below:
Innovate Motor Sports On-Line Store

Screen shots of the Logworks software attached.

I also use the full version of Torque on my android phone but I find this program to run a little slow on my Samsung Infuse (using an eBay ELM 327 Bluetooth unit).

Attached Thumbnails S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-img_0489.jpg   S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance-img_0490.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Glad to hear no oil!! I have a 2005 STR and and am hoping that problem was fixed by the factory.

Did you at least pull a plug? Your codes indicated cylinders 6 & 8. I would pull both and have a look. Somebody posted a STR plug change and the old ones were horrific!! But the car was still running fine. I think it just depends on the car.

I see you are in Texas. This is a WAG but maybe get your injectors cleaned and flow balanced? Here in Houston it's only $18/injector. I would like to do mine but no time yet!

Professional Fuel Injector Cleaning Service : Injector Cleaning Service : Injector Cleaning : Clogged injectors : Injector Flow Testing : InjectorRX.com

Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Good data.

I see nothing to suggest an air leak, and as the misfires did not move with the coil swaps then probably the coils are good.

No oil in the plug wells is good, too.

hmm, I suppose it COULD be bad plugs or injectors (or even bad compression) but...... I reckon Jeff's got the most likely suggestion (bad cat). Worth doing a few more checks, I suppose.

Cats sometimes make a noise and I think more often the temperature drop is different side-to-side where one cat has gone (in case you have such as an IR temp gun).

Let's see if Steve (xjrguy) or anyone else has other ideas......

Oh - your cats may be under warranty depending on your state's emissions laws. Not sure how you check, sorry.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
All very good advice. I would FIRST inspect the coils for oil. It's not real common on the STR but if you find any I would consider doing all 8 coils and plugs. You can swap them around but many people have been down this road and you most likely will need to go back in to replace the coils one by one. It's up to you. If the car is a daily driver I would just change them. Don't forget to change the cam cover gaskets and spark plug well seals. These are the ones that let oil into the coils.

Your mileage is not quite at the recommended range to change plugs but I would do it since you are having problems.

I am also puzzled by a mechanic changing the inter cooler gaskets?? This has never been reported as a problem and I have seen no TSB's. Any further info from the Jaguar tech? We have at least 3 Jaguar tech's posting on this forum so maybe one of them could jump in?

The Jaguar tech that looked at the car pulled the plastic shroud off and pointed at the bank 2 intercooler gasket (it was covered in oil) and said there's your problem, which it wasn't...The car slightly (very slightly) surges while making a tapping sound resembling an ignition knock from bad gas. As for loss of power, While under heavy acceleration the car runs great / pulls hard until 4-5k RPM depending on the road grade.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Here is another video I took last night:

Jaguar S-Type R RP Issue - YouTube

Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 AM
Veteran member

OK, you moved coil(s) and the codes stayed on bank 2, correct?

JagV8 says your fuel trims look good. So, probably not an air leak / vacuum issue.

I would double check your in service date (if it matters) and mileage for emissions warranty. If you are not sure, contact the dealer and ask.

I would print this thread out. Schedule a drive with a service tech or service manager. Have them hook their scanner to it and get it to trip the codes.

I really think you have a catalytic converter going bad. The similarities to what your car is doing compared to what mine did is uncanny despite yours being an R and mine was a 3.0.

Or maybe it's time for a minor performance boost with some new high flow cats.. Tee Hee... I know others on here have done that...

The following users liked this post:
05Blkstr (12-16-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

05BLKSTR, my STR is doing the same (CEL with restricted performance). I can hear rattling in one of the Magnaflow hi-flow cats, it likely failed.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 05BLKSTR
The Jaguar tech that looked at the car pulled the plastic shroud off and pointed at the bank 2 intercooler gasket (it was covered in oil) and said there's your problem, which it wasn't...The car slightly (very slightly) surges while making a tapping sound resembling an ignition knock from bad gas. As for loss of power, While under heavy acceleration the car runs great / pulls hard until 4-5k RPM depending on the road grade.
Ouch! Sorry for your luck. I hate to say it, but it seems you have found a Jaguar Guesser instead of a Jaguar Technician. Pointing to some oil and saying "that's your problem" is pretty poor diagnostics in my opinion.

Now that you have moved the ignition coils and the problem is still bank 2, that pretty much tells the tale. Your cats are still covered by the mandated 8/80 Emission Performance Warranty, I would make sure everything is stock and get it to your friendly dealer and have them assess the system.
Calmly tell them, repeat, CALMLY tell them, you have had it assessed elsewhere and HIGHLY suspect the catalyst, and see that they note that on the repair order. That way, if they go another direction and find an expense to you and then later wind around to the catalyst, you are set for having your money returned.

It's just human nature, they don't want to rely on someone else's diagnosis, or at least they shouldn't, I don't. If I do that and the car isn't fixed, somehow I still end up in hot water myself. So give them every chance to verify your suspicion, they deserve that. If you're lucky, maybe they will find the other bank is junk, too, and get both replaced.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Your cats are still covered by the mandated 8/80 Emission Performance Warranty, I would make sure everything is stock and get it to your friendly dealer and have them assess the system.
Calmly tell them, repeat, CALMLY tell them, you have had it assessed elsewhere and HIGHLY suspect the catalyst, and see that they note that on the repair order. That way, if they go another direction and find an expense to you and then later wind around to the catalyst, you are set for having your money returned.

It's just human nature, they don't want to rely on someone else's diagnosis, or at least they shouldn't, I don't. If I do that and the car isn't fixed, somehow I still end up in hot water myself. So give them every chance to verify your suspicion, they deserve that. If you're lucky, maybe they will find the other bank is junk, too, and get both replaced.

Good luck!
Great advise there... You will always get better service from a dealer when you talk TO them and not AT them...

Quick Reply: S-Type R High RPM Restricted Performance