Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-type V8 wont start / cut out

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015 | 10:48 AM
|
Default S-type V8 wont start / cut out

Hi

Firstly let me say I have done searches and cant seem to find what I am looking for, alot of problems with not revving and stuff point to breather and vacuum pipes. I believe mine is different.

Yesterday the car seemed to take an extra tick when i started it up, like an extra 2--3 seconds of cranking, i didnt think any thing of it at the time. It drove fine on the way home etc.

Now today It was the same an extra second or 2, hardly noticeable but you do notice if that makes sense. I drove the the shops, did some shopping then went to drive home and it really struggles to start, just started with the last turn i was going to try. then once started i noticed it wasnt revving properly, when it revved past 3 k it was like it was on half cylinders or something, it reved to 4-5k sounded loud but with no power, almost like the clutch was slipping.

I decided to try and get home but not rev over 3k, this was working fine but at some traffic lights the car in front stopped so I had to and it cut out, I couldnt get it going again :/

Friend came with jump leads and it fires up straight away, so i get nearly home about 500 metres away and it cuts out at about 30-40mph, i managed to roll all the way to my house, tried to restart and it wouldnt, turned over but not enough power to kick it in.

now to me it sounds like A the battery is knackered and wont hold a charge, or B the alternator isnt working.

BUT

would a low battery or bad alternator stop it revving once its running? would it make it loose power? it also sounds very tappy when i rev it and the belt is squealing a little, so could it be the belt?

Or has everything just broke at once

sorry if this doesnt make sense, Ill answer any questions I can and ask for any help that can be offered.

Im based in doncaster

Thanks

Matt

Old 02-21-2015 | 10:51 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Matt,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 02-21-2015 | 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Is it a 4.0 or 4.2? Vital - if it's the 4.0 you may have serious engine trouble (jumped timing or worse), don't try to start it.

N.B. see below!

Old 02-21-2015 | 11:44 AM
|

Hi

sorry I have added car details to my sig but it must not update old posts.

Its the 4.0 v8, would jumping timing make the battery run flat though? what do you recommend? banging a battery on tomorrow or try and get somebody with a diagnostic machine to come out?

cant really get it to the garage :/

Old 02-21-2015 | 12:18 PM

Do you know the service history of this vehicle and what is the number of kilometres/miles?

If you have the ability to remove the cam covers, take a look at the upper timing chain tensioners to see if they are intact. Unless the engine has had the uprated timing chains and tensioners fitted, it is possible one of the plastic-bodied tensioners has broken causing the inlet valves to lose timing or possibly have impacted a piston.

Old 02-21-2015 | 12:27 PM
|

bought with 0 history and has done 135k miles, its dark now but guess i can try and take things off tomorrow

Old 02-21-2015 | 12:34 PM

I have seen several 4.0 litre Jaguar engines with broken upper timing chains yet no damage to the inlet valves, so there is always the possibility that with new tensioners and chains the engine will start and run normally.

Once you remove the two cam covers, report back on what you find.

Old 02-21-2015 | 12:38 PM
|

OK thanks I will do that in the morning, Would that explain the battery or could that be something different?

Old 02-21-2015 | 12:52 PM

If you search this forum, there are many threads concerning the battery and how critical a strong battery is for correct performance of the vehicle. A failing or weak battery can lead to some false DTCs being set or other electrical issues.

It is very possible the vehicle will also need a new battery if you have no records to indicate its age.

Old 02-22-2015 | 04:10 AM
|

right I have took off the foam engine cover thingy which makes the noise more prominent. The loud tapping noise isnt there at tickover but as soon as any revs are applied it is really loud. The sound is coming from both sides of the engine around the cam covers, so it sounds exactly as you have described.

I havnt stripped anything as it is on the side of the road, but also i suffer with a bad back and if i am bent over for ore then a couple of minutes my disks can slip out easy! ( first happend fixing a car!)

I will trailer it to the garage and let them have a quick look, what am i looking at for a cost for a timing chain kit with uprated tensioners? if its to much i may sell it as spares or repair and get something newer.

thanks for your help

matt

Old 02-22-2015 | 10:09 AM

Given the age of the car, I cannot imagine it is worth very much. Unless you are able to do the work yourself, the cost to uprate the timing chain parts may exceed the value of the car itself.

Once the garage give their opinion, you can decide on what to do next, but you may want to look at vehicles for sale in your local market to get an idea of what your car may be worth.