S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm/Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Warm/Hot Air

Hello all! New Jag S-type R owner here. I just got this car about a month and a half ago and so far, for the most part, its been great! I have already learned a lot from this forum and will continue to do so. That being said, I do have a problem that hopefully someone can help me with. I've noticed that when I have the heat on, the left side of the car is always pushing out hot air. At first I thought it was nothing because I usually don't have the dual climate control on. But one day after I drove someone around they left their side at about 24 C and mine was at 18 C. When I dropped them off I turned off the dual zone and noticed that even though both sides were at 18 C, the right side was blowing the right temperature but the left side was bowing hot, noticeably hot. I played around with the temperature settings and no matter what I did, left side blew the same temperature (hot) but the right side worked fine. I read from posts on here that this can be the heater control valve thing. But another thing I noticed, when I switch it to cold air, both sides blow cold except for the far side vents, which blow hot, then eventually start to blow cool air. The other thing is that the vents at your feet always blow hot air, no matter what the setting is. I thought at first it was just the heater control valve but after noticing this stuff, I wasn't sure since it doesn't sound consistent with what everyone else is experiencing with this problem. Now, since I do live in Winnipeg, the coldest city in the world, I don't really mind the problem and I'm not in a huge panic to fix it since it will be down to -45 C in a month or so and this morning is was -17 C, so the more heat the better! I'm just trying to figure out what it could be before making that dreaded trip to the dealer to see if they can find the problem.
Thanks

Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts
Default RE: Warm/Hot Air

AS OF THE LAST YEAR OVER HALF THE S TYPE WE HAVE TO PUT HEATER CONTROL VALVES IN FOR LEAKAGE EITHER INTERNALLY OR EXT. WE ALSO HAVE TO REPLACE THE CLOIMATE CONTROL MODULE WHICH IS THE FACE PLATE UNLESS YOU HAVE NAV. IT SEEMS THAT COOLANT IS GETTING UP IN THE SOLENOIDS AND SHORTING OUT THE DRIVERS IN THE MODULE. SO WE NOW QUOTE THAT UPFRONT AND IF THE NEW VALVE WORKS PROPERLY WE DONT NEED IT, IF NOT AT LEAST YOUR NOT SURPRISED

Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 AM

Well, that makes sense. I have actually noticed now and then the smell of coolent, nothing really major though. Most of the time I just thought it was another car in traffic as it never lasted long. So, do you happen to know what this might cost me? Could I do this myself or is it a dealer thing? I have done work on cars so I am capable but I also know when something is over my head! I don't have nav so are you talking about the part above the radio that control the temp? Would I just have to pull it out and put a new one in? Basically, just wondering what the procedure would be for this.
Thanks

Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 AM

YOU HAVE THE WORST ENGINE CONFIGURATION TO DO A CONTROL VALAVE ON, V8 AND SUPERCHARGED, ITS NOT BAD BUT IT DEPENDS ON WETHER OR NOT YOURE ALREADY ON ANTI ANXIETY MEDS, YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP IT AND PAY. AND YES ON THE MODULE ITS THE FACE PLATE CONTROLS FOR THE AC SYSTEM AND YOU REMOVE THE RADIO STACK TO REPLACE.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Well, I know I could do the controls, that's not bad, but I have also heard the valve is a pig to get at. I think that I'll have to take a look and see if I feel like abusing myself and attempt it! It's located on the passenger side front by the rad right? Just wondering, is this something that I should be fixing asap, or can it wait. As I mentioned, it is really cold here and will be until about March or April so only heat isn't a problem. Will waiting cause more problems or is it not a big deal? And would you happen to know the part number for the heater valve?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:37 PM

I DONT KNOW THE PART NUMBER, IF THE MODULE ISNT BAD YOU COULD BE TAKING A CHANCE WITH LETTING THE VALVE GO AND TAKING OUT THE MODULE, OTHERWISE YOU CAN LET IT GO

Old 12-03-2008, 01:11 PM

Well, I think I'll look into doing the valve sometime soon and see what happens. I don't want to mess up my module if it is still fine!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Brutal I got a 03 STR that has the same problem but no A/C I replace the heater valve twice and the water pump that didn’t fix the problem but I never tried changing the module yet where is it located behind the Nav? And how does it looks like? And for any chance can I get that part from a regular S type?

Old 12-03-2008, 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike E

Brutal I got a 03 STR that has the same problem but no A/C I replace the heater valve twice and the water pump that didn’t fix the problem but I never tried changing the module yet where is it located behind the Nav? And how does it looks like? And for any chance can I get that part from a regular S type?
TAKE OUT THE GLOVE BOX AND ITS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE AC HEATING BOX ASSEMBLY, AND I DONT SEE ANY REASON A REG STYPE WOULDNT WORK FOR THAT

Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM

Thanks I'm gonna give it a shot ill keep you updated if it did the trick

Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 AM

Well, to bring this up again, today I just noticed that now all I have is warm air blowing out of all vents (same on either side) whether I have it set to 18 or 30. This is sort of a problem since it is down to -30C here and I need my heat. Before it would burn your face off on the drivers side but not the passenger as I stated above, but now just warm all across. I did start to smell some coolent the other day, not too much, but it was noticiable. Anyway, I'm just wondering now if this means that the valve might have been kind of working and now is shot and leaking worse since I smell coolent now? Should I be replacing it asap now? Or does this mean something else (like heater core, but there is no steam on the windows like a usual heater core failure)?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 PM

YES FOGGING WINDSHIELD IS A REALLY GOOD INDICATOR OF HEATER CORE LEAKING AS IS COOLANT ON YOUR FEET. BUT I HAVE YET TO SEE ONE REPLACED IN LATER JAGS, BUT I LIVE IN TEXAS TO AND THE BIGGEST RPOBLEM WE SEE IS HEATER CONTROL VLAVE STUCK CLOSED CAUSE THEYRE NOT USED 10 MONTHS OUT OF THE YR

Old 12-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Ya, I have had heater cores go before and this doesn' seem like one going. I think this may be due to the fact that this car was from Toronto and they don't have the cold like here, and teh fact teh car was sitting for a few months before I got it. I think this wasn't so good for the valve adn this current use is too much for it. I'll just replace it and see if it takes are of everything. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 PM

WELL A CHEAPER THING YOU MAY WANT TO TRY AND ITS INTERNET DIAG, IS REPLACE THE EVAP TEMP SENSOR. THIS IS RIGHT ABOVE THE GAS PEDAL ON THE SIDE OF THE HVAC CASE WITH A 2 WIRE CONNECTOR, AND THE SENSOR IS WHITE. ITS ABOUT $25 BUCKS AND CAUSES ALL KINDS OF IISUES WITH AC AND HEAT.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM

I think I might give that a try and see if that does anything. Even if it isn't the problem, it is cheap so I won't really be wasting money.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM

TAKE OUT THE GLOVE BOX AND ITS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE AC HEATING BOX ASSEMBLY, AND I DONT SEE ANY REASON A REG STYPE WOULDNT WORK FOR THAT

Brutal

Hey Brutal I just had time to mess with the car I took off the glove box is that what i suppose to change? and for winterjag problem is this the sensor? do i have to change those too because there is to of them

Mikey

Attached Thumbnails  Warm/Hot Air-100_4549.jpg    Warm/Hot Air-100_4553.jpg  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Evap temp sensor was the fault

Thanks a lot Brutal.

I have been a year without climate control as Jaguar was asking $1,900 to change the control card. The fault was, as suggested, coming from the evaporator temperature sensor costing $25.

I checked the 3 sensors in the air box as soon as the fault appeared but I found that they were all reacting to temperature change (change of resistance) and thought they were ok. The post stating that they could fail without detection made me think again.
I checked them again and they are all doing the same except that the faulty one seem to be about 4kohm different at the same temperature.

The easy way to see if your problems are coming from this sensor is to swap it with the sensor for the discharge air temperature (the two are on the left side). After this I started to have some kind of control but the left side was blowing colder than the right side. If you then swap this left sensor with the right side one and the fault moves there, you are sure the sensor is faulty.

Maybe it is worth trying this before going to replace the dual control valve.

Thanks again.
Hervé

Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 PM

HP774

Is those the sensor behind the nav it has 2 white plug on both side and a lil motor?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sensors location

The sensors are located in the footwell on the right side of the throtle pedal. If you put you head in there you should see what is on the attached picture (sorry allowed size makes it unreadable!).
The evaporator sensor is the one in the middle and is hard to pull out but it is coming. The other one on the side is not very accessible but feasable without removing anything. On the right side there is another sensor at about the same location but there you need to remove the footwell ventilation duct to remove it.

Hope you can sort your problem with this only.

Herve

Attached Thumbnails  Warm/Hot Air-sensors2.jpg  
Old 02-15-2009, 02:12 PM

I tired pulling on it but feels like I'm gonna break something and the other problem I'm having is my windshield fogs up really fast when is cold is the heater core? I didn't have no wet floor or smells and a shop told me "if it was your heater core your temper will be on hot and you couldn't drive you car" and when driving i feel warm air on my left driver side vent when nothing is turn on what is that?

Quick Reply: Warm/Hot Air