Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type R Rear Diff Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts
Default S Type R Rear Diff Oil Change

I wanted to change the rear differential fluid and had a bit of a problem getting the correct fluid. After changing the fluid in my car I HIGHLY recommend doing this or getting it done at a shop.

The fluid I got out was very black and the magnetic fill plug had some "hair" on it but not too bad. The rear end does not have a drain plug so I used a hand vacuum pump to suck out all the fluid I could.

You need 1.32 L of fluid that meets Ford/Jaguar specification M2C192A synthetic. This is a 75W-140 oil. It is very expensive at Jaguar and the best I found was at NAPA. STA-Lub Syn-Go 75W-140. NAPA part number SL2496. It's about $42 for 2 quarts (Still expensive!!). The rear end was not making any noise before and after the oil change it is still quiet. I had a hard time refilling the rear end and used a measuring cup to accurately measure the 1.32 L and then used my MityVac hand pump to get it in the small fill hole. I have always just filled the rear end up until fluid just starts overflowing from the fill hole. When I added the measured amount it seemed to be right at the bottom of the fill plug so it must be pretty close.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Thanks for posting that!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Any new updates to rear differential oil used for STR and Instructions???

Originally Posted by tbird6
I wanted to change the rear differential fluid and had a bit of a problem getting the correct fluid. After changing the fluid in my car I HIGHLY recommend doing this or getting it done at a shop.

The fluid I got out was very black and the magnetic fill plug had some "hair" on it but not too bad. The rear end does not have a drain plug so I used a hand vacuum pump to suck out all the fluid I could.

You need 1.32 L of fluid that meets Ford/Jaguar specification M2C192A synthetic. This is a 75W-140 oil. It is very expensive at Jaguar and the best I found was at NAPA. STA-Lub Syn-Go 75W-140. NAPA part number SL2496(http://www.performanceonline.com/STA...75W-140-SL2496). It's about $42 for 2 quarts (Still expensive!!). The rear end was not making any noise before and after the oil change it is still quiet. I had a hard time refilling the rear end and used a measuring cup to accurately measure the 1.32 L and then used my MityVac hand pump to get it in the small fill hole. I have always just filled the rear end up until fluid just starts overflowing from the fill hole. When I added the measured amount it seemed to be right at the bottom of the fill plug so it must be pretty close.
....I'm thinking of doing a Rear Differential fluid change on my 03' STR, but is above info up to date on the type of oil used STA-Lub Syn-Go 75W-140 (http://www.performanceonline.com/STA...75W-140-SL2496) as an alternate from OEM JAG oil?? Also does the car have to be cooled down(temp sensitive) like the Tranny when adding fluid in it or you can just suck it all out and refill it with 1.32L of oil as stated before?

** Also whats a good Hand Vaccum Pump to use to suck out the old oil from the REar differential???

Update: I found that Amsoil 75W 140 synthetic is also Ford/Jaguar compatible M2C192A, has anyone tried Amsoil for the Differential oil replacement?
http://bestsyntheticoil.com/dealers/...-75w-140.shtml

Thanks.

Last edited by jag79; 10-30-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

deleted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by jag79; 10-30-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
....I'm thinking of doing a Rear Differential fluid change on my 03' STR, but is above info up to date on the type of oil used STA-Lub Syn-Go 75W-140 (http://www.performanceonline.com/STA...75W-140-SL2496) as an alternate from OEM JAG oil?? Also does the car have to be cooled down(temp sensitive) like the Tranny when adding fluid in it or you can just suck it all out and refill it with 1.32L of oil as stated before?

** Also whats a good Hand Vaccum Pump to use to suck out the old oil from the REar differential???

Update: I found that Amsoil 75W 140 synthetic is also Ford/Jaguar compatible M2C192A, has anyone tried Amsoil for the Differential oil replacement?
http://bestsyntheticoil.com/dealers/...-75w-140.shtml

Thanks.
I'm a little curious too. Is there a reason that you have to use that specific spec. I understand about the trans as all ZF are spec'd for their special kind of fluid but is there something special in the rear end that causes us to not be able to just use some regular 75w-140 synthetic oil. I mean we dont even have an LSD which in my last car just required a friction modifier. Are we using some magic diff that must have special oil crystals to properly lube? LOL Just kidding about the crystals but is there something special about our rear end that warrant this?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Just factory specifications. All cars and differentials have an oil specification. GM, Ford, BMW. You can put something else in if you want. But for the differential there are several non-Jaguar fluids that conform. The 1.32 L is the Factory capacity so I think I got almost all out since it took 1.32L to fill. Jaguar has not changed the oil specifications so any that meet M2C192A should be fine. I did mine with everything cold. If there was drain plug I would drain it hot.

I have a small hand pump. You can get them at most parts store. The fluid is just so thick it's hard to pump. I don't have a lift so not a lot of working room when on your back!

It's been about 15K miles and all is good.

Last edited by clubairth1; 10-30-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added to answer
Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just factory specifications. All cars and differentials have an oil specification. GM, Ford, BMW. You can put something else in if you want. But for the differential there are several non-Jaguar fluids that conform. The 1.32 L is the Factory capacity so I think I got almost all out since it took 1.32L to fill. Jaguar has not changed the oil specifications so any that meet M2C192A should be fine.

I have a small hand pump. You can get them most parts store. The fluid is just so thick it's hard to pump. I don't have a lift so not a lot of working room when on your back!

It's been about 15K miles and all is good.
Sweet!!! So if I may ask what type of Differential Oil you went with? Im leaning towards the Amsoil 75W 140 which contains the limited slip additive. Also about the the factory capacity of 1.32L, I heard you can just keep filling it till it over fills and wait till it stops dripping, then cap it off. I really wish there was a drain plug for the rear differential on the S types instead of pumping that shiat out, (Harbor Tools has the siphon pump for $6 I found out)

Last edited by jag79; 10-30-2010 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wuzupez (03-23-2014)
Old 10-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
I'm a little curious too. Is there a reason that you have to use that specific spec. I understand about the trans as all ZF are spec'd for their special kind of fluid but is there something special in the rear end that causes us to not be able to just use some regular 75w-140 synthetic oil. I mean we dont even have an LSD which in my last car just required a friction modifier. Are we using some magic diff that must have special oil crystals to properly lube? LOL Just kidding about the crystals but is there something special about our rear end that warrant this?
...I've been searching around a lot on this and what I came up with is, that if you use the wrong the spec, you will start hearing whine noise and improper lubrications of the bearings etc...... so whatever the manufacturer recommends to use, its always the good choice, but in my case I want to go with some other brand with the same specs for a cheaper cost. The amsoil 75w 140 cost $12 a quart as compared to the OEM Jag differential at $91 But again someone even put REDline full synthetic with the limited slip additive in and so far no problems.....

Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Sorry. I post as Tbird6 too. So I have the STA-Lub Syn-Go 75W-140 from NAPA in my 2005 STR.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Sorry. I post as Tbird6 too. So I have the STA-Lub Syn-Go 75W-140 from NAPA in my 2005 STR.
LOlz, so you are the infamous "Tbird6". What made you chose the Syn-Go instead of other products out there like Amsoil that contains the limited slip additive? I really couldn't find any proper specs on the Syn-Go 75W140 if it contains limited slip additives in it or not, thats the only reason I backed off from thinking to get it

Old 10-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry. I post as Tbird6 too. So I have the STA-Lub Syn-Go 75W-140 in my diff too.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Sorry. I post as Tbird6 too. So I have the STA-Lub Syn-Go 75W-140 in my diff too.
LOLz...WTF!! I thought you said you used the Castrol when you pm'd me

Old 10-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

I though it was the castrol one, but that one sounds more familiar. I had a napa store owner send me a "care package" of oils I couldn't find on my own I'll have to dig up the invoice to tell you for sure which one it is for sure.

I've actually changed out all the fluids in the car with the exception of the coolant. I want to use water wetter and coolant 1:1:1 but I want to find a 165 or 175 thermostat first

Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

...I've been searching around a lot on this and what I came up with is, that if you use the wrong the spec, you will start hearing whine noise and improper lubrications of the bearings etc...... so whatever the manufacturer recommends to use, its always the good choice, but in my case I want to go with some other brand with the same specs for a cheaper cost. The amsoil 75w 140 cost $12 a quart as compared to the OEM Jag differential at $91 But again someone even put REDline full synthetic with the limited slip additive in and so far no problems.....
Thanks for the info. I was kinda curious. So is everyone running something with a LSD additive even though we dont have one? Is that something that is needed?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

No but I'm not too sure there are full synth fluids out there without it.

And just to let a cats ear out of the bag been going back and forth with a company for an lsd

Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
Thanks for the info. I was kinda curious. So is everyone running something with a LSD additive even though we dont have one? Is that something that is needed?
Surprisingly most Differential oils on the market have the LSD additive ingredient mix in with the oil, just very few dont have it. Now how important the LSD additive is I'm not sure , I really would like to know also and I hope someone could chime in and explain the significance of Limited Slip Differential (LSD) additive to us for our Rear differential

Last edited by jag79; 10-30-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Doubtful it has effects since it's an open carrier. And I highly doubt the gears are coated with anything.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
No but I'm not too sure there are full synth fluids out there without it.

And just to let a cats ear out of the bag been going back and forth with a company for an lsd
Thats awesome. I had to sideline my LSD project since everyone wants over 400 for a used diff to experiment with and I've got other things to spend money on right now as I'll be unemployed soon. Would the company happen to be Quaife??

Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Maaaaybeeeeeeee……

Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Surprisingly most Differential oils on the market have the LSD additive ingredient mix in with the oil, just very few dont have it. Now how important the LSD additive is I'm not sure , I really would like to know also and I hope someone could chime in and explain the significance of Limited Slip Differential (LSD) additive to us for our Rear differential
Thats interesting I never paid attention to notice they had an additive. I always had to put the friction modifier in my last car since it had a clutch pack for the LSD. I just got the required weight oil since it was a Mercury and never really paid attention what, if anything was added.

Quick Reply: S Type R Rear Diff Oil Change