Old 08-28-2014, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Simple Fluid Question

According to Alldata the PS fluid is as follows:
Power Steering Fluid

Type Mobil ATF to Dexron 3 Specification
Capacity approx. 1.6 L (1.6 qts)

Does anyone use transmission fluid in their power steering on the S-Type.

I know that it is best to just flush and replace all, but if I were to mix amounts over a period of time with the original- suggestions that are compatible?

Tom in Dallas
05 S-Type 3.0 76600k

Old 08-28-2014, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,392 Likes on 2,868 Posts

While doing the power steering additive process in March 2010 to silence the infamous cooing sounds that had developed, I finished the task by topping up with Dexron III as specified in the owners manual. The noise was indeed silenced and no isssues with the power steering system have developed since then....

Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
While doing the power steering additive process in March 2010 to silence the infamous cooing sounds that had developed, I finished the task by topping up with Dexron III as specified in the owners manual. The noise was indeed silenced and no isssues with the power steering system have developed since then....
What fluid did you specifically use? Who was manufacturer?

I did the additive at about that point as well. I see the following question asked by many people in the forum, but no answer. Is there or will I create a problem in using the additive a second time?

Tom in Dallas

Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I believe any fluid that meets the Dexron 3 standard should be fine. Personally, I went with Castrol.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

The fluid is in the Vehicle Specifications PDF in the stickies.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Should not need the magic juice a second time. If the dealer added the magic juice you should have a sticker on the P/S reservoir with a part number on it.

But once in a while the noise returns and only one or two people have reported a second helping of magic juice helped them out. So it's rare but not completely unknown.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,392 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Dexron III is Dexron III. It's been around for many years and is manufactured to tightly-controlled specs. Just stick to a name brand (Castrol, Valvoline, Shell, etc.) and you'll be fine....

I know that forum member Zane in Texas had to dose one of his two S-Types twice, perhaps a year or two apart, in order to re-silence the cooing noise. If that happens, you may want to consider siphoning out as much of the original power steering fluid as you can from the reservoir and refilling it with fresh Dexron III. Then re-dose if necessary....

Old 08-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Dexron III is Dexron III. It's been around for many years and is manufactured to tightly-controlled specs. Just stick to a name brand (Castrol, Valvoline, Shell, etc.) and you'll be fine....

I know that forum member Zane in Texas had to dose one of his two S-Types twice, perhaps a year or two apart, in order to re-silence the cooing noise. If that happens, you may want to consider siphoning out as much of the original power steering fluid as you can from the reservoir and refilling it with fresh Dexron III. Then re-dose if necessary....

Thanks

got the Valvoline and what you suggest is exactly what I am going to do.

Tom in Dallas

Old 08-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Received 8,254 Likes on 4,979 Posts

The only S-Type that used a different PAS fluid (ESSO 998) was the 2000MY with the Ford steering rack.
The system also required the special bleeding procedure with VACUUM to remove the air.

Later X200 used the DEXRON fluid.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
jazzwineman (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Default Today's Report

Went to get the steering additive (while also paying attention to the new Caviar XJ). Spoke to tech their and part's guy and they both said the additive is a lubricant with some teflon in it. So when I talked about using it only one time the consensus and my good sense said that you really cannot overuse a good lubricant and that Jag just says this so then then can charge you more for another costly job. It is why I would rather give the car away than go back to Park Place service in Dallas/Plano. Worst company of any sort I have ever done business with in my entire life and if they were a Doctor, Attorney or Accountant- they would loose their license to practice and be sued into malpractice bankruptcy (and then somehow act like the victim). They have zero ethics.

I digress - went home- car and day was already hot. Got Valvoline ATF. Drained all the fluid out of reservoir- put in additive and then filled to max with new fluid. (the fluid I removed was mainly red- clean, no sludge, blackness and smelled like normal fluid) At this point I figured that this was not my problem. However I continued with a copy of the procedure and did it exactly and then a second time and drove around. Sound was still there.

The sound I should state was not the "swoosh" type I had some 15k and 2 years ago, but more of a squeak, especially when turning it left- the slower I would turn the less the sound. Now just being myself, there was no way to sit in the car and turn thew wheel and be under the hood with a stethoscope type device to figure what was what.

So I looked at the linkage (column)- was aware of TSB JTB00034 (STEERING COLUMN ADJUSTMENT TO RESOLVE NOISE Situation:
Increased loading on the bulkhead bushing can result in noise coming from the steering column when the steering wheel is turned.
Action:
If a customer expresses concern about the steering noise symptoms and they are verified, reposition the lower steering column to release pressure on the bulkhead bushing as outlined below in the Repair Procedure of this bulletin)

So just for s.... and giggles decide to use some Kroil on the joints you can see. Let it sit for 10 minutes and got in and drove around again. Now the noise is not gone completely, but at last drive some 80% of it is gone and that is generally when I make a fast steering wheel turn. My assumption is that the bushing or something on the steering column is the culprit.

Question I have about the TSB and the bushing:?? is this just simply a noise issue r i there potentially some danger with the steering that would come about all at once. I really have no problem with the steering or the drive- have no shudder- just the stupid noise and yes it is an irritant.

Thoughts on the safety issue and is there any easy way to actually get to the bushing vs. the need for a lift.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas/Plano
05 S-type 3.0 76800k

Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

I can recall lots of cars where the additive was the fix and one or two where the bush was but I can't recall any debate about possible failure of the steering/column. But... any joint making a noise isn't right and is wearing. Steering ones are going to be hefty, engineered with wide tolerances for safety reasons so I reckon you're not in imminent risk. JEPC / JTIS etc probably show the parts / how to remove etc. You may be in new territory!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I can recall lots of cars where the additive was the fix and one or two where the bush was but I can't recall any debate about possible failure of the steering/column. But... any joint making a noise isn't right and is wearing. Steering ones are going to be hefty, engineered with wide tolerances for safety reasons so I reckon you're not in imminent risk. JEPC / JTIS etc probably show the parts / how to remove etc. You may be in new territory!
Thanks.

These are the types of things that you find when just using some look arounds. The joints are tight. I am sure it is the bush, but perhaps some of my "lubing" got into that area if that was possible. Anytime there is metal to metal bolts and and movement - always the place for corrosion, oxidation and noise.

I should have paid attention to my ears the first time this cropped up several days ago and siad this is very different that what you and I had on what I refer to as a swooshing sound.

Tom in Dallas/Plano

Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Even though it's nearly always been the noise that's cured by the additive... well, "nearly always" says it all I suppose!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Even though it's nearly always been the noise that's cured by the additive... well, "nearly always" says it all I suppose!
That would assume that it is the area that is making the noise that the additive is supposed to address. I think mine is the bushing area and the additive does not address that.

Tom

Old 08-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Sadly, that's so. (Much easier to use the additive. This time you're unlucky)

The following users liked this post:
jazzwineman (08-29-2014)